Windows 8 forum

Help lost Drivers Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

by ilundotato / January 6, 2013 11:58 PM PST

custom system I built running as smooth as one could want since day one this morning a update came across for Nvidia I let it run bang my graphics card is no longer acknowledged by the system in device manager it says other I tried reloading the original drivers but the Nvidia installer says this system has no graphic card....OS WIN8 x64;processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Model A RevisionPH-E0... MainBoard ASUSTek Crosshair V Formula... BIOS American Megatrends Ver. 0404 Date 05/18/2011...Memory; Dual DDR3 4096 MBytes PC3-10700 (667 MHz) Mushkins graphics is already stated graphics was the 306.23 ver.the update is the 310 ver and that is when the trouble started the system is not overclocked it is well within parameters it was working perfect till this freaki@#$g update can someone please help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help lost Drivers Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help lost Drivers Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try System Restore
by wpgwpg / January 7, 2013 12:07 AM PST

Go to System Restore and restore back to a date prior to the driver update.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
thank you
by ilundotato / January 7, 2013 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Try System Restore

I am srry but i thought it would be self evident that if one builds his own systems an elementary item such as system restore would have been considered tried already anywize anything most can think of I've tried the command line runnin a few scripts I wrote, in the registry I looked for broken paths nothing if I have to reinstall my operating system I will it'll only be about the 50th time I've done it but that is a last thing what is runnin now is a microsoft basic display driver ver.6.2.9200.16384 my point is this this update came from nvidia via microsoft recommend update and it took my perfectly running 3D graphics processer and corrupted its drivers to the point if I run any Nvidia software on my system it shuts down and says there is no Nvidia graphic processor in the system is it possible anyone to restore these drivers without doing a reinstall???

Collapse -
You shouldn't use MS update for drivers
by wpgwpg / January 7, 2013 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

I've seen a lot of folks get into trouble using drivers from MS update.You should only install the ones from the card's manufacturer. Apparently that's a "basic" you didn't know. And you'd be surprised at how many folks try building computers without knowing many of the basics. If you don't tell us what you've done, I'm afraid none of us have crystal balls to inform us. The answers you get are only as good as the info you provide.

Good luck.

Collapse -
ur right
by ilundotato / January 7, 2013 7:38 AM PST

I learned a very basic piece of knowledge as far as updates are concerned this is not my first far from it but live and learn i can tell u nothing else it has worked impeccably since day one, this update popped up I trusted it my drivers disappeared question now is who has the knowledge or4 experience to remedy this...

Collapse -
read what I wrote
by ilundotato / January 7, 2013 7:40 AM PST

this came from the manuf. via microsoft.....

Collapse -
tell me what I can do now
by ilundotato / January 7, 2013 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: read what I wrote

the barn door is open the horse is gone how do I capture the horse tell me something I dont know

Collapse -
If the damage is that deep.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 7:51 AM PST

You start again and next time "don't do that."

You can try installing the version of driver that you had before.

Collapse -
I read it. YOU are the manufacturer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: read what I wrote

"custom system I built"

Windows Update has been terrible on drivers. What a way to learn about this. About the card manufacturer, that's not Nvidia so again, that's not right either. Nvidia does not make the cards. Just the chips and drivers.

I know how upsetting this is, but nothing has changed with Windows and drivers. Still a mess.

Collapse -
nvidia drivers
by ilundotato / January 7, 2013 7:53 PM PST

Thks yes I know they make the chips and drivers and thats when the problem started from their site an notification for the 560Ti to update from ver.306.23 to ver.310.90 it updated fine then had to go to reboot to finish update when WIN8 powered back up bang!!! no drivers they were gone and how I noticed instantly was because my screen resolution was out of whack and this notification for update came from my NVIDIA control panel now when I try to access the control panel I get this message "NVIDIA display settings are not available". "An NVIDIA graphics card was not detected in your system" I have been in the NVIDIA forums on their support site and have perused alot of discussions and threads and have yet to find a similar situation I truly appreciate everyone's reply THANK YOU but still need Help!!!!!

Collapse -
Why not rollback the driver?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 8:01 PM PST
In reply to: nvidia drivers
Collapse -
Why not rollback the driver
by ilundotato / January 8, 2013 8:25 AM PST

Ordinarily yes it would work but here the system must first acknowledge the hardware before any software will be accepted, that's the problem the system cannot identify the hardware sitting in the PCI location ,it knows something is there yet it cannot identify it so it keeps it in stasis. This sounds a bit medieval but I was considering unplugging the device while maintaining power then plugging it back in but I see too many negative aspects to attempt such an unconventional patch.

Collapse -
See Kees about Driver Rollback.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: nvidia drivers

Sometimes it works. If not we go old school and try installing the version we know works.

Collapse -
NVIDIA Drivers
by ilundotato / January 8, 2013 4:49 AM PST

Thks ,I have just realized ur the Bob anytime I have had a problem and went to CNET you were very helpful and insightful so hello Bob and thanks for your dedication. OK I am on to resolving this problem with your input I welcome. In Device Manager the hardware is recognized as such it states (in properties) " no drivers are installed for this device", the good part is it gives a location on the PCI Bus so the hardware has been acknowledged yet remains in a stasis environment,what I need to do is introduce a command line to reestablish comm between hardware and system which I found someone who has done that on Utube so as we speak I am going over his procedure, if you or anyone for that matter has had any experience introducing, device_ instance_ path plz share, and thank you Bob for your help it is always appreciated.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: NVIDIA Drivers

OK, when I see that happen I look for the motherboard chipset drivers. Then I install those and reboot. Then I install the video drivers.

Quite odd to read all this but excuse if I repeat myself, please folk, don't take drivers from Windows Update casually. I've lost count of how many times this has burned folk.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.