Mac OS forum

General discussion

Help! My G5 will not recognize my CD/DVD drive

by SDADGIRL / December 2, 2007 5:32 PM PST

Can't mount a CD. Nothing shows up on my hard drive once I put a CD in the tray. Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! My G5 will not recognize my CD/DVD drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! My G5 will not recognize my CD/DVD drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CD-drive
by Kees Bakker / December 2, 2007 5:38 PM PST

Don't know about Mac. But on a Windows PC I'd start with opening the case, checking the cables and plugging in another drive to see if that makes a difference.
Especially if I knew that I hadn't done anything related with the software recently (like uninstalling CD-writer software or removing viruses). If I had done that, and couldn't find any obvious hardware issues, I'd start with a System Restore.
But that's for Windows, of course.

Hardware fails sometimes, and this is a typical symptom. It's a rather simple repair.

Kees

Collapse -
RE: CD-drive
by SDADGIRL / December 2, 2007 5:47 PM PST
In reply to: Re: CD-drive

Will check it out, thanks.

Collapse -
More information is required
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 5:23 AM PST

namely the type of G5 this machine is.

A PowerMac G5, (Tower without an integral monitor) or an iMac G5 (Desktop with integral monitor)

If this is the former, then checkin on cables and such may solve the problem but if it is the latter you will not easily be able to do this.

Does this problem occur with every CD, just a blank one or only home burned ones? Can the drive read commercial DVD's?

What version of OS X are you running? You may have a system preference turned off so that mounted CD/DVD's do not appear on the desktop.

BTW, a small point but mounted CD's and DVD's appear on the desktop and not on the hard drive.

P

Collapse -
Help! My G5 will not recognize my CD/DVD drive
by SDADGIRL / December 3, 2007 5:38 AM PST

Yes, a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, not an iMac. Am on OS X v. 10.4.11.

Nothing is being recognized whether it is a blank CD/DVD or a CD chock full of important info. Zippo. Not seeing anything on my Desktop. Have turned off computer, unplugged and replugged in cables but no such luck.

Collapse -
Does the disc spin up and stop?
by grimgraphix / December 3, 2007 6:27 AM PST

Do you hear any unusual noises like grinding gears or a lack of normal activity such as failure to hear the disc spin or the laser eye traveling back and forth, trying to read information?

Collapse -
Re: Does the disc spin up and stop?
by SDADGIRL / December 3, 2007 6:51 AM PST

When the trouble began last night I heard a quick noise from the drive as I opened the tray. But when I put the CD in, closed it, nothing happened. No grinding or whirring noise as if it were trying to read it. Nothing.

Collapse -
These drives do die.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 8:21 AM PST

I get out the CD/DVD lens cleaner, try that and then swap in a new drive. I know there are owners that are loathe to change out a drive but at today's costs it's not that big a deal.

Bob

Collapse -
At least you can buy them cheap and Power Mac G5s are easy
by BeatleMegaFan / December 3, 2007 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: These drives do die.

to open up! Just take the drive out and plug in a new one.

Or you could buy one of those Sony Blu-Ray drives for x amount of $! LOL. Anyway, I find it peculiar that Mac drives can die so quickly. The G5s aren't too old. My 500Mhz HP desktop has had the same drive for several years, before the G5 was out and it runs and burns CDs well. I've never replaced a drive in my HP machines because of failure, only for speeds and quality. Usually it's to upgrade for burning and such. And Apple is "supposed" to be the best out there, so why should my outdated HP junk last longer? It is of good quality though ;-). But I digress...
Good luck with the drive. Hope you find a new, better replacement.
-BMF

Collapse -
New Drive for the G5
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: These drives do die.

macsales.com will do you a nice 16X DVD R/W Dual Layer for the mighty sum of $40.00

As Bob says, they die

P

Collapse -
Thanks!
by SDADGIRL / December 3, 2007 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: New Drive for the G5

Will check it out.

Collapse -
Not So Good New Drive
by masaya_ass / December 9, 2011 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: New Drive for the G5

I just purchased a new internal CD drive from mac sales for my G5, result is........

Disk Insertion
The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer!

Collapse -
You say you bought a CD DRIVE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Not So Good New Drive

Maybe the media is DVD?

Collapse -
CD Drive Again and Again.....
by masaya_ass / December 10, 2011 5:01 AM PST

I had no issues with my original cd drive, once in a while I would hear funny noises from the drive itself, but it played every single disk I inserted!! I purchased a new cd drive as a upgrade for my G5.
From reading all the apple discussions, and may others from various sites....this is what I found as a possible solutions.......

Purchase and employ a DVD/CD drive cleaning disc. These discs
are designed to remove dirt, dust, and static buildup from your optical
drive. Alas, most users who tried this solution found that the cleaning
disc would be ejected before it could do any good.Use a can of compressed air to blow inside your computer's optical
disc slot and clear away any built-up dust. While several users found
this solution helpful, others claimed it didn't eliminate the problem,
and at least one user found it actually made the problem worse -
rendering him unable to insert a disc at all.One user recommended tapping right above the disc drive as it begins
to slow down its reading prior to ejecting the disc. While this one
user swore by this solution, others found it had no effect and,
frustrated, suggested that tapping with a hammer might relieve more
stress.Several users found that repairing permissions in Disk Utility and
resetting PRAM/NVRAM cleared up their issues, though many others said
this produced no positive effect for them.One user, whose discs weren't being ejected but instead simply
weren't mounting, found success by changing the default system behavior
for when a disc is inserted in the CDs & DVDs pane of System
Preferences.Several users said that opening Disk Utility prior to inserting a
disc solved their problem, though again, success with this solution
wasn't widespread.Most - but not all - users who had their SuperDrives replaced -
either under warranty from Apple, by paying out-of-warranty fees to
Apple, or by doing it themselves - found their problems went away. Some
reported needing multiple replacements or even a logic board replacement
before the problem disappeared.For users whose machines are out of warranty, buying an external
optical drive is a cheaper option than replacing the internal drive.
Though, as mentioned above, at least some users found that they were
unable to read discs even when using an external drive.

Absolutely nothing worked so far, as for purchasing a new external drive, ha!!

What really amazes me is when i put the back the original drive (which was fully working before i upgraded) Is giving me the same error as the new drive and I can not play any disks on any of my drives!!

Does anyone have the real solution to this issue instead trying "everyones" possible cures??
If I called a witch doctor, you think with there staff they can way a fix for my cd drive issues??

Geeeeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
4 years is a long time to add to a discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 5:14 AM PST

Sorry but I'm a little mystified why you are posting in a 4 year old discussion. If you can't fix the machine the next stop is the repair counter. Or use the externals like so many.
Bob

Collapse -
Still NO solutions after 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by masaya_ass / December 10, 2011 7:47 AM PST

A four year old discussion that hasnt been resolved !!
Of course its mystifying......
There is NO solution to repair this, do you understand??
Your band aid solutions dont work!!
If you read the above post carefully, some users were unable to read disks even when using an external drive!!!
If taking my G5 to a repair shop is your solution, then send me the funds to have it repaired!

Collapse -
Actually I solved one like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 8:04 AM PST

A good new drive cured it. And not just once.
Bob

Collapse -
After "checking it out" the OP did not return
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 11:15 PM PST

to tell us if replacing the drive worked.
As there is no function in these forums to mark a thread as "solved", I'm not sure where you got the impression that the problem was not solved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.