HELP! Lens stuck

by qing518 / April 5, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

my casio ex-z60 camera's lens is stuck extended
and the camera wont turn on or off

HELP please!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Lens stuck
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Lens stuck
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lens Stuck
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 6, 2007 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP! Lens stuck

If you have dropped the camera to cause this failure, you are going to need repairs by Casio.

First...and easiest:
Remove the memory card and try again.
If it now works, you have a defective memory card.

Otherwise....I would first suspect the battery.

That camera uses a 3.7 volt NP20 Lithium Ion battery.

Now charge the battery and try again.

If that does not help, you need to know the state of the battery.
You need a volt-meter to measure the DC voltage in the battery.
It should read 3.7 volts.

If you or a friend do not have a volt meter.....try this:
Take the battery to an electronic store (like Radio Shack) and see if you can get them to measure the voltage in the battery.
They may be willing to do that in hopes of selling you a new battery.

If the voltage is much below 3.7 volts, you have a bad battery (or in a rare case...a bad charger).

If the battery checks good, you have a failure in the camera itself.
Time to call Casio repair for help.

Collapse -
memory card
by qing518 / April 6, 2007 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Lens Stuck

the camera works w/o the memory card
so the memory card must be defective
but the card worked for more than a year
how could it be defective suddenly?

Collapse -
casio exilim exz60 lens prob
by ehender89 / April 6, 2007 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: memory card

hey i also have a casio exilim exz60 and i recently encountered the same problem. the camera fell about 3 feet while on timer mode, and the lens is stuck in the extended position and won't retract. the camera will not turn on to take pictures, but it will let you view the pictures you have already taken.

first of all, there is nothing wrong with your memory card. the camera has a certain amount of internal storage space, so it can be used without the memory card (although it can only hold a few pictures).

i called casio repairs (1-800-706-2534) (or you can go to www.ecasiorepairs.com). they said its a simple repair that would take 10-15 business days. the total cost (without tax) is $127. once you add on tax and shipping costs, you're looking at at least $150. personally, i think you're better off buying a new camera (i'm looking into the casio card at the moment). also, even if your camera is still in warranty (the warranty is 1 yr), casio reserves the right to charge you for repair if the damage to the camera is physical (i.e. if you dropped it like i did), rather than some intrinsic problem with the camera.

as an alternative, i contacted "master tim" from www.casiorepairs.com, who said he could repair the lens problem for $86 in roughly the same amount of time (2-3 weeks).

i read that this (lens problem) is a common problem with the exilim exz60. personally, i'm not sure if the repair is worth the cost, but that's just my opinion.

hope this helps.

-elizabeth

Collapse -
Fixing a lens error
by t00nz / May 5, 2009 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP! Lens stuck

I know this is a very old post, but this may help others experiencing the same problem. Lens errors are fairly common. Usually it's sand or grit interfering with the lens extension mechanism. Or the camera's been dropped with the lens extended. Or the camera has been powered on, but the lens had been blocked preventing its extension. Or the battery ran down with the lens extended ...

Here's some things that you can do to try to correct it. They only seem to work for less than 50% of the lens errors, but if the camera is out of warranty, they're worth a try. If the link doesn't work, just copy and paste the url into your browser:

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/fixing-lens-error-on-digital-camera.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.