Computer Help forum

General discussion

help! my computer keeps asking for startup repair!

by startreksuite / August 30, 2010 11:27 AM PDT

Hi there! My comp has been uniquely troublesome. It went through a motherboard in a year, lost sound that same year (driver issue)and a few keyboards (my son loves ripping the keys out. So it recently came back a few weeks ago from Geeksquad with a clean bill of health, and the other day it froze up, restarted, and the screen went from gray to black. I was panicking, because this is what happend when the GS had to replace the motherboard. This time it restarted again, and said it needed to run the startup repair tool. I let it happen, and also agreed to a system restore. It started up this time, and thought all was good.
that was until the next morning, when I tried starting it up, and it did the whole gray to black screen, and asked for startup repair again!
I recently updated my NVidia driver because a BSOD popped up saying that video wasn't responding, or something to that effect.
So my comp is a HP dv9000 series, running Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help! my computer keeps asking for startup repair!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help! my computer keeps asking for startup repair!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try....
by Papa Echo / August 30, 2010 11:53 AM PDT

Some system files may have been corrupted due to for example, a software or hardware change. When the start-up repairs finishes and Windows finally comes up, delete these recentlly installed hardwares, and softwares, if any ... Then bring up the command prompt [ Start-Run>cmd. You may need to go to Programs or System Tools for Run or "Commnd Prompt"] Type in sfc /scannow ... see whether that solves the problem. It is likely that sfc will not be able to solve all problems found... in which case, use of the Recovery disks may be necessary [or a full reinstall]. I suggest that you make copies of your valuble files[if you have not done so already] while the computer is up with Windows running...

Collapse -
I tried it!
by startreksuite / August 30, 2010 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Try....

I ran scannow, and it repaired some corrupted files successfully. I only have a recovery partition, so I hope this fix worked, or that my recovery partition will fix this.

Collapse -
Startup Repair Keeps Running... Please help me out!
by ahmadh7 / August 30, 2010 7:09 PM PDT

Last day my sony vaio booted up fine. It got stucked and responding. I shut it down to reboot and since then, the Startup Repair program has been running. I've tried pushing F8 and booting into safe mode and it went back to Startup Repair. I also tried F8 and told it to go to an earlier restore point and Startup Repair began running again which is still running from last 10 hours. Any suggestions for getting past this please help me out!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.