Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Help! Is the 2nd rebuild of my new desktop PC a downgrade?

by Vanillaman / January 17, 2013 7:00 AM PST

I recently upgraded my computer by having it built for my specific needs. When I explained what I wanted, they suggested the first list of specifications, which is what I have paid £360 for. The second list is the actual system specs. However, this was 2 months ago and I have been having problems with my new computer ever since. After several attempts to isolate what was causing continuous problems, they rebuilt another computer for me. The new specs for this one do not seem as good as the previous.

Therefore, I would be extremely grateful if someone could look over and compare the information for me and confirm whether or not I have been scammed?

I should add that I already had the additional external 1TB hard drive. Many thanks in advance::

This first list is copied from their own handwriting as the initial suggestion, so there may be some slight errors. The specs I purchased, as recommended are:

AS INITIALLY SUGGESTED:

AM3+ 9700E3 (or First suggestion: Aspect FM1, ASSM-HUS motherboard)
Dual Core Processor
8Gb RAM
1Tb Hard drive
610 GT Graphics card

1. THESE ARE THE ACTUAL SPECS ACCORDING TO THE SYSTEM INFO. ON THE 1ST PC:

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 Processor 6.9 4.6
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.4
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 4.6
Gaming graphics 4096 MB Total available graphics memory 6.4
Primary hard disk 826GB Free (931GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System

Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 3

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 1863 GB
Disk partition (C:) 826 GB Free (931 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (E:) 603 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Total available graphics memory 4096 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3072 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.697
Primary monitor resolution 1360x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.
Caution: Based on the results of the WinSAT Disk assessment, your system drive may have slower response times under some workloads. Performance results will depend on the specific applications used and the amount of memory available. If your experience is satisfactory, no action is needed.

2. THESE ARE THE ACTUAL SPECS ACCORDING TO THE SYSTEM INFO. ON THE 2ND REBUILT PC:

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 6.2 5.0

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.0
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7540D 5.0
Gaming graphics 4078 MB Total available graphics memory 6.3
Primary hard disk 900GB Free (931GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System

Manufacturer MSI
Model MS-7721
Number of processor cores 1

Storage

Disk partition (C:) 900 GB Free (931 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 229 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 7540D
Total available graphics memory 4078 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Shared system memory 3566 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.947.0.0

Network

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

Vanillaman has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Is the 2nd rebuild of my new desktop PC a downgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Is the 2nd rebuild of my new desktop PC a downgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Odd choices on parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 7:08 AM PST

I see you went with a 512MB card when the current list at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html leads with 1 or more GB cards. Is there more to this story why you didn't pick off the bottom of the list?

Also, the scores can vary a lot based on how well the maker installed the OS. I'm encountering a lot of PCs that folk built but had no install plan for the BIOS, OS, Drivers and apps.

What a mess.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification request: Odd choices on parts. - New!
by Vanillaman / January 17, 2013 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: Odd choices on parts.

Thank you. The bottom list (list 2) is what was returned to me yesterday. He assured me that when he rebuilt it, he had put in the exact same specs as that on the first list (list 1). I'm not that tech savvy, so I'm not sure which of the 2 is better, hence my query. For example, in a previous post someone told me that the first list had Tri Core, yet I notice this only has one?

I didn't pick the 512MB card or anything from the bottom list, as I am not technically minded enough to spot any differences. This is why I need help??? He is returning today to reinstall my CD/DVD drive.

Collapse -
Ahh. My bet is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 12:27 AM PST

The builder is selecting lowest cost parts that sound impressive. I still think it sounds like that or their install plan is flawed.

You can spot a flawed plan by a lack of documentation. That is, notes on paper how to install the OS in what order.

I can't do that for you. It's not my machine or design.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification request: Odd choices on parts
by Vanillaman / January 18, 2013 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh. My bet is

Bob. I wasn't asking you to do anything for me. I was simply asking for help and advice. I just asked for comparisons between the 2, that's all. So, can we please drop the attitude. Many thanks.

