Camcorders forum

General discussion

Help on editing MiniDVD Video format

by LeftistLibertarian / February 7, 2010 9:11 AM PST

I have a Canon DC-100 MiniDVD Camcorder, and I normally record in VR format and edit it using Ulead Video Studio 11; however, I accidentally recorded something using the Video format, but Ulead doesn't recognize it, so I can't edit with it. I need advice on which program to use to convert it to VR so I can edit it in Ulead, which is the program I'm used to, or which program I can use to edit it in Video format as-is.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help on editing MiniDVD Video format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help on editing MiniDVD Video format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use NeroVision
by sektionschef / February 7, 2010 8:08 PM PST

Hi
I don't know what format you are dealing with but usually NeroVison is a good tool to convert your files back to mpeg2.
NeroVison is included in the Nero CD burning package so it could be that you already have it.
Just run nerovison, create a new DVD project, load your video file into it and then press Export to create an mpeg2 file.
Then you should be able to import this mpeg2 file into Videostudio.
Regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
Inserting MiniDVD Files into Ulead Video Studio Editor
by thyde337 / February 8, 2010 7:36 PM PST

I am not sure at which stage you have your problem with Ulead Video Studio 11. I presume that you have transferred the video from the camera to the computer (you have not told us how you do this) and the file is stored in AVI or another format, on the computer. You may not be able to copy the .AVI files using Ulead Video Studio Editor but you can import .AVI files into Studio 11 using the VideoStudio Movie Wizard which then stores them in the library. The best way to do this is to open Video Studio Editor, click on Tools/VideoStudio Movie Wizard. Then click on Library, on the next page click on the blue open-folder icon "Load video files into library", this opens the page where you can select the file you wish to import. You should see a box which allows you to select the format of the file you wish to import, select "All" and then browse to the folder where your downloaded file is stored. Select the file and then click on "Open". The file then appears in your Library. Close the Movie Wizard, you then return to the Editing page, and your selected file is displayed. You can now play with it to your heart's content.

This procedure works for me.

thyde9337

Collapse -
Can't download a miniDVD in Video format
by Marvdude / February 9, 2010 12:33 AM PST

Let me be crystal clear about this --- not only can the software not download the video on the mini DVD because it doesn't recognize it, being in Video format instead of VR format, but the PC itself doesn't even see anything on the mini DVD when it's in the DVD drive, yet if I put the mini DVD into my Canon DC-100 camera, the video is there. I checked to see if maybe it needed to be finalized, but that is not even an option. I've tried the AVS software and it doesn't see anything there either. I'm now going to try Nero 9 as recommended by the previous poster and see what happens.

Collapse -
Titles to keep in mind.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 2:53 AM PST

ISOBUSTER to get at the media.

SUPER VIDEO CONVERTER to convert what you dredge out of the media.

Collapse -
IsoBuster worked!
by Marvdude / October 9, 2010 7:32 AM PDT

Sorry for the late post some 8 months later, but this was a back-burner project obviously as I've been trying to do this for 2 years with no luck and have been extremely busy otherwise.

I extracted the files using IsoBuster and it worked, so thank you very much for the tip. Had to pay $29 to use it for extraction after it captured it, but was glad to do it. Only hitch I had was when I tried to play them after extraction using my VLC player, it would play for a minute or so, then suddenly start fast-forwarding often, but when I used my Power DVD program to view it, I had no problems, so I suspect it's an issue with the VLC player and will probably open fine in other programs.

Next step is to edit it, but the editor I've been using (Corel Video Studio 11) won't open them, so I'm trying to find a new editing software that can handle the .VOB files, plus my mini-DVD files that I shot in the correct VR mode, and mainly the files on my new Canon HG-20 AVCHD camera --- any recommendations?

I tried a trial version of Pinnacle Studio 14, but it won't download the AVCHD files, which is unusual as I have a friend with an HG-21 and he uses it.

Collapse -
Round 2. Find SUPER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2010 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: IsoBuster worked!
Collapse -
I doubt Nero will help
by sektionschef / February 9, 2010 5:11 AM PST

If your PC drive does not see any files on the miniDVD then I doubt that Nero sw will help here.
Does your camcorder has a USB interface? if yes then connect the cam to the PC via USB and try to transfer the files via the USB cable.
Regards
Sektionschef

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.