Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help, my internet browser keeps crashing!

by inigo21 / October 13, 2007 10:12 PM PDT

Hi my internet browser keeps crashing, it usually happens when I have opened more than one internet tab. This has also hapened mith my google sketchup program. When it crashes the program freezes, displays a loading timer in response to whatever task i've asked it to do and then freezes, then I will get a pop-up informing me that this program isn't responding. I have sent the error report off every time and microsoft sent me a message informing me that it could be my version of adobe flash playe, so I updated my flash player and it didn't help. Then I used spybot sd to scan the computer, it found 'burst media' which I then removed but this still didn't help. After this I used lavasoft ad-aware to check if I had any spy-ware, I got rid of a 'toolbar.softo' but this still didn't stop the problem.
I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can help me with this problem as I have already lost a lot of work.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help, my internet browser keeps crashing!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help, my internet browser keeps crashing!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it is the Flash Player
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 13, 2007 11:16 PM PDT

how did you uninstall that?

Adobe recommend you use their uninstaller, here;
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

Also, get rid of any Internet Explorer add-ons like BHO's. Google will help you find out what BHO's are and you can use BHODemon to remove them.

You didn't say but I assume you are using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, and not any other type of browser.

Mark

Collapse -
Quick checks
by Willy / October 13, 2007 11:40 PM PDT

Goto the control panel, find add/remove pgms., click on IE browser and then hit the "repair" portion. See if that helps. If you have an IE browser that isn't ver.7, try as a last resort to upgrade. As for Flash, etc., look for any updates or again if that pgm. has a repair option as well, try it. If no repair, then cancel.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
thankyou, but nothing worked!
by inigo21 / October 14, 2007 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick checks

thankyou for the help, but none of the things you suggested have worked, I should have been more informative though, I am using internet explorer 7 but I do not think it has anything to do with internet explorer as it has so far happeded on three programs-
internet explorer 7
google sketchup
BT yahoo! broadband browser
It happend whenever I am putting any sort of strain on the computer (when I am switching veiws on a complex model on sketchup for example), however previously my computer could easily do these things.
I have also noticed that when I first downloaded google sketchup it worked perfectly but after about an hour it too started to 'not respond'.
Thankyou for all the help you have given me so far but I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me with this problem.

Collapse -
Still not enough info.
by BrianZachary / October 14, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

The red text at the top of the posting page says:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

The problem you are having may have nothing to do with the browser, it could be something else like a hardware issue. Hard to tell without any of that info.

Still, try a more popular browser like Firefox and see if the problem still occurs.

If I am understanding you correctly, everything was fine until you installed Google Sketcher. Did you try uninstalling that to see if there's still a problem?

If all else fails, try doing a System Restore back to when everything was working ok.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.