Collapse -
I'll be more blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 3:14 AM PST

The parts list LOOKS impressive but then you spot an item like the 512MB on the video card. Even a paltry 20 dollar ATI 5450 comes with 1GB. Something fishy there. If you want a top flight performer you know the basics to hit.

That's just one item. There could be more. My questions were to you since you are there and might know why they or you picked an odd item.
Bob

Collapse -
Help and advice ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 18, 2013 3:02 PM PST

Show the builder the specs on that first computer then what the second has and tell him what you expected.

Here are a couple of links for you to compare what you have. Your first computer has a tri-core and distinct graphics while your second has a dual core with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics GPU integrated on the CPU.

This link shows your SECOND systems Passmark CPU mark of 2126 (higher numbers are better)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-5400K+APU

This link shows your FIRST systems Passmark CPU Mark of 2592 and if you continue to scroll down the page 59 items lower you will spot the APU from your second system.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X3+450&id=159

As Bob tried to tell you, it looks loke your builder is using what he can find cheap and not trying to give you an exact match but rather just something roughly comparable.

As someone else stated, NEITHER of your systems is configured as an actual gaming system although both will allow you to play some games ok and others not as well.

The time to ask is BEFORE having a system built rather than afterwards as unless you actually have the desired specs IN WRITING the builder isn't really required to start trading parts.

The advise, if what you wanted built is in writing, is to show him that the two computers are not a matched pair and to make them that way.

Collapse -
2nd Build update and Alternative Options?
by Vanillaman / January 20, 2013 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Help and advice ...

He returned to replace my original CD/DVD drive and to reinstall the graphics card from the first build. So now, the specs are as you see below. I didn't mention anything about gaming, since when I originally inquired, I explained that I was often working on web building, music and video editing with Adobe. When I questioned him about the tri-core being reduced to dual core, he said that the chip in the second build was better than the tri-core. However, over this weekend I have found my computer struggling to perform multiple tasks.

I paid £360 for this 2 months ago and I've had these problems since. I'm going to return it and ask for a refund and buy a computer from a more reputable retailer. I have narrowed it down to one of these 4. I know the RAM or hard drive may drop, but at least I can be more assured about quality:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/s_action/compare/index.html

What do you guys think? Many thanks in advance.

SECOND BUILD UPDATED:
Processor AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (Subscore 4.7: Base score 4.7 Determined by lowest subscore)

Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk 841GB Free (931GB Total)

Windows 7 Home Premium
=============================================

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer MSI
Model MS-7721
Number of processor cores 1

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disk partition (C:) 841 GB Free (931 GB Total)
Disk partition (E:) 229 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Shared system memory 3071 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.1090

Network

Notes

Collapse -
Hey, I have a laptop with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 1:26 AM PST
https://www.google.com/search?q=AMD+A6-5400K+APU

Hey, one of our demo laptops is too close to that spec. It's not a great performer compared to any of our i5 powered laptops. Sounds like they wanted a cheap desktop and went lowball on the CPU.

More RAM might help but from what I see, it will run but with occasional odd delays.

It's like the story of the horse or other farm animal that wanted to fit with with some other group.
Bob

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Vanillaman

Collapse -
The only remaining option is this machine:
by bob b / January 24, 2013 8:42 PM PST

That machine is a step backward.

The best of the options is the I3.

Collapse -
Decision made
by Vanillaman / January 29, 2013 3:56 PM PST

Hi Bob. Thank you so much for your help. I just wanted to let you know how much it is appreciated. In the end I opted for something that is much better than any we discussed. This info below is based on the control panel system info and performance, although for some reason the base score seems to have fallen for some reason from 4.9 to 4.8 since I purchased the machine on Saturday?

The additional info listed below this is much more detailed, based on DirectX Diagnostic Tool, as I was concerned that an attempt at downloading a program might have affected my DirectX. According to the tool I have version DirectX 11, yet in the system info it is listed as DirectX 10??

