Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Help me stop unwanted website redirects!

by missguided / February 2, 2010 4:39 AM PST

I have Windows XP - Norton 360 - not an expert... (lol)
Norton has protected me from a bunch of invasions lately and I seem to be on top of the fake scan pop-ups, etc. BUT I cannot search the net without getting sent to an unwanted website - not all are bad sites - just not where I want to go. I would like to download something that is compatible with my Norton 360 to stop it from happening - lots of sites involved!
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me stop unwanted website redirects!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me stop unwanted website redirects!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download MBAM
by Donna Buenaventura / February 2, 2010 6:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Help me stop unwanted website redirects! Part 2
by missguided / February 2, 2010 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: Download MBAM

Thanks Donna
Well, I did all the things you suggested. Got rid of all kinds of bad stuff. So now Norton - Malware - and SuperAnti-Spyware have all had their way with my computer. I did all the restarts, etc. First time I googled something - I got redirected to a site (non-harmful) that I did not want. I just don't know what I have done wrong to cause this to happen over and over - any suggestions?

Collapse -
Glad the antimalware removed bad stuff
by Donna Buenaventura / February 2, 2010 11:47 AM PST

As to redirect, try to scan using a-squared to see if there's nothing else to remove that is causing the redirect. You have to try several applications because no single weapon for all malware.

If A-squared will find nothing or MBAM, SUPERAntispyware and Norton found no more infection, reset the hosts file in Windows.

Download the Microsoft Fix It solution 50267 from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 to reset the hosts file.

See if that will help. If not, please post back.

Collapse -
Help me stop unwanted website redirects! Part 3
by missguided / February 3, 2010 8:49 AM PST

Hello - I did reset the Hosts thingy. A-Squared has several downloads, and reading about them I am not sure I would know what to do with the information.
Alas, I am still getting redirected - is there a way to block each individual site when it pops-up?
Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
A-squared
by Donna Buenaventura / February 3, 2010 11:55 AM PST

Hi,

You will only download the installer of A-squared Free from http://download.cnet.com/A-squared-Free/3000-2239_4-10262215.html
But if you are having issue with the download for some reason, just try first their MalAware scanner (no remover) at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/malaware/
We only need to know if their scanner will find anything else that others has not. If so, you will need A-squared Free to continue removing. If none, you have to try another scanner:

F-Secure Blacklight: http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/blacklight/
NOD32 Online Scanner: http://www.eset.com/onlinescan
TrojanRemover (30 days trial but fully functional to scan and remove) http://www.simplysup.com

Redirects means there is infection so blocking the pop-up is not a solution but workaround only. To block any pop-ups, configure the browser to do so. Most browser have built-in pop-up blocker.

Collapse -
vundo trojan on win xp pro with AVG Antivirus
by adamajah / February 6, 2010 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Download MBAM

I have a similar problem to the original post. A few days ago I started getting popups and Firefox redirects. My AVG Antivirus notified me of a "vundo.kl" Trojan but couldn't do anything about it.

I'm going to try malwarebytes but should I run it safemode?

Collapse -
Only scan in safe mode if MBAM will not run in
by Donna Buenaventura / February 8, 2010 5:58 AM PST

normal mode. There are other option if MBAM will not run in normal mode to scan the system: rename the executable of MBAM that is located in its program directory.

You can also try to scan using SUPERAntispyware and A-squared Free.

Collapse -
Redirect
by Phil Crase / February 2, 2010 11:12 PM PST

When this happened did you look at internet options (control panel) to see if your HOMEPAGE had changed? Sounds as if you may have gotten HIJACKED. IF you use EXPLORER (MSN) as your base home page, it should read MSN.COM, IF it is a bunch of gibberish, including a redirect, that is likely the issue, simply backspace, type MSN.COM, press enter and try again. That, MSN is just an example, it might have been Mozilla, etc.

Collapse -
Redirect
by missguided / February 3, 2010 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Redirect

I did look at Internet Options and it still shows: Yahoo.com which is my default. I asked the previous responder if there is a way to block each website when it pops-up?
Thanks!

Collapse -
Redirects
by missguided / February 6, 2010 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: Redirect

Well - thanks for all the good advice...
My computer totally crashed - twice - and I finally reloaded Windows XP which was kind of a pain - but so far everything is back to normal...

Collapse -
by mplayerox / February 12, 2010 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Redirects

if by 'reloaded' you do not mean format and fresh install: you have not escaped

Collapse -
stop redirects
by popmartin / September 1, 2010 9:55 PM PDT

I battled with redirects for over a month. I tried many different malware and rootkit removal tools and multiple anti virus programs to no avail. Then I realized that one of our computers that had not been turned on in several months had the redirect problem immediately. That is when I discovered that it was on all the computers on my home network. I reset my wireless router and eureka! NO MORE REDIRECTS WHATSOEVER!!
If you are on a network and are authorized to, reset the router. This might just be the fix you need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.