Phones forum

General discussion

Help, my LG VX3200 phone went through the wash

by ThatDangCat / February 19, 2005 12:03 AM PST

My LG VX3200 phone accidentally went through the laundry machine (only the washer, not the dryer) and now it is not working. Switching batteries does not make it work. It doesn't work when plugged in to charge. If I let it just sit out to dry, is there a chance that it might work? Or is there something else I should be doing? Or should I just start shopping for a new cell phone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help, my LG VX3200 phone went through the wash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help, my LG VX3200 phone went through the wash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Phone Wash
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 19, 2005 8:51 AM PST

Best advice is to take apart as much as possible (battery, cover, case) and attempt to dry out. No promises, but it can't hurt. You might need to start shopping for a new one though.

Collapse -
C|Net awaits . . . what is the word?
by jbroshear / February 28, 2006 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Phone Wash

Did it dry out? Is it working?

Collapse -
LG phone through the washing machine
by karenccthompson / April 10, 2005 3:46 AM PDT

Did your phone ever work again? I just washed my son's and have the same questions you did.

Collapse -
washed mine too
by labguyone / May 8, 2005 2:45 AM PDT

My LG flip phone went through the washing machine this morning. I was able to take it apart - the keypad and screen halves were both just screwed together - and dry it and it seems to work. It may be a little quiet on the speaker part, so others can't hear me as well as they could, but I hope that will dry out more and work better too. I figured there was nothing to lose by taking it apart. And it worked.

Collapse -
I heard that if u bake it

I heard that if u "bake" it, put it in the oven WITH OUT the battery or battery cover for about an hour at like 400 degrees! and let it sit for about 24 that it should work! but it's not for sure that it will work.

Collapse -
by jenseits / March 12, 2006 8:33 PM PST

are you serious?! Hilarious.

Collapse -
mmm... yeah
by 21012561490841956051018971183198-Rydog171 / April 1, 2006 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: bwahhahaha

Yeah, my friend did that, GUESS WHAT? it worked.

Collapse -
dont worry!
by killty / February 26, 2006 12:47 AM PST

my cell phone got dropped in a pool, all you have to do is dry it out for a few days & hopefully it will turn on, because thats what happened to mine. just let it dry out & give it some time & im sure it will be alright, the phone is really durable

Collapse -
So... what eventually happened
by wirelesswendy / March 14, 2006 11:20 PM PST

Can we get an update? Did you let it dry out? Did you bake it (as someone suggested)? Or did you end up buying a new handset?

Collapse -
If it does not work, DON'T but a new one from WIREFLY
by benthampl / March 16, 2006 2:27 PM PST

Watch out if someone tells you to try Wirefly for a replacement phone.....they suck

Collapse -
dunked Nokia 6102 - How to avoid 'down time'
by wblais1 / March 17, 2006 3:25 PM PST

well amongst all of the water logged conversation, I'd like to point out a few things.

- if you get the phone wet period... to even have a chance of it working again, take apart everything you can get off of it immediately. do NOT reassemble OR attempt to charge it for at LEAST 3 days. this will POSSIBLY prevent shorts.

- you will probably need a new battery even if the phone will turn back on... shorted out batteries will "charge" but only hold on for MAX 30 mins.

- after talking to many "cell phone repair experts" (aka my uncle who is a cingular network/phone tech, and multiple 'cell phone repair shops' here in Memphis) the general consensus is WET PHONE = SCREWED.

- $4 bucks a month or so for insurance and AT LEAST a $50 copay to replace a phone with either a new or 'refurbished' phone maybe doesn't sound reasonable, but looking at the alternative of my accident prone fiance... we've lost one phone and counting, and thank heavens I don't have to buy a new $180 phone at retail price...

1) wet phone = the PHONE ONLY is screwed (the SIM CHIP will usually SURVIVE!!!)
2) if possible, keep an older phone around to serve as a backup (if you have any for the same network from 'upgrade' offers)
3) SERIOUSLY consider insurance depending on the phone cost / who is using it...

Collapse -
Wirefly doesn't sell replacement phones
by mightyphung / March 23, 2006 5:32 AM PST

Wirefly only has deals for people looking to switch carriers when their contracts are up. Not the place to go for replacement phones.

Collapse -
LG phone in the washer
by loggedphone / April 21, 2009 9:15 PM PDT

My son's LG VX9400 went through the washer. I took the battery off and scrounged up some desiccant packets from some of my shoe boxes, put the phone, battery, and desiccant in a ziplock baggie, and sealed it tight. After two days, I took the phone and battery out of the baggie and covered them in a bowl of uncooked rice. After one day, I put the battery back on, powered the phone, and it worked!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.