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz 7.2 4.8

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.5
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 4.8
Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory 6.3
Primary hard disk 421GB Free (465GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model System Product Name
Number of processor cores 2

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 1397 GB
Disk partition (C:) 421 GB Free (465 GB Total)
Disk partition (I:) 221 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics
Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.17.10.2932

Network

Network Adapter Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Notes

DirectX Diagnostic Tool info:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/29/2013, 07:29:12
Machine name: GLENN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/09/12 16:18:18 Ver: 07.02
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8108MB RAM
Page File: 2087MB used, 14128MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0152&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1360 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: W1943
Monitor Id: GSM4BAD
Native Mode: 1360 x 768(p) (60.015Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 9.17.0010.2932 (English)
Driver Version: 9.17.10.2932
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/14/2012 02:42:34, 12615680 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4212-11CF-8778-47A4B7C2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x0152
SubSys ID: 0x844D1043
Revision ID: 0x0009
Driver Strong Name: oem110.inf:Intel.Mfg.NTamd64:iIVBD0:9.17.10.2932:pci\ven_8086&dev_0152
Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C
Deinterlace Caps: {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend
D3D9 Overlay: Supported
DXVA-HD: Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_10438415&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
Driver Version: 6.01.7601.17514 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 350208 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
-------------------
DirectInput Devices
-------------------
Device Name: Mouse
Attached: 1
Controller ID: n/a
Vendor/Product ID: n/a
FF Driver: n/a

Device Name: Keyboard
Attached: 1
Controller ID: n/a
Vendor/Product ID: n/a
FF Driver: n/a

Poll w/ Interrupt: No

-----------
USB Devices
-----------
+ USB Root Hub
| Vendor/Product ID: 0x8086, 0x1C2D
| Matching Device ID: usb\root_hub20
| Service: usbhub
| Driver: usbhub.sys, 3/25/2011 03:29:26, 343040 bytes
| Driver: usbd.sys, 3/25/2011 03:28:59, 7936 bytes
|
+-+ Generic USB Hub
| | Vendor/Product ID: 0x8087, 0x0024
| | Location: Port_#0001.Hub_#0001
| | Matching Device ID: usb\class_09
| | Service: usbhub
| | Driver: usbhub.sys, 3/25/2011 03:29:26, 343040 bytes

----------------
Gameport Devices
----------------

------------
PS/2 Devices
------------
+ Standard PS/2 Keyboard
| Matching Device ID: *pnp0303
| Service: i8042prt
| Driver: i8042prt.sys, 7/13/2009 23:19:57, 105472 bytes
| Driver: kbdclass.sys, 7/14/2009 01:48:04, 50768 bytes
|
+ Terminal Server Keyboard Driver
| Matching Device ID: root\rdp_kbd
| Upper Filters: kbdclass
| Service: TermDD
| Driver: i8042prt.sys, 7/13/2009 23:19:57, 105472 bytes
| Driver: kbdclass.sys, 7/14/2009 01:48:04, 50768 bytes
|
+ HID-compliant mouse
| Vendor/Product ID: 0x093A, 0x2510
| Matching Device ID: hid_device_system_mouse
| Service: mouhid
| Driver: mouhid.sys, 7/14/2009 00:00:20, 31232 bytes
| Driver: mouclass.sys, 7/14/2009 01:48:27, 49216 bytes
|
+ Terminal Server Mouse Driver
| Matching Device ID: root\rdp_mou
| Upper Filters: mouclass
| Service: TermDD
| Driver: termdd.sys, 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 63360 bytes
| Driver: sermouse.sys, 7/14/2009 00:00:20, 26624 bytes
| Driver: mouclass.sys, 7/14/2009 01:48:27, 49216 bytes

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 430.9 GB
Total Space: 476.6 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device

Drive: I:
Free Space: 226.3 GB
Total Space: 953.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device

Drive: D:
Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB ATA Device
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (English), 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 147456 bytes

--------------
System Devices
--------------
Name: High Definition Audio Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_84151043&REV_05\3&11583659&1&D8
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\hdaudbus.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (English), 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 122368 bytes

Name: Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0150
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0150&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_09\3&11583659&1&00
Driver: n/a

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 1C1A
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C1A&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_B5\3&11583659&1&E5
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (English), 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 184704 bytes

Name: ASMedia XHCI Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_84881043&REV_00\4&14E4619&0&00E4

