Computer Help

Question

Help: Installing A Modded (Unlocked?) BIOS

by mlauzon / February 8, 2013 10:03 PM PST

I am looking to install the Insyde 1.12 Unlocked BIOS for my Acer Aspire V3-771G, I currently have the stock version of the Insyde 1.12 BIOS installed, so I am unsure if I can actually install what amounts to the same BIOS, although unlocked, over it.

The stock BIOS can be installed directly from within Windows and also has a DOS installer as well, but I am not sure about the unlocked BIOS. Here is a screenshot of the files within the zip file for the unlocked BIOS:

The BIOS itself can be found for download here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24459764/Acer_Aspire_V3-771G_Unlocked.zip

There are no instructions in the zip archive, which I think is just stupid!

Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this, because I assume there are people here who have installed unlocked BIOS in their PCs before?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help: Installing A Modded (Unlocked?) BIOS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help: Installing A Modded (Unlocked?) BIOS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: unlocked BIOS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 11:02 PM PST
Collapse -
Not Helpful!
by mlauzon / February 9, 2013 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re: unlocked BIOS

Where do you think I got the unlocked BIOS from?

They are NOT answering any questions, just like the *****s on the DD-WRT forums, so I decided to post elsewhere because someone must have done it and has the knowledge to pass along.

Collapse -
Forget forums. Back to Acer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Not Helpful!

If it's supported, surely Acer will answer this one. Kees was honest in his answers. But once in a while folk are upset when something isn't supported here.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer Won't Give An Answer
by mlauzon / February 9, 2013 3:39 AM PST

The unlocked BIOS I got directly from BIOS-Mods.com, this is what they do there, however, they refuse -- just like the asshats on the DD-WRT forums -- to help or answer questions!

Collapse -
Name calling can drive folk away from you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 4:18 AM PST

I didn't refuse to help but rarely do such when it can result in a bricked PC.

The reason they may not offer much instruction is that they expect folk to try putting the files in a folder on the desktop and then running the .exe. Double clicking on the .exe is a basic skill?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Own risk
by Willy / February 9, 2013 6:13 AM PST

The bios update(user rewrite) would the same as what Acer already does when it supplies some bios update. If this is some .exe file, you launch it from the PC own OS. If this needs a low-level access as in its boots into the bios level and you then launch it. All this would be available from the Acer supplied details of a bios update, so check the Acer support website. Of course, you're not going to get any support if the update fails or unauthorized version. While you state you want details, then where ever you got this "hacked version" is your source or dwell further into that side of the fence of such things. Basically, you're on your own and proceed at your own risk. This is probably why no immediate help is available, other hoping it following the std. procedure of a bios update.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Addenum...
by Willy / February 9, 2013 6:22 AM PST

Look into "flashit" pgm. or use keywords: Insyde bios. There seems to be info that way and again because these are user provided tools or details, yada, yada you're at the mercy of those providing it. It appears you want a work-around the UEFI bios issues. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Laptops W/ Win7 Are BIOS
by mlauzon / February 9, 2013 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Addenum...

I don't have UEFI, I just have the regular BIOS.

V1.12 & earlier are regular BIOS for the Acer V3-771G w/ Win7, while v2 & above are UEFI for the Acer V3-771G w/ Win8.

Collapse -
Answer
Rather than posting ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 9, 2013 2:45 PM PST

the same message in a dozen forums why not stick with the one the author sticks around in?

Play nice and post to Cami regarding your problem and ask NICELY for help (no one likes to hear that any aspect of the work they have done is "just stupid"). Also learn to be a bit patient as you are asking for assistance , NOT contracting to PAY for a job to be done for you.

Follow the riles and you will get assistance here -
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Unlocked-Acer-AO522-Bios-Unlock?page=2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.