TVs & Home Theaters forum

Help needed with home Audio computer/stereo/tv setup

by blackened696 / December 11, 2012 8:45 AM PST

Im getting a lot of feedback through my stereo speakers. I have a very good gaming PC self built. I run a audio cable from my computer "on board audio reltek off a EGA x58 mobo" to my home stereo. The stereo is a Philips FWM587. It has a AUX in the back and a game port in the front. My PC is conected to the game port and my TV is on the AUX and i press the button to which one i want to use or i can mix them. I have no issues at all when only 1 or the other is connected. The feedback only happens when both things are hooked up. I also have a HDMI cable running from my pc to TV so i can watch downloaded shows on my tv or whatever. The feedback remains while the hdmi cable is plugged into the TV. However when i take it out its much louder. Im only pointing that out because that seems wierd to me and i use no audio setting through hdmi. Once again though if i only have my pc hooked up and not tv audio or vise versa there is no issues anywhere. My TV is connected to the stereo with an audio cable to the aux with a standard r/w/3.5. Please note all my cables are brand new off amazon and i have tried many others so it is not the wires. My dvd player is hooked up to the tv with a r/y/w-r/y/w. No issues there just putting it out there. I have tried unplugging everything beside the tv audio wire and the pc ausio but that helps none. And once again everything works fine if i only have my pc hooked up or my tv hooked up but not both at the same time. My TV is a Sony Bravia 32 inch.

Please help if you can. Any idea or questions will be great. If you need to know more just ask.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed with home Audio computer/stereo/tv setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed with home Audio computer/stereo/tv setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by blackened696 / December 11, 2012 8:49 AM PST hooked up with r/w - r/w not r/w - 3.5

Collapse -
by blackened696 / December 11, 2012 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: edit

I also just noticed if i unhook my coaxil from the tv the feedback stops quite a bit but not completly. My outside cable plugs into a converter box for basic chanels not a cable box and then the box to the tv.

Collapse -
Audio Hum
by sunwatcher / December 11, 2012 12:11 PM PST

I'm guessing that you're experiencing audio hum and not feedback (i.e. audio feedback from a microphone).

You likely have some sort of grounding issue. The problem may be associated with electrical wiring, improperly grounded coax cables or your a/v devices.

Googling "ground loops" brings up some good articles such as the one at this link.

Collapse -
Polarized and non-polarized AC plugs
by mjd420nova / December 12, 2012 7:55 AM PST

In many older homes, there is no grounded outlet, only two AC prongs. Ground busters and two wire cords plugged in without close attention to polarity ( one blade wider than the other) can result in AC hum, ground loops and sometimes a little smoke. Have the outlets checked with a $15. tool to pinpoint the problem outlet/device. These ground loops can be lethal.....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.