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 1C18
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C18&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_B5\3&11583659&1&E4
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (English), 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 184704 bytes

Name: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Device ID: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_30A1168C&REV_01\4&1D1B3AB2&0&00E1
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\athrx.sys, 8.00.0000.0238 (English), 10/5/2009 16:34:00, 1542656 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/14/2009 00:07:21, 24576 bytes

Name: Intel(R) H61 Express Chipset Family LPC Interface Controller - 1C5C
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C5C&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&1&F8
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\msisadrv.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/14/2009 01:48:27, 15424 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 1C12
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C12&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_B5\3&11583659&1&E1

Name: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_85051043&REV_09\4&34DBA784&0&00E5

Name: Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_04\3&11583659&1&B0

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1C10
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C10&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_B5\3&11583659&1&E0

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&1&D0
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys, 6.01.7601.17586 (English), 3/25/2011 03:29:04, 52736 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys, 6.01.7601.17586 (English), 3/25/2011 03:29:14, 325120 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys, 6.01.7601.17586 (English), 3/25/2011 03:29:26, 343040 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&1&FA
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\msahci.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (English), 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 31104 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\pciidex.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/14/2009 01:45:46, 48720 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), 7/14/2009 01:52:21, 24128 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.sys, 6.01.7601.17514 (English), 11/21/2010 03:23:47, 155520 bytes

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&1&E8
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys, 6.01.7601.17586 (English), 3/25/2011 03:29:04, 52736 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys, 6.01.7601.17586 (English), 3/25/2011 03:29:14, 325120 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys, 6.01.7601.17586 (English), 3/25/2011 03:29:26, 343040 bytes

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0152&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_09\3&11583659&1&10

Name: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller - 1C22
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C22&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&1&FB

Name: Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port - 0151
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0151&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_09\3&11583659&1&08

