Computer Help forum

Question

Help! My screen is Glitching/Flickering/Etc.

by BlazingTiger / December 21, 2012 5:42 AM PST
Computer Specs:
CPU: Intel i-5 2500k
RAM: 16GB G.Skill
GPU: XFX HD6850
Okay so i was playing a game and my computer decides to do an update on me and shuts down my computer mid game. So my computer installs the updates, shuts down, and restarts. I log into Windows and go to run the game again and the bottom half of the game is glitching showing other parts of the screen in the wrong parts (at the start menu of the game) just flickering them. This also happens in any browser (tried chrome, IE and FireFox), really bad when watching a video like on youtube.

A better example i guess would be the bottom right of my screen theres a popup telling me avast needs to update and that little section also flickered on the far left side of my screen. Even as i type this thread my screen flickers every once in awhile.

Steps i already took:
At first i restored back to a restore point (12/16/12) before the update took place. But that didn't fix it. So i restarted my computer (i installed the updates again since it seemed they weren't the issue and they were critical updates. KB2753842 and KB915597.)

I made sure my GPU was up to date which it was. So i tried uninstalling the driver and re-installing and restarting my PC, still didn't work.

Not sure what seems to be the issue here. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If need be i will take a short video of my screen and put it on Youtube so you can see EXACTLY whats going on.

Thank You!
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! My screen is Glitching/Flickering/Etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! My screen is Glitching/Flickering/Etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Swapping In A Known Good Monitor?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 7:44 AM PST

Because this type of thing can happen when a monitor starts heading south, I'd start by exchanging monitors. Of course, the graphics card could be going bad as well, but that would be the next replacement if a different monitor doesn't fix the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Well then...
by BlazingTiger / December 23, 2012 12:06 PM PST

Woulda been pretty disapointed if my 15 month old monitor or GPU was bad but took your advice.

Note: My Monitor is connected to the GPU via HDMI cable.

I disconected my monitor and didn't have any other HDMI monitors laying around so substituted a DVI monitor and connected it to my GPU. the DVI monitor looked fine. Youtube videos didn't mess up the screen at all. But didn't wanna have to ditch my $260 monitor so i kept positive and thought maybe it was the HDMI cable. So i hooked up my monitor to my PS3 and it worked fine. So that just left me to think something was wrong with the HDMI port on my GPU. So i plugged my monitor back into my GPU via HDMI and made sure cable was securely plugged into my monitor aaaaand it worked just fine... Guess the cable was just a little lose on my monitor? But i think that would result in a constant glitchyness to the screen not just when playing videos. Not sure what caused it but i'm happy its fixed. So thanks a lot for your suggestion! Without it who knows what i would of done.

Collapse -
(NT) God Job & Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Well then...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.