Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP! My PC Shuts down when I play ANY Video!

by peakcelln / August 2, 2010 7:16 AM PDT

I hate this PC. I have had one problem after another, but I can't afford another PC right now and have to deal with this POS Emachines.

AMD Athlon Processor 2650e
1.61 ghz 1.75GB Ram 160gb HD

Windows XP Home
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Everything has been working fine now for about 6 months(So I'm 3 mos overdo for a crash) since I had to wipe everthing and restart.

Last week I had to tape a Digital Video and then edit it using Windows Movie Maker. The storing was very slow but I finally finished the project. Then I decided to tape one last thing on my Nokia N95 (A phone with a very good Carl Zeiss video recorder in it). I tried to merge it on WMM but it could not find it because WMM doesnt recognize mp4's(Even though it said it does, but thats another problem). So first I downloaded "FLV Converter" because the description stated it would convert my mp4 to AVI. It didnt. Then I DLed another converter called Leavo or something like that. It would only do what I needed if I bought the upgraded version. Then I read theres been a program around for years that would do the trick called "mp4camavi" or something like that. I downloaded the program and tried to convert the Nokia video to an avi file. It didnt do it the normal way(I dont know why) but then I tried a different way and it dumped it in the "Video Out" folder the program reccomended that I build. When I went to play the Video to see if it would play, It quickly acted like it would play it by showing the Windows Media Screen for a second then the whole screen went black and my PC shut down.
Now whenever I play ANY video, online or on my PC, it causes my PC to shut down and reboot. I then uninstalled all the programs I mentioned above, and it still does the same thing. I deleted the "Mp4camavi" folder because the program was not listed in my Programs file(Unless its under a different name). I even deleted the Windows Live program I had just uploaded from windows site; but still does the same thing. Then I opened up the back of the PC and cleaned out the fan, and the processor(?) below it, still does it. Then I Removed the Original Ram I had and tried it with the aftermarket one I put in, and then tried it with only the original, still same thing. I do notice each time my PC starts while its loading AVG and everything else the screen goes black for a half of second(It never has done that before). I have run out of ideas. I havent done a restore yet because I know it will erase everything on my desktop and I would have to back up a lot of programs with my Micro SD cards. I'm a cellphone repair guy and need that desktop for all my reference stuff; its taken me hundreds of hours to get back what I lost the last time. If you havent guessed yet, I'm not much of a Computer guy, but I do have a little tech ability in being able to take apart any cell phone. ANYONE! PLEASE HELP!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! My PC Shuts down when I play ANY Video!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! My PC Shuts down when I play ANY Video!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the usual. Clean it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 7:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Clean It?!?
by peakcelln / August 3, 2010 2:39 AM PDT

As I wrote in the first post, I did clean it. I took the fan off and what I believe to be the processor out(It was about 2" square and had 50-100 pin/plugs in it) and cleaned the surface of that too.

As for the link to the Video, very funny. Unless of coarse you were being serious; for which I remind you the basis of this problem, I can't play any videos.

Collapse -
Since you cleaned the CPU surface, I missed
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Clean It?!?

I missed where you applied heat sink compound.

Your post was a monolithic post with no spacing so I missed a detail but I'll stick to "it sounds like an overheating part."

Remember that parts can become heat sensitive and it's rough on owners as they don't want to replace a board, CPU or card. But it sounds like a part has aged.

Collapse -
What is overheated?
by peakcelln / August 3, 2010 2:58 AM PDT

Just for the record I did try and do spaces when I wrote it, for whatever reason it didnt show that way. I also tried to explain as much as possible as the forum rules suggest.

How do I tell which part is over heating? I did DL a program called Speed Fan yesterday, but I'm not sure how to read it or what it means.

This pc has only been used a little over a year and has already had the Hard Drive replaced once(After only 3 months of use), and then crashed again 3 months later. I was able to save it the second time but lost all my info.

After I cleaned the fan I did notice it spinning faster on start up; but the problem still persists.

AVG ran last night and there are no viruses it picked up. Any other Ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated; Thanx!

Collapse -
I noted the CPU heat sink compound.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: What is overheated?

And since you didn't reply that you applied fresh compound I'm left to guess that there is no heat sink compound. It's well known that some think this is optional.

As this is a key item, easy to fix by putting on the compound why not do that next?

As to your question I didn't write anything was over heating. I wrote that parts can be heat sensitive. That is when new they ran fine at say 50C. As the part aged it may not work so well at 50C. This issue can cause a lot of lost time.

Collapse -
Heat sink Compund?
by peakcelln / August 3, 2010 4:47 AM PDT

Uh oh...I now remember the dust on the bottom of the Cooling turbine below the fan and the top of the Processor(That 2" square thing) was a little thick and seemed slightly moist(For lack of a better term) for just dust.Seemed like there was something else in the dust.

Am I to understand youre suppose to put this compound on the bottom of the fan turbine and top of the processor? if so, I didnt. I actually cleaned it all off thinking it was thick dust.

Since my last post, I tried to do a system restore. I went back to last friday and it went thru the whole cyle of restore and then it errored out saying it couldnt do it. I then went back everyday for a week and each time it didnt complete the system restore. I dont know what thats all about.

When my PC shuts down after attempting to play a video of any sort and then reboots, I get a Send to Microsoft Error. Can you tell from that error report what the problem is? The Files included seem to be in my Locals Temp files. I was contemplating just deleting them, but I didnt want to screw it up anymore.

I also read somewhere else it could be using the Windows movie Maker burned out my Video Card? It said I might need to replace it. My question is where is it? Is it easy to replace(As in Ram)? And what is a reccomended good Video card(Is it system related/dependant)?

Hopefully going thru all these steps will help others going thru this same thing. Thanx again.

Collapse -
I think you have found the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Heat sink Compund?
Collapse -
Took your advice
by peakcelln / August 3, 2010 5:15 AM PDT

I went ahead and ordered from Geeks. Is there a site that will show me how to apply it to my particular eMachine? Or do I have to google? I did notice it really wasnt that bad as far as the dust was concerned, but its worth a try.

So you dont think it would be a bad video card? That seemed more logical to me. Just in case, where is my video card located? Is there a place on my system I can find out whether or not I have a good model/brand of Video Card? Thanx again.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Took your advice

Without the compound all bets are off and we can place new bets that the CPU could be damaged. I'd turn off the power from this machine until the repairs are complete.

Again, applying heatsink compound is an easy thing and widely documented.

Collapse -
Fixed It!
by peakcelln / August 3, 2010 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I did a little research and found the Video Card I had was a Nvidia GeForce 6150e NForce 430 and a few people have had these problems. I went to Nvidia and had them do a PC Scan and found I needed an update to my driver that was not installed automatically (As they usuaully are)on July 19th(Which would figure correctly.. For whatever reason, this was the same problem at least one other had. I downloaded the driver, installed it and Wala...My Videos works again with out crashing my system.

I will still put the compund on and possibly prevent future problems by doing so. Thanx for your help. I hope this helps someone else.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.