Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Help! My cursor moves without me touching it!

by cqa1 / April 20, 2011 5:52 AM PDT

Applies To: Windows | Windows 7 | Hardware and Drivers How can I keep my cursor from making random movements on my computer w/o me touching it? It also move whatever webpage I'm on to the bottom of whatever page I'm on whether I want to or notI have lost letters I was typing when I clicked outside the monitor to make it stop moving. It's VERY annoying. So...I installed the Windowns 7 Home Premium update, changed mice (3 different ones now in three to four different usbs. I've run Norton, AVG, and House call and still have the problems. Any diffinitieve answers would be greatly appreciated.

cqa1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! My cursor moves without me touching it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! My cursor moves without me touching it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Make and model please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 6:02 AM PDT

And if there is any TouchPad on the laptop, turn that off for a test run.

Collapse -
cursor problem
by cqa1 / April 22, 2011 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Make and model please.

Gateway DX 43000 AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core Processor 214 GH2, no touchpad, it's a desktop. Still doing it after unchecking the enhanced pointer.
Any advice?
Thanks,
cindy

Collapse -
Clarification Request
I see some details about the machine. BUT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2011 3:30 AM PDT

Let's find an example where DRIVERS other than the MOUSE (!!!) affected the jumping and such.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/windows-update-caused-typing-issues-jumping/3b935c1e-9c66-4236-93e8-b3356bfbb7c7

Ok. Now we know drivers are very important.

--> Can you supply a link to this machine maker's instructions for properly installing Windows?

I can't tell if it came with that or not. If it's doing it from day one, then it's the maker's problem and you call it in.
Bob

Collapse -
cursor
by cqa1 / April 22, 2011 4:22 AM PDT

Thanks. Sounds so complicated and I have updated to windows 7 home premium I will try to contact Gateway and see if I can get some free help there. Thanks for your time.
Cindy

Collapse -
Clarification Request
by sanjaysarma25 / August 29, 2012 1:56 PM PDT

Hi,

I have I am having similar issue, I have to windows 7 the cursor moving backwards on done the below

steps,Still not resolved the issue ?, I have Performed the below steps

1.Done system restore -Issue NOT resolved

2. Done clean boot provided by micrsoft- Issue NOT Resolved

3.Repaired the OS - Issue NOT Resolved

4.Tried third party godzilla spy ware software.- Issue NOT resolved

5. Install antivirus software - Issue NOT resolved.

6.Re-Installed the OS -Still the same issue.

7. Downloaded Latest driver for mouse and key board -Reinstalled it

The above solution provided is not helpfull, Please put some experts to resolve this issue.

With Regards

P.Sanjay

Collapse -
No experts would touch this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2012 1:46 AM PDT

You could try the advice so far. Your list did not include a common test.
Bob

Collapse -
by sanjaysarma25 / August 30, 2012 11:18 PM PDT

Hi,
R. Proffitt :
1. I hope you know in olden day's we use amidiog for testing the keyboard

I have performed that activity still the same issue.Please while answering the query ,Please provide teh appropriate link to perform the activity, This will save time.

2. Grif Thomas : Open the Control Panel, then the "Mouse" icon, then the "Pointer Options" tab, then UNCHECK the "Enhance Pointer Precision" box, then Apply, then OK.

Ans: I have performed the above acitivity - Issue not resolved
With Regards

P.Sanjay

Collapse -
If an external mouse with onboard disabled fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2012 12:54 AM PDT

Then you should start a new discussion. Burying your new issue in this old post is going to go south.
Bob

Collapse -
And You've Tried A PS2 Mouse?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 31, 2012 3:27 AM PDT

Or...Have you tried UNINSTALLING the mouse driver from the Control Panel, then restart the computer and let Windows re-recognize the mouse and install its default Windows drivers for the mouse?

Or... Have you tried using a different mouse?

Unfortunately, you haven't told us the make and model of the problem computer, laptop or desktop, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cqa1

Collapse -
Tried This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 9:27 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, then the "Mouse" icon, then the "Pointer Options" tab, then UNCHECK the "Enhance Pointer Precision" box, then Apply, then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
cursor
by cqa1 / April 22, 2011 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried This?

Still is doing it! arrgghh!

Collapse -
cursor still moves down etc... on its own!!!!
by cqa1 / May 1, 2011 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: cursor

I contated Gateway and they told me to d a system restore. No way I'm doing that. Any other advice out there. I have a desktop Gatewate dx 4300 an an AMD Phenom X$ 64 bit with ATI 4300 Radeon graphics card.

Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Just A Thought...Tried a PS2 Mouse Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 2, 2011 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
stupid cursor has a mind of its own
by cqa1 / May 13, 2011 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried This?

No, it didn't work. I 've had this problem for about a year when I had Windows Vista 64 bit on my machine. That's the main reason I installed the 7 update I got from Gateway - to get rid of the problem. So.....no.... I don't remember if I installed something right before it became a problem as it was so long ago. I'ts getting to be infuriating now. I changed to Google Chrome but that didn't solve it either. Help! I do not want to do a system restore. Cindy

Collapse -
And You've Tried A PS2 Mouse?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

It's a mouse with a "round" jack that plugs into the back of the computer instead of the standard USB plug.. It frequently fixes the issue when USB mice don't work.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
mouse movement
by cqa1 / May 21, 2011 12:11 AM PDT

Hi,

Collapse -
by sanjaysarma25 / August 31, 2012 5:04 PM PDT
In reply to: mouse movement

Hi,

Step 1:
Device Manager- >uninstalled and then installed default drivers -Issue NOT Resolved .

Step 2:

I have performed the above activity by removing the drivers & restarted the system. Then downloaded the software from the hp.com/support drivers- Issue Not Resolved.

Latop Company : HP
Model : G60-630US
Ram : 2gb

With Regars
P.Sanjay

Collapse -
Answer
In regards to the wandering mouse issue
by mark_cruxis / March 16, 2013 7:27 AM PDT

I had the same problem, and I did what Grif said in the control panel, But I find the easiest solution is to just hook it up to the usb on your keyboard (I have a mac keyboard and use it on windows 7 laptop). Hope it works out fo ya! cheers guys, and thanks Grif.

Collapse -
Answer
Moving cursor
by dencantado / March 17, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

I use a wireless mouse and when the batteries get low the cursor begins jumping around.
Change the batteries... Could be an easy fix for some...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.