Phones forum

General discussion

Help me find a reliable phone

by SAaames / February 1, 2012 4:02 PM PST

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I'm looking to buy a new cell phone and I'm not very savvy when it comes to this type of thing so please bare with me.

I just recently researched and ordered my wife a new phone. and during that little "research" process (with her help ofcourse) I realized just how much I don't know about today's cell phones and how much that they cost. I have never had any kind "extravagant phone" - if you will.

Anyhow, here in a couple of weeks I will be switching to T-mobile's 30 day unlimited everything plan($50), and I'm not quite sure on what to get that fits my price range and the features that I do and don't need. I have been searching all over the place for the last week or better, and everytime I think that I found something, I start reading reviews about it and end up changing my mind.

Please, help me out here. Obviously any unlocked phone is fine too.

Price range: Up to $160 - MAYBE $170
Features:
***Texting - I DO NOT text

***Facebook or any other social networks - NO! Never have, never will.

***Music - Doesn't have to be able to hold a ridiculous amount, just enough. Maybe 2-4 gig.

***Video - Prefer it to be able to play youtube video's(AKA Adobe flash compatible).

***5 pixel camera - I defiantly do need this for work. I'm tired of having to use other peoples phones when trying to take a good picture of a trial job to send it in for spec sheets.

***Able to send pictures.

***QWERTY - Preferably, but not a "need" for sure.

***Internet - not just HTML

***Games - Not very important at all, maybe a few here and there.

***O/S - Preferably Android 2 or Windows 6.5:

===========
If anyone at all can help out here I would very much appreciate it. I'm tired of banging my head against the wall here trying to figure it all out. If there is anything else that I forgot to mention that will help you help me, please tell me.

I have to go to bed right now, but I will check back tomorrow night. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me find a reliable phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me find a reliable phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reliable cellphone
by RolloBraun / February 1, 2012 7:44 PM PST

I would suggest you to buy an HTC phone. I bought several years ago and still satisfied with it. No problems at all.

Message was edited by: Lee Koo (ADMIN) 02/02/2012 8:23AM to remove unintended HTML code from copying and pasting text

Collapse -
Helping you understand it all
by Pepe7 / February 1, 2012 11:54 PM PST

I see a little bit of disconnect between your wants/needs which I will hopefully help you sort out.

Collapse -
Suggestion - Lumia 710
by gwydionjhr / February 27, 2012 1:35 PM PST

I'll preface this by stating up front that I'm a fan of Windows Phone. I use Windows on my home computer, especially Outlook for keeping my work organized, so it just makes sense to me to go with the platform that is designed to work best together.

If you check the customer reviews on the T-Mobile Site, you'll find that the Nokia Lumia 710's customer rating is head and shoulders above all of the other smartphone offering.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=Nokia-Lumia-710-Black

The Windows Phone 7.5 platform (as opposed to the discontinued Windows Mobile 6.5) is rock solid and super smooth without requiring battery hogging multi-core processors.

Check YouTube for the "Smoked By Windows Phone" videos to see how easy, and therefore fast, it is at completing everyday tasks... like taking and sending pictures of trial jobs.

Collapse -
Suggestion
by jagpalbashati / February 29, 2012 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Suggestion - Lumia 710
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.