Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HELP! IncrediMail Install & Use

by ladytrickster / October 30, 2004 8:36 AM PDT

Hi. HELP! I have MSN e-mail. I can do a few fun things to make my e-mails lively, but IncrediMail has some good stuff I'd like to use. So I downloaded the latest version. That's as far as I got. I want to be able to use my MSN Mail just as it is, but with the extra features of IncrediMail, like backgrounds, etc.
I'm confused about the set-up process, so I need Help & Advice. I have to Define the Account Settings, Define E-Mail Server Settings which are provided by my ISP. gobbledeekgook. The I must Import these e-mail acct settings as used by my E-Mail Program (Outlook? Why does everybody else have Outlook Express?). It is recommended that I Import my Inbox folder and my Address Book. Now I'm Really Nervous. Do I end up doing e-mail out of 2 different programs? MSN and IncrediMail? I'm sure there's more to the set-up, too. I just want MSN Mail to be able to use the goodies in IncrediMail. I just want it to be easy. Can You Help? sorry for the long rant. I have XP SP1. from a "creative" "dummie." Thanks in advance. ladytrickster

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! IncrediMail Install & Use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! IncrediMail Install & Use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HELP! IncrediMail Install & Use
by roddy32 / October 30, 2004 9:02 AM PDT

This is probably NOT what you want to hear but most, if not all security forums and spyware/adware forums consider Incredimail spyware. I have a number of friends that used to have it and not only did it include spyware but it slowed their systems down immensly. It is also very hard to remove completely from your computer. I'm not trying to scare you but I'm pretty sure that the Mods in here will back me up on this. Sorry I can't help you, I'm just trying to save you some headaches.

Collapse -
Consider this an affirmative nod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

I don't endorse Incredimail in any way, shape or form. As the office, its banned and "Tech" has it in writing that we don't offer any support for it.

It's just one unpredictable piece of software with questionable security issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Consider this an affirmative nod.
by sabina_2004 / November 1, 2004 9:08 AM PST

I was just searching in cnet for reviews on incredimail and came across your comments and I am beginning to believe you. I also downloaded incredimail, being totally bored with Outlook Express and my Spyware Doctor plus spybot have informed me on several occasions that incredimail is in my registry. Today I have had 23 items removed from my registry and most of them from incredimail.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which other program I could use that comes close to incredimail, but does not have the traps?
I seem to get lost in all the forums, so if I can't find you, pls. reply to my email.
I guess I am becoming a nuisance since I have joined cnet. Sorry.
Regards,
sabina.

Collapse -
by Dusty14l / November 5, 2004 12:15 AM PST

I started using Incredimail almost three years ago,
right after I first got online...

I LOVE IT>...I did notice at the time those pesky little ads....but didn't really know much at that time...
about a year later, I upgraded to the Premium version..and they disappeared...I have heard about spyware and adware...and have gotten several, including Norton Systemworks, Panicware, Adaware, ZeroSpyware, and Spybot...and with the Premium and now the Gold version of Incredimail...They always come out clean....I checked an old hard drive..and there was some stuff..but NOