TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HELP my HDMi does not work for my blu ray

by revolledo / June 26, 2007 10:52 AM PDT

Hi, I have a question for my blu ray. When I play the blu ray disc is not in 1080p because it seems the cable HDMI does not work. It suppose to read HDMI in the player which it doesn't when it is conneceted. Is it the cable or the player?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP my HDMi does not work for my blu ray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP my HDMi does not work for my blu ray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) What Tv do you have?
by givemeaname / June 26, 2007 10:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
hi
by revolledo / June 26, 2007 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: What Tv do you have?

I have a 40" Sony LCD Bravia KDL-40v2500

Collapse -
by givemeaname / June 26, 2007 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

Ok not that.
What BD player do you have? Have you done all the recent updates?

Is ANY thing showing up on the tv screen?

Are you running the HDMI throw a reciever before the tv? (Bd player to receiver to tv) If so what reciever?

Collapse -
:(
by revolledo / June 26, 2007 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: .....

I have the first BR that came up and no, I did not have any update. When I bought the BR it was working fine then it did not work so I excahnged it for other one in best buy. My HDMI connection goes directly to TV. I don't use a receiver.

Collapse -
by revolledo / June 26, 2007 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: :(

The BR works but it does not get to 1080p because cable does not work

Collapse -
Is it
by givemeaname / June 26, 2007 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

an old HDMI cable?

What brand BD player is it?

Collapse -
by revolledo / June 26, 2007 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it

it is a sony BR and the cable was new. I bought it a month ago. It is a best buy brand and cost me about $85

Collapse -
but
by givemeaname / June 26, 2007 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

your getting 1080i or 720p throw the HDMI just not 1080p?

Collapse -
.....!!!
by revolledo / June 26, 2007 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: but

yes, 1080i because my HDMI cable does not work! that's what I think. when you plug the cable to BR it appears HDMI in the BR, in my case it doesn't so that is what I think my cable must be damaged. But how?

Collapse -
so your
by givemeaname / June 26, 2007 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: .....!!!
Collapse -
one last question!
by revolledo / June 26, 2007 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: so your

you dais the port HDMI went bad either on TV or BR? that means it may not work at all if I buy other cable?

Collapse -
HDMI ports
by givemeaname / June 26, 2007 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: one last question!

Are not made very good & if you put 'too much' weight is but on them that can damage it. Bumping into the cable while it is in the port can damage the port. I am not talking 10-20 pounds but like 1-5 pounds can do it. & when it does the port is dead.
I have a samsung LCD that has a dead port because I used a DVI cable & put a HDMI adapter on the end & it was to much weight for the port & now it's port is dead.

Start with the cable, then go from there

Collapse -
um..............
by masterying01 / June 26, 2007 2:26 PM PDT

1.) THere have been NUMEROUS updates for the sony blu-ray first generation ever since it first came out. what movie are you trying to watch? you NEED to update it. call up sony and they'll send you a free firmware update cd. its not something that you can pass up. you NEED to update it.

2.) rocketfish (best buy brand cables) are complete garbage. the acoustic research brand they sell will work just fine. a cheap cable will not transfer a 1080p signal. a good cable will.

3.) how exactly do you know your player is outputing 1080i/720p instead of 1080p? what movie are you trying to watch?

Collapse -
And more um...
by Dan Filice / June 26, 2007 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: um..............

The TV has two HDMI inputs. Have you tried to use both to see what happens. I don't have a BlueRay player, but does it have a setup menu that allows you to choose whether or not to output 1080p? I'd try a few more troubleshooting options before you buy another HDMI cable. Of course, if you want to do a simple cable test, take the cable back to Best Buy and have someone hook it up to see if it works. You've got too many variables that you haven't tried yet. Get to work! Most often, problems like this end up being operator error.

Collapse -
REVOL WARNING STOP LISTEN
by stewart norrie / June 26, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

First go into the menue and select set up disk should be in and in the stop position then you have the option to select 480.720. 180 direct and auto select auto this should solve the problem no DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THE UPDATE FIRMWARE DISK. contact sony or go to a sony dealer. to have the update done there is a procudure that has to be done for proper upgrade I know I just installed upgrade disk and player stopped working had to send unit to sonmy repair center to have it repaired If you still have problems please post back I had the same problem and when I selected the auto position picture came on perfectly 1080P really pops good luck steweee

Collapse -
well
by revolledo / June 27, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

I know it is not playing 1080p because in the manual book says unles the word HDMI appears on the BR player the resolution can be from 720 and 1080i. Since it does not read that and practically the cable does not work I am assuming it is 1080i. I will try to replace the cable, hopefully my port isn't damaged. However I only see one HDMI port in my TV.

Collapse -
Just
by givemeaname / June 27, 2007 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: well

hit the 'Display' button on the Tv remote, the tv will tell you what type of input is being sent to the TV, it will be on the top right side of the tv screen.

If the port was damage you will get NOTHING.

You 100% sure about the TV model #, all new sonys have 2-3 HDMI ports now & I just checked on the cnet website the 2500 has 2 HDMI ports, there right on top on each other.

Collapse -
HDMI
by Dan Filice / June 27, 2007 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: well

Take a peek at this link direct to the Sony website: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?region_id=1&mdl=KDL40V2500.

According to the specs and instruction manual, your TV has TWO rear HDMI inputs. Before you go spend another $30-$50 on a new HDMI cable, take the one you have back to Best Buy and have them connect it to make sure it works. Sheesh. Do some simple trouble-shooting steps before you panic.

Collapse -
Hdmi
by kameleon_o / June 27, 2007 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

I just helped a friend hook up her BD device, a PS3, to the very same Sony LCD. Worked perfectly on her TV. The problem was that once the PS3 was setup and and tuned itself to her TV and detected the 1080P settings, the only way to get it synced with another TV was to totally reset the device. It wouldn't work on my TV.

I used a cheap HDMI cable that I bought for $8 bucks off Ebay. You don't need to buy those expensive cables. Just my opinion, these digital cables either work or they don't. I'm not saying buy cheap, crappy cables, just inexpensive ones.

Collapse -
READ MY LIPS
by stewart norrie / June 28, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

On the output mode select auto nothing else. then when you play a blue ray disk light emits in the center of the player showing its a blue ray movie also you will know if your watching a 1080P because picture quality will blow you away and the final warning do not attempt to run the file update disk . the disk comes with no instructions so you dont follow the procuders you will screw up the player and will have to send it to sony repair thats what happened to me if everything else fails read the owners manual ha ha steweee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.