------------------
DirectShow Filters
------------------

DirectShow Filters:
WMAudio Decoder DMO,0x00800800,1,1,WMADMOD.DLL,6.01.7601.17514
WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMADMOD.DLL,6.01.7601.17514
WMSpeech Decoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMSPDMOD.DLL,6.01.7601.17514
MP3 Decoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,mp3dmod.dll,6.01.7600.16385
Mpeg4s Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,mp4sdecd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
WMV Screen decoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvsdecd.dll,6.01.7601.17514
WMVideo Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,wmvdecod.dll,6.01.7601.17514
Mpeg43 Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,mp43decd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
Mpeg4 Decoder DMO,0x00800001,1,1,mpg4decd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
DV Muxer,0x00400000,0,0,qdv.dll,6.06.7601.17514
Color Space Converter,0x00400001,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
WM ASF Reader,0x00400000,0,0,qasf.dll,12.00.7601.17514
Screen Capture filter,0x00200000,0,1,wmpsrcwp.dll,12.00.7601.17514
AVI Splitter,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
VGA 16 Color Ditherer,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
SBE2MediaTypeProfile,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7601.17528
Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder,0x005fffff,2,4,msmpeg2vdec.dll,6.01.7140.0000
AC3 Parser Filter,0x00600000,1,1,mpg2splt.ax,6.06.7601.17528
StreamBufferSink,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7601.17528
Microsoft TV Captions Decoder,0x00200001,1,0,MSTVCapn.dll,6.01.7601.17715
MJPEG Decompressor,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
CBVA DMO wrapper filter,0x00200000,1,1,cbva.dll,6.01.7601.17514
MPEG-I Stream Splitter,0x00600000,1,2,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
SAMI (CC) Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
VBI Codec,0x00600000,1,4,VBICodec.ax,6.06.7601.17514
MPEG-2 Splitter,0x005fffff,1,0,mpg2splt.ax,6.06.7601.17528
Closed Captions Analysis Filter,0x00200000,2,5,cca.dll,6.06.7601.17514
SBE2FileScan,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7601.17528
Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder,0x00200000,1,1,msmpeg2enc.dll,6.01.7601.17514
Internal Script Command Renderer,0x00800001,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
MPEG Audio Decoder,0x03680001,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
DV Splitter,0x00600000,1,2,qdv.dll,6.06.7601.17514
Video Mixing Renderer 9,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Microsoft MPEG-2 Encoder,0x00200000,2,1,msmpeg2enc.dll,6.01.7601.17514
ACM Wrapper,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Video Renderer,0x00800001,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
MPEG-2 Video Stream Analyzer,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7601.17528
Line 21 Decoder,0x00600000,1,1,,
Video Port Manager,0x00600000,2,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Video Renderer,0x00400000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
VPS Decoder,0x00200000,0,0,WSTPager.ax,6.06.7601.17514
WM ASF Writer,0x00400000,0,0,qasf.dll,12.00.7601.17514
VBI Surface Allocator,0x00600000,1,1,vbisurf.ax,6.01.7601.17514
File writer,0x00200000,1,0,qcap.dll,6.06.7601.17514
iTV Data Sink,0x00600000,1,0,itvdata.dll,6.06.7601.17514
iTV Data Capture filter,0x00600000,1,1,itvdata.dll,6.06.7601.17514
DVD Navigator,0x00200000,0,3,qdvd.dll,6.06.7601.17835
Microsoft TV Subtitles Decoder,0x00200001,1,0,MSTVCapn.dll,6.01.7601.17715
Overlay Mixer2,0x00200000,1,1,,
RDP DShow Redirection Filter,0xffffffff,1,0,DShowRdpFilter.dll,
Microsoft MPEG-2 Audio Encoder,0x00200000,1,1,msmpeg2enc.dll,6.01.7601.17514
WST Pager,0x00200000,1,1,WSTPager.ax,6.06.7601.17514
MPEG-2 Demultiplexer,0x00600000,1,1,mpg2splt.ax,6.06.7601.17528
DV Video Decoder,0x00800000,1,1,qdv.dll,6.06.7601.17514
SampleGrabber,0x00200000,1,1,qedit.dll,6.06.7601.17514
Null Renderer,0x00200000,1,0,qedit.dll,6.06.7601.17514
MPEG-2 Sections and Tables,0x005fffff,1,0,Mpeg2Data.ax,6.06.7601.17514
Microsoft AC3 Encoder,0x00200000,1,1,msac3enc.dll,6.01.7601.17514
StreamBufferSource,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7601.17528
Smart Tee,0x00200000,1,2,qcap.dll,6.06.7601.17514
Overlay Mixer,0x00200000,0,0,,
AVI Decompressor,0x00600000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
NetBridge,0x00200000,2,0,netbridge.dll,6.01.7601.17514
AVI/WAV File Source,0x00400000,0,2,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Wave Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
MIDI Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Multi-file Parser,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
File stream renderer,0x00400000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder,0x005fffff,1,1,msmpeg2adec.dll,6.01.7140.0000
StreamBufferSink2,0x00200000,0,0,sbe.dll,6.06.7601.17528
AVI Mux,0x00200000,1,0,qcap.dll,6.06.7601.17514
Line 21 Decoder 2,0x00600002,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
File Source (Async.),0x00400000,0,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
File Source (URL),0x00400000,0,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Media Center Extender Encryption Filter,0x00200000,2,2,Mcx2Filter.dll,6.01.7601.17514
AudioRecorder WAV Dest,0x00200000,0,0,WavDest.dll,
AudioRecorder Wave Form,0x00200000,0,0,WavDest.dll,
SoundRecorder Null Renderer,0x00200000,0,0,WavDest.dll,
Infinite Pin Tee Filter,0x00200000,1,1,qcap.dll,6.06.7601.17514
Enhanced Video Renderer,0x00200000,1,0,evr.dll,6.01.7601.17514
BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter,0x00200000,2,0,psisrndr.ax,6.06.7601.17669
MPEG Video Decoder,0x40000001,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713

WDM Streaming Tee/Splitter Devices:
Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter,0x00200000,1,1,ksproxy.ax,6.01.7601.17514

