Phones

Question

Help me pick my new (Android) phone

by notemily / December 30, 2012 1:45 PM PST

My old phone is dead. Dead, dead, dead. So I need a new one SOON, but I've been agonizing over the choice.

Phones I have been considering: Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G, Samsung Galaxy S III, LG/Google Nexus 4, LG Optimus G, HTC One S, HTC One X

- I don't play many games on my phone. What I use my phone for is email, web browsing, GPS navigation/maps, reminders/alarms, texting, social media, streaming music (Pandora), reading ebooks, and checking the weather. I use my phone for talking, of course, but not a lot. Less than 50 mins per month, according to my past bills.

- It has to be GSM, because I have T-Mobile, so either T-Mobile ready or unlocked and ready for a SIM card.

- I want a nice screen. I got an iPod Touch with retina display a few months ago and have been completely spoiled for all other screens. I don't want it to look pixelated at all, if that's possible.

- It has to have either a recent version of Android or the ability to root and install a ROM like CyanogenMod to get recent updates. I don't want to wait forever to get the latest Android releases.

- I'd love a physical keyboard but it seems like the higher-end phones just don't have them anymore (especially not on T-Mobile). I considered the Relay for a long time, but I don't like that CyanogenMod doesn't seem to know it exists. I don't want another phone that seems outdated a few months after I get it because everyone else is running Key Lime Pie and I'm still on Ice Cream Sandwich. (This happened to me with my previous phone and Eclair/Gingerbread. Which led to me learning how to root my phone, so not a total loss.)

- I don't like huge phones. I have tiny hands and the GS3 just seems way too big (I saw it in-person at Target). I like my phone to fit in my pocket, but again, this feature seems to be something the best phones just don't have anymore. I just want something I can hold in one hand.

- Battery life is not too important to me, it would be nice, but I have a charger at home and a charger in my car and I don't mind charging often.

- A great camera would be nice too, but it's not essential. I just want something that can take decent pictures of my niece and my cat.

- Probably the most important factor to me is speed. I hate waiting for things to load and I want my phone to be FAST. Or, you know, as fast as possible at T-Mobile's "4G-like" speeds.

- As for storage, I want to be able to download multiple apps without running out of space, but I don't need a lot of space for videos or music. I have my iPod touch for that Silly

Right now I'm leaning towards acquiring a Nexus 4 off Swappa, but I'm hesitant to make that final choice and push the "Buy" button. Any advice is appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me pick my new (Android) phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me pick my new (Android) phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just a few observations.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 12:37 AM PST

I had the HTC One with the 8 megapixel camera and it was good enough that I was leaving my camera at home.

About GPS use. It never measured up to say my Garmin so that function never was useful. It seems that patents and more seem to hamper this function.

Why Swappa? Can't see a good reason.
Bob

Collapse -
Swappa
by notemily / December 31, 2012 3:17 AM PST

Because acquiring the Nexus 4 elsewhere is a bit difficult at the moment. Do you have a suggestion for a different place to get one?

Collapse -
Ahh. You don't want to wait.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Swappa
http://www.google.com/nexus/4/ is where our office got theirs. Now I understand.

When it comes to phones, it's something I would not consider used or second hand. Just my view on that.
Bob
Collapse -
No word on when it will be back in stock
by notemily / December 31, 2012 5:08 AM PST

I need a phone SOON, since my phone is completely dead at this point. I guess I could buy a cheap basic phone to tide me over until Google gets their stock back, but I have no idea when that will be.

Collapse -
Answer
s3
by nelnel96 / January 28, 2013 9:48 PM PST

though the s3's bigger than most phones, i am satisfied with its features. having a bigger screen helps when i use it to browse the internet.

Collapse -
Answer
Nexus 4
by Luke_B / January 29, 2013 4:14 AM PST

I would have recommended Lumia 920 but since you want custom ROMs and tweaking, Android is for you. When S3 is around the corner, you wouldn't want to get an S3. Nexus 4 is decent device and hardware. I guess you can pull the trigger.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.