Cameras

General discussion

Help me pick my new camera!!!

by jdunai / March 19, 2006 1:17 PM PST

Ok, I have done extensive research... I am looking for a good amateur camera that I can learn with but will help me grow to the serious photographer I want to be.

Here are the 4 that I have found listed as top serious amateur or advanced cameras.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS
Fujifilm FinePix S5200 Zoom
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7
Olympus SP-500 UZ

Feedback?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me pick my new camera!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me pick my new camera!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you
by Alan Copeland / March 19, 2006 9:28 PM PST
Collapse -
yes i have
by jdunai / March 19, 2006 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: Have you

i checked out every i could find and am just looking for feedback from users.

Collapse -
Owner's Opinions
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 19, 2006 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: yes i have
Collapse -
If I were you...
by shasmith3 / March 20, 2006 10:44 PM PST

If I were you, I'd try an entry level DSLR, as I did myself a couple of years ago (now I've graduated to Canon 5d). I would strongly advise to buy either Canon or Nicon cameras, because otherwise, if you later decide to move up the food chain you will end up with a bunch of unusable lenses.

Collapse -
Panasonic FZ30
by bear740 / March 21, 2006 12:35 AM PST

I think you need to look at the Panasonic FZ30. One man wrote you to look at a entry level DSLR. That is fine but you will have to buy lenses, which is where the real cost comes in, and besides most entry level DSLR are near the $1000 range. The FZ30 has it all built in. You have a leica zoom lens from 34mm to 420mm or 12X. You have full auto or full manual controls. You can go Aperture Priority or Speed Priority, or full manual. You have a very powerful 24' at 80 ISO range built in flash along with a hot shoe if you want to use your own flash. You cannot beat the lens or the 2"viewfinder which is at 240,000 Pixel rez along with the EVF (electronic View Finder) which I find superior to the optical type in low light. This camera does it all and you can get one for right at $500, a lot less than a entry level DSLR. It actually has outdone most of the Entry level DSLR's. It is a fantastic camera to learn on and presonally, I have yet to see that many better pictures on cameras that cost up to $5000. True in low light DSLR camera's will have less noise, but the noise problems are not as acute as some may say. I have made hundreds of pictures in ISO 200 and 400 and what little noise I have had cleaned up easily with the free version of Neat Image. For the price, you will not find a better camera with as many capabilities, plus it has the best image stableization on the market. It is a full size camera but if you are going to go into more serious photography work, you do not want to get one of those subsize cameras, the high end DSLR's are the size of this camera. Beleive me, I am a professional photographer, I have all the other camera's and plethora of lens, this camera matches them picture for picture and I have not been disappointed yet and you will not find a better looking or better built camera for the price.

Collapse -
thanks
by jdunai / March 21, 2006 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic FZ30

thanks for the input but that's not in my budget. How about the FZ7?

Collapse -
Question about the 12x lens......
by wolfcreek / March 22, 2006 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic FZ30

Thank you for your expertise. I really appreciated your post. The question I have is this: (I, too, am shopping for my second camera. I am a novice but would like to upgrade from an old Sony 3.3 megapixel that I love.) I read somewhere on this site that 12x lens is extreme, and you cannot consistently deliver photos across the entire spectrum. I don't know exactly what that means. Does it mean I won't get good photos without the zoom? Does it mean I should use it for zoom primarily? I am interested in getting an excellent 8x10, for example, of a baseball player on a playing field when I am on the sideline by the fence.

Collapse -
The Panasonic Lumix is great !
by gary_hendricks / March 23, 2006 8:50 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.