Samsung forum

General discussion

Help needed w/ BDP-3600 losing Netflix Activation

by tushar mandrekar / June 26, 2009 7:29 AM PDT

I watch nightly on Netflix and each night I have prompt telling me that my BDP has been deactivated by Netflix and need to re-Activate. I do this and player works fine. I turn player on and off from the red power button on the remote; I never un-plug the unit. I see threads in forums talking about this problem occuring with power cycling but they appear to be discussing unplugging the player. My case it's just turning the player on, off from the remote that causes it. No other setup seems to be lost. Pandora has no problem (so far) and the connection to my wireless is not lost.

Any guidance appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed w/ BDP-3600 losing Netflix Activation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed w/ BDP-3600 losing Netflix Activation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help needed w/ BDP-3600 losing Netflix Activation
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / June 26, 2009 7:53 AM PDT

tushar mandrekar,

There could be a couple things at work here. The most probable issue is that your BD player is not receiving adequate power. Try changing where you plug it in and see if that helps at all. If not, i would also suggest trying to update the firmware. There may not be anything wrong at all with your player, but its always good to be on the safe side. Try these steps and see if they work out for you.

- CE_Tech

Collapse -
Is the concern about power draw there if using UPS?
by tushar mandrekar / June 26, 2009 8:57 AM PDT

I have the TV, a powerful multi-channel amp, subwoofer, and the BD Player plugged into a UPS unit which in turn goes into a wall socket.

If I understand your suggestion, you think maybe my house electrical wiring provides too little current draw for maintaining BD Player's electronics in off-state (memory, clock, etc), though the same wiring has sufficient power for the BD Player in on-state(and TV, amplifier, subwoofer) ?

Not sure I follow your suggested root cause Please explain.

For Firmware, where should I go for most current or should I trust the player to check if it is current?

Collapse -
Is the concern about power draw there if using UPS?
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / June 26, 2009 9:10 AM PDT

tushar mandrekar,

The power issue was just a suggestion. I have seen this happen in other devises and I'm just trying to work all the angles here since I can not be in your residence actually trouble shooting the issue. Since you have the BD player hooked into the UPS, try hooking it directly into the wall, and see if that changes anything. Its worth a shot if there's a possibility it can alleviate the issue.

If you head to: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/support.do?group=audiovideo&type=blu_ray&subtype=blu_raydiscplayers&model_nm=BD-P3600A&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=&prd_ia_cd=03020100&disp_nm=BD-P3600&model_cd=BD-P3600A/XAA&menu=download

you can download the latest firmware if its available, and the instructions to update the player are there as well.

Also, if you head to your netflix account, then in "Your Account", under "Account Preferences", click the "Manage your Site Connections", do you see your BD player as an authorized device?

- CE_Tech

Collapse -
Think issue is identified and resolved.
by tushar mandrekar / July 2, 2009 1:19 AM PDT

The activation is disappearing from Netflix site. Netflix suggest it could be the Client Lease Date is set too short on router which forces a loss of activation information. I have changed my router from DHCP to Static IP and will see if the issue is resolved.

Collapse -
Netflix says it's a Samsung Issue
by mudge37 / June 2, 2010 12:07 PM PDT

This loss of activation code occurs regularly with my Samsung BD-C6500 for no reason. It's a Samsung glitch. I phoned Netflix about it. They say that it's an issue with several Samsung models. Netflix is talking to Samsung about it. My guess is that you and I are probably stuck. I don't think Netflix will get anywhere with Samsung, which has the worst customer service and problem-solving staff in just about the entire electronics field. That's based on several personal experiences that are too long and painful to describe. This Samsung player is the last of their products that I will buy.

Collapse -
Same Problem with BD-C6500
by mgullick / August 6, 2010 6:35 AM PDT

I'm getting pretty dang tired of having my unit lose it's mind. This is the 3rd time I've had to activate the BD-C6500 with Netflix. I never had a problem with my ROKU box. It was on the same router so I don't believe it's a "lease time" issue. I have the most up-to-date firmware so that's not the problem either. I think it's solely a Samsung issue and they don't want to admit they're at fault.

Collapse -
Absolutely a Samsung Issue
by mudge37 / August 6, 2010 11:29 PM PDT

Indeed! I would be less inclined to jump on Samsung except that I've had other issues with with operation of the BD-C6500 and, previously, with the BDP-2500. I've dealt with them on the phone, sent e-mails, consulted their error-riddled (dead links) website, and even written letters to executives (no reply). When they do respond, it's nonsense or a denial. Bottom Line: Don't buy Samsung Blu-ray, and probably shun their products altogether.

Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6500 losing Netflix Activation
by rubberneck1 / September 23, 2010 2:34 PM PDT

I'm guessing the poster found a solution by now. But for any else -- here's what worked for me. I did two things so not sure which fixed it. First activate your BD player from your Netflix account. If your player already shows up as activated -- go on to the next step. Now delete your BD player activation. Now activate the BP again. Now go to your BD player Settings Menu (it looks like a gear); then Systems, then Initial Settings. Now setup everything again just like you did before, especially relevant I think would be the Network settings. Be sure to get Wireless or Hardwired setting correct, Passphrase or PIN for your router. You may get a warning that a certain type of encryption isn't supported (WPA or TKIP). Ignore this especially if you were able to connect to the internet (able to get a new Netflix activation code). Good luck!

Collapse -
This is stupid
by mudge37 / September 24, 2010 1:17 AM PDT

Why should I have to go through all this? Redoing all the network connections is hardly a simple task. I already did it once (unnecessarily!) on Samsung's advice about another problem. (There was a simpler fix, but Samsung's tech idiots didn't know about it.) Besides, there's no guarantee that, after I spend an hour doing this, the activation code will stick. Lately, it has sometimes. When a glitch such as this comes and goes even though I change nothing, it's obviously a flaw at Samsung's end. After almost a year of reentering activation codes, I just have a link on my computer to make it easier to do -- except that it means running upstairs to my computer each time I want to access Netflix. Bottom Line: I'm now shopping for some other toys (new video camera, larger computer monitor), and I'm automatically NOT including anything made by Samsung as a possibility. A company that ignores consumer complaints or gives nonanswers when it does respond is not going to get my dollars.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.