Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Networking & Wireless

Question

Help me decide BEST wireless router for home (URGENT)

by FutureCnet / February 10, 2013 7:37 AM PST

Hi,
About Me:
I am from India - Mumbai
I am planning to buy a new router for my home use..

My Setup/Details:
I will install this router in my living room (hall). I have 3 PCs in all in a 3000 SQ.FT. flat.
I also want to access internet from this router using my IPAD2 + Mobile. (want best wifi connectivity, long range preferred)
I have internet access via Cable LAN (2 MBPs line at present will upgrade to 8 MBPs next month) from http://www.pacenet-india.com/services.html

My Requirements:
I want to connect all my 3 PCs internally (networking) via this router.
I have a wired lan setup, so that this 3 PCs can talk to each other if they are connected to a router/switch from my living room. (I need fast file/transfer between this 3 PCs)
There are many IT geeks in my building (I want best security via this router)
None of my PCs has inbuilt WIFI (Can I get a feature in router someway which can help me connect all 3 PCs to each other wireless (without using wired cable which I am doing at present)

I want best security + best features + best future ready router (pricing is not an issue)

Please suggest me best option:
This is the best I could have found in my area/city, can you help me decide from this 4 routers.
http://www.flipkart.com/routers/co [...] C4F3ZFWGMW

If there are any other options you can suggest me depending upon my country. Please do.

Regards,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me decide BEST wireless router for home (URGENT)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me decide BEST wireless router for home (URGENT)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
With only one router?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 7:45 AM PST

In the USA and most countries there are legal limits to how much power your router and devices can emit. So what you should discover is that there is not perfect router that rules them all.

I have many routers if you count the ones at the office but for home I picked a simple Netgear 3800. It covers an area half your space with ease and further at lower numbers of bars. But I wonder why you are asking this question. That is, you should have seen this question before and know what the answer is.
Bob

Collapse -
Cannot understand your reply ?
by FutureCnet / February 10, 2013 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: With only one router?

Hello,
We do not have any such legal problem in India as of now for the router power etc for home users.

I want the best router so that I can use it at home (in an office environment too).

I have not seen this question before anywhere, As i am the one making it on few more sites, as I have to purchase this today, we have some clients expected in office and have to show them important presentations.

I posted this question on tomshwardware too, if I can get better solution from available choices I have.

I have only following routers I can buy in my city at present (apart from the flipkart link I gave you above), please let me know if you can suggest something.
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/network-components/router-20261?ref=f11e69f9-c6eb-4225-bf88-1570a3ee4f23&_pop=brdcrumb
http://www.homeshop18.com/wireless-router/categoryid:3254/search:wireless+router/listView:false/sort:Price+High-to-Low/start:0/
http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?orderby=product_price&DescOrderBy=DESC&Itemid=53&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=72&manufacturer_id=0&keyword=&keyword1=&keyword2=
http://www.bitfang.com/wireless-router/

Collapse -
Many opinions.
by mopscare42 / February 10, 2013 11:57 PM PST

Most people will have there own opinion of what is the best router so I will give you mine.
I have the Netgear WNDR 4500 router and couldn't ask for more from a router. My garage is not attached and is about 65 feet from the router located in the house. That would be thru 4 walls total.
I can take my iPad to the furthermost end of the garage and still have 3 bars and never skips a beat. I have a smart TV, wireless blu-ray player, iPad, laptop, smartphone, wireless printer and two more laptops plus their smartphones when the Grandkids are here and have never had any problems with connections.

Collapse -
Asus RT-N66U vs Netgear WNDR 4500 vs Netgear R6300
by FutureCnet / February 22, 2013 5:37 PM PST
In reply to: Many opinions.
Collapse -
Then you need a forum/review site in your country.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 12:00 AM PST

As you can imagine there are many reasons to limit the power of 2.4GHz. That's the frequency used in your Microwave oven and you don't want too much of that.
Bob

Collapse -
All routers I have said above have minimum 2.4 GHz frequency
by FutureCnet / February 22, 2013 5:39 PM PST

Will it be dangerous as all routers have minimum 2.4 ghz frequency.
I have a little son 3.5 years old.

Collapse -
Last question before making purchase tomorrow
by FutureCnet / March 2, 2013 2:57 PM PST

My last question, before I make a purchase tomorrow:
My requirements:
3000 sq. ft home/office and require solid wifi even on farthest end of office (maximum of 3 thin walls between router and last room where i will use laptop)

At most - 1 laptop + 1 ipad + 2 mobile will use wifi always

router will connect to internet using local lan on RJ45 ethernet

4. 3 PCs will always connect to router using ethernet cable and use internet. (this 3 pc dont need wifi)

5. we require good file transfer speed between this 3 pc

6. a usb port on router, which will help to connect to internet using 3g dongle (a backup internet)

we will use future xbox and ps gaming, connect to internet using wifi

internet tv which will require wifi

Capability to turn on/off wifi using a button on router (not a major requirement, if available will be great)

Turn on/off wifi and router using the software interface of router.

Play with router firmware, install/upgrade 3rd party firmware (not a major requirement, if available will be great)

I have to decided to buy 1 of following products only, please suggest me which one should i select from this 4 routers only.
Netgear R6300
Asus RT-AC66U
Asus RT-N66U
Netgear WNDR4500

I will purchase from flipkart, if you have any better suggestions to buy this in Mumbai, it will be great:
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/network-components/routers/pr?p[]=sort%3Dprice_desc&sid=6bo%2C70k%2C2a2&layout=grid#jumpTo=114|60

Thank you very much for all your help Happy

Collapse -
Last question before purchasing the router tomorrow
by FutureCnet / March 2, 2013 2:56 PM PST

My last question, before I make a purchase tomorrow:
My requirements:
3000 sq. ft home/office and require solid wifi even on farthest end of office (maximum of 3 thin walls between router and last room where i will use laptop)

At most - 1 laptop + 1 ipad + 2 mobile will use wifi always

router will connect to internet using local lan on RJ45 ethernet

4. 3 PCs will always connect to router using ethernet cable and use internet. (this 3 pc dont need wifi)

5. we require good file transfer speed between this 3 pc

6. a usb port on router, which will help to connect to internet using 3g dongle (a backup internet)

we will use future xbox and ps gaming, connect to internet using wifi

internet tv which will require wifi

Capability to turn on/off wifi using a button on router (not a major requirement, if available will be great)

Turn on/off wifi and router using the software interface of router.

Play with router firmware, install/upgrade 3rd party firmware (not a major requirement, if available will be great)

I have to decided to buy 1 of following products only, please suggest me which one should i select from this 4 routers only.
Netgear R6300
Asus RT-AC66U
Asus RT-N66U
Netgear WNDR4500

I will purchase from flipkart, if you have any better suggestions to buy this in Mumbai, it will be great:
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/network-components/routers/pr?p[]=sort%3Dprice_desc&sid=6bo%2C70k%2C2a2&layout=grid#jumpTo=114|60

Thank you very much for all your help Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.