Laptops forum

General discussion

Help me choose the best laptop please.

by GrandChamp13 / December 29, 2009 9:46 PM PST

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a nice laptop but because it is such a big investment, I really want to make sure I'm making the best possible choice.

I want one that is very, very fast. I'm looking at i7 processors.

A great video card is important as well as customer service and price. I'm looking to be under $1000, hopefully.

I'm not sure how important Bluray and screen size/resolution will be to me, that's why I'm asking lol.

I know I want to have great range for wifi and a preferably webcam. I've also looked into Facial Recognition and Fingerprint scanner. Is this worth it?

Here is what I'm looking at so far:

Lenovo y550 i7- $999.99 free shipping
I7 720qm processor
15'6" screen 1366 x 768 resolution
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB 5400rpm Hard Disk
DVD

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me choose the best laptop please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me choose the best laptop please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Asus I was looking at.
by GrandChamp13 / December 29, 2009 10:08 PM PST

This is the ASUS I was looking at.

ASUS g51vx- 999.99 free shipping
Core 2 Duo P7350 2.0ghz processor
15'6" screen 1366 x 768 resolution
4gb DDR2 800mhz RAM
320gb sata2 7200rpm **ssd available** Hard Disk
DVD+RW Super Multi Double Layer **Blu-Ray available**
nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1GB GDDR3 VRAM Video Card
Windows Vista64 Home Premium with windows 7 upgrade coupon
Backlit Keyboard
Link Below
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-G51VX-RX05-4GB-1GB-NVIDIA-Gaming-Notebook-LAPTOP_W0QQitemZ260499388331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item3ca6f937ab

Collapse -
Here's some additional info
by GrandChamp13 / December 29, 2009 10:54 PM PST

1) What is your budget? Trying to stay under $1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
14'' - 16''

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
Doesn't matter

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
IDK I want good customer service. The only company I have had really good service from is Apple but I'm not sure if the specs are worth the money.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Only with a 1+year warranty

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
I'm a student, I want it for multitasking. I wanna be able to have 20 tabs open and Itunes running while updating my computer without it slowing down lol. I'm not a gamer but I'm like to beable to play games if I ever want to.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
I will take it everywhere.

Cool Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Not sure yet. But I want it gaming capable I guess

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
More is always better

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Either is fine

11) What OS do you prefer?
Windows 7 i guess

16) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
Not sure if it matters I've never used more that half of my space

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
the best i can get for a good price

Sorry, This is the first computer I am buying myself. I want to get the right one.

Collapse -
No Returns Accepted
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 10:56 PM PST

Right there is a killer on one deal.

Go with the other one.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh thanks
by GrandChamp13 / December 29, 2009 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: No Returns Accepted

Didn't see that. ok but I can find the other one somewhere else.

These aren't my only options.

I just really want advice to get amazing laptop, It doesn't have to be one of these.

Any suggestions? Any advice at all?

Thanks again

Collapse -
You found one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Oh thanks

You can keep looking, every week another new machine or find. I've learned to just make a comment where I see trouble or if I know of one that seems to fit, offer that. As the units change daily it seems I have to stick to a plan.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by GrandChamp13 / December 29, 2009 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: You found one.

I like the one I found but I want to talk to some people who know what there doing to make sure I'm not making a mistake. Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Bluray is for watching Bluray only.
by orlbuckeye / December 31, 2009 12:59 AM PST

Bluray at that price is readonly. SO if your not going to watch or hook your laptop to a HDTV you don't need Bluray. The resolution for the best entertainment laptops is 1920 x 1080. The 1080 is where 1080p comes from. The best 1080p laptops are the 18.4" screens. Plus you have to remember that with a better graphics card on the laptop you are limited to the resolution of the screen that comes with it and will be able to put out a 1080p to a HDTV.

Collapse -
Ummm. any suggestions?
by GrandChamp13 / December 31, 2009 9:27 AM PST

I'm looking for tons of speed (is i7 worth it?)

Great multitasking capabilities

I'm a student so I would like the screen to be 13-16in

I am not a gamer but i want to be able to run games decently on the system.

Please help be I've gone through hundreds of laptops and still don't knwo what I want lol

Collapse -
At the top of the forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: Ummm. any suggestions?

Are a few laptop pickers. I hesitate to pick out any model because the story is unclear.

At least you are not looking for a gamer laptop with 1GB dedicated video, i7 CPU, and 12 hour battery life for 599 bucks.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.