Video Compressors:
WMVideo8 Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvxencd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
WMVideo9 Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvencod.dll,6.01.7600.16385
MSScreen 9 encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,wmvsencd.dll,6.01.7600.16385
DV Video Encoder,0x00200000,0,0,qdv.dll,6.06.7601.17514
MJPEG Compressor,0x00200000,0,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713

Audio Compressors:
WM Speech Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMSPDMOE.DLL,6.01.7600.16385
WMAudio Encoder DMO,0x00600800,1,1,WMADMOE.DLL,6.01.7600.16385
IMA ADPCM,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
PCM,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Microsoft ADPCM,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
GSM 6.10,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
CCITT A-Law,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
CCITT u-Law,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
MPEG Layer-3,0x00200000,1,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713

PBDA CP Filters:
PBDA DTFilter,0x00600000,1,1,CPFilters.dll,6.06.7601.17528
PBDA ETFilter,0x00200000,0,0,CPFilters.dll,6.06.7601.17528
PBDA PTFilter,0x00200000,0,0,CPFilters.dll,6.06.7601.17528

Midi Renderers:
Default MidiOut Device,0x00800000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713

WDM Streaming Rendering Devices:
HD Audio Headphone/Speakers,0x00200000,1,1,ksproxy.ax,6.01.7601.17514

BDA Network Providers:
Microsoft ATSC Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7601.17514
Microsoft DVBC Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7601.17514
Microsoft DVBS Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7601.17514
Microsoft DVBT Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSDvbNP.ax,6.06.7601.17514
Microsoft Network Provider,0x00200000,0,1,MSNP.ax,6.06.7601.17514

Multi-Instance Capable VBI Codecs:
VBI Codec,0x00600000,1,4,VBICodec.ax,6.06.7601.17514

BDA Transport Information Renderers:
BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter,0x00600000,2,0,psisrndr.ax,6.06.7601.17669
MPEG-2 Sections and Tables,0x00600000,1,0,Mpeg2Data.ax,6.06.7601.17514

BDA CP/CA Filters:
Decrypt/Tag,0x00600000,1,1,EncDec.dll,6.06.7601.17708
Encrypt/Tag,0x00200000,0,0,EncDec.dll,6.06.7601.17708
PTFilter,0x00200000,0,0,EncDec.dll,6.06.7601.17708
XDS Codec,0x00200000,0,0,EncDec.dll,6.06.7601.17708

WDM Streaming Communication Transforms:
Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter,0x00200000,1,1,ksproxy.ax,6.01.7601.17514

Audio Renderers:
Speakers (High Definition Audio,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Default DirectSound Device,0x00800000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
Default WaveOut Device,0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713
DirectSound: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device),0x00200000,1,0,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.17713

---------------
EVR Power Information
---------------
Current Setting: {5C67A112-A4C9-483F-B4A7-1D473BECAFDC} (Quality)
Quality Flags: 2576
Enabled:
Force throttling
Allow half deinterlace
Allow scaling
Decode Power Usage: 100
Balanced Flags: 1424
Enabled:
Force throttling
Allow batching
Force half deinterlace
Force scaling
Decode Power Usage: 50
PowerFlags: 1424
Enabled:
Force throttling
Allow batching
Force half deinterlace
Force scaling
Decode Power Usage: 0

Collapse -
Answer
Help
by bob b / January 18, 2013 6:47 AM PST

Neither machine is designed for gaming.
If you don't game that's not an issue.

Both machines are your everyday work horse most folks have.
Surfing/word processing/maybe a game of solitaire...etc.

If you set both machines side by side and ran that sort of stuff I doubt you would see a difference.

Collapse -
Why is that AMD e1 CPU based unit on the list?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 12:04 AM PST

I thought by now you figured out that the low end CPU was not what you wanted?

Collapse -
2nd Build update and Alternative Options? (correction)
by Vanillaman / January 23, 2013 12:36 AM PST

Rob. I'm really getting tired of your attitude. If you cannot be civil with people seeking help, then please don't bother them again. I was responding to another, more helpful and supportive contributor, so please drop the arrogance and delusions of grandeur. You haven't even bothered looking at the info I sent.

Collapse -
I looked at each item
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 12:45 AM PST

And asked why that one made your list.

My attitude is that if I understand why you put that on the list I would be able to find out what you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Clarify?
by Vanillaman / January 23, 2013 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: I looked at each item

Which one? It is hard for me to know what you are referring to if you don't identify which particular item, especially since this is the first you have even made reference to the list???

Collapse -
Will do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Clarify?

As in my next post I looked for benchmarks on the i3 versus the dual core pentium and the i3 easily passed the other two units.

I am guessing that you want me to number the items that have the i3, pentium and AMD but this is your money. You should be intimately aware of what each model has to offer or you may get mislead by others.

I'd look again at items 1 and 2 (the ones with the core i3) but without knowing why you put those on the list I can't pick a winner.
Bob

Collapse -
Item 1
by Vanillaman / January 23, 2013 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Will do.

Sorry. I just missed your message while answering the last, so they may overlap. I added those 2 based on what we discussed earlier, and I phoned the store to get more info. The i3 being the latest and that it is pretty powerful nailed it. I do multiple tasks at once, and it often involves video editing in Adobe Premiere and AE, web design in Dreamweaver and music software. I also need something fast. I don't play games much, as I'm pretty useless at them, but my film making involves graphics and animation. So, item 1 looks like a certainty. Not sure yet what to make of Windows 8, as reviews are mixed and I'm relying on devices rather than touch screen. I hope this helps give a clearer understanding?

Collapse -
Ignore the Pentium dual core too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 1:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you
by Vanillaman / January 23, 2013 4:30 AM PST

I'm not upset, and I do appreciate your honesty.

Unfortunately, one of the i3 based desktops is no longer in stock: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-p6-2260ea-desktop-pc-14134712-pdt.html Turns out, it was a one time offer.

However, it looks like the one I'm going for is: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compaq-cq2960ea-desktop-pc-17392836-pdt.html
I'm not really bothered about the 4GB RAM, since I can add another couple of GB at a low price. The hard drive not being 1TB isn't really a problem, since I already have a 1TB Western Digital external hard drive

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you
Collapse -
RAM and PCIe slot
by Vanillaman / January 23, 2013 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

I asked about the extra RAM and they confirmed I could increase it to 8GB, and it does say that more can easily be added on the specs from the link. However, I'm glad you mentioned the PCIe slot, so I can ask about that when I call into the store.

Collapse -
Added on versus changed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: RAM and PCIe slot

Some owners get upset that you can't add ram. In this case to increase ram we replace it. If you slice the words finely, that's slightly different.
Bob

Collapse -
RAM and PCIe slot
by Vanillaman / January 23, 2013 6:22 AM PST

I see what you mean. I'll inquire if RAM can be added or increased.

Either way, I'm happy enough that it's better than the original 2 built versions. I guess it is my own fault that I went to a local tech shop to have it built, as someone did warn me that they tend to cut corners and deceive unsuspecting customers.

Collapse -
Just be aware of what your buying
by bob b / January 23, 2013 10:04 PM PST

Cpu.
A6>I3 should give a nice bump in cpu power.

Ram.
If you want to increase ram you remove the 2 orig sticks and install 2 new sticks.
That machine uses udimms.
You might want to check on the cost and availability of that stuff.

Video.
There is no upgrade path......integrated graphics only.
If the graphics don't meet your needs your "sol".

Even if there was a pcie slot you would not be able to use it.
The machine has a 90w psu.

Collapse -
RAM and PCIe slot
by Vanillaman / January 24, 2013 1:27 AM PST

Okay, but do you still recommend it is better than the original 2 specs?

Collapse -
Better than orig two.
by bob b / January 24, 2013 6:15 AM PST

Cpu.......yes

Gpu.......Yes/no

This is just an opinion......I would not buy a machine where I was locked to integrated graphics.

The Igp may work fine for what I'm doing today but I don't know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow.
I want that upgrade path even if I never use it.

With all the different machines available it's tough to pick one unless you know what you want and can cut through the marketing hype

Are you confused yet?

Collapse -
RAM and PCIe slot
by Vanillaman / January 24, 2013 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: Better than orig two.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.