PC Hardware forum

Question

Help! My Katana Scythe 3 stopped spinning all of a sudden?!

by OneHellOfANight / August 31, 2012 3:02 PM PDT

Hi.
Yesterday everything was fine, today my PC shut down without warning 2 times, so I took a closer look inside and noticed my Scythe Katana 3 CPU Fan that I used to cool my AMD Phenom 9950 is not even trying to spin. It's barely a year old, and that it does not even try to spin up strikes me as very weird. Nothing has changed since yesterday that I am aware off.
I'm using the MSI K9A2 KF-F as my motherboard and the Be quiet! Dark Power Pro BQT P9-550W is my PSU. Is there still anything I could try before I go buy a new fan? Like I already said, that it would just stop working without giving a fight strikes me as very unusual and makes me doubt whether it is really broken or not.
Help would be much appreciated. Wish you all a nice and hopefully trouble free weekend.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! My Katana Scythe 3 stopped spinning all of a sudden?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! My Katana Scythe 3 stopped spinning all of a sudden?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The test is pretty simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2012 1:16 AM PDT

Take the fan to a bench and apply power to the fan. If it does not spin, it's dead.

Sorry if this is too basic for some. But it's a simple bench test that I've done too many times.
Bob

Collapse -
What bench..?
by OneHellOfANight / September 1, 2012 3:01 PM PDT

I'm assuming you mean that I am to apply a power source to the fan outside of my PC tower? How precisely am I to do this? I may have a 9V block battery and I may also find two suitable cables. Will that work or can 9V damage the fan (assuming it's not dead yet?).
Also, there are four connections for the fan, not just two. Probably some of them are for spin speed or temperature management? Will I damage the fan if I connect the battery to the wrong two connections?
Also I don't want to modify the fan or it's cables itself in any way because I'm not confident about returning it to it's original state.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2012 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: What bench..?

But some basic electrical or electronic skills are required to do such tests. Since 9V is usually too low to spin a 12V fan the worst that can happen is it won't spin. And all the fans (many thousands over a few decades) take the power either way, I can only think you are very new to this.

Sorry but you have to start somewhere. I was under the impression you repaired PCs but it looks like you don't. Why not replace the failed fan?
Bob

Collapse -
Fine
by OneHellOfANight / September 2, 2012 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Guess I will have to replace it then. Thanks anyways.
And here's one more personal advice from me to you: by saying "sorry" like that you make the person without the skills more aware of the lack. Maybe next time try saying something like "so it seems you don't have much experience repairing PCs ...". I would probably feel less wounded that way. It wasn't a big deal, but i did feel a little sting when I read it the way you wrote it.

Collapse -
I try to avoid that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Fine

But I fail at times. I like to read where people are doing their own work but learning the basics of electrical work is a wallet saver. Even if you didn't test the fan, replacing it yourself is a trivial PC task and can save you 100 bucks over a shop fee.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
If it were mine....I'd just replace the CPU HS Fan. The
by VAPCMD / September 1, 2012 9:44 AM PDT

fight or the warning is ....the system either beeps providing the feature is turned on or it shuts down to protect it from further damage.

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Re: stopped spinning all of a sudden
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 5:17 PM PDT

That can happen with hardware, that it just stops for some reason. If it didn't we could all be driving a T-Ford and viewing a B&W television (because they didn't stop working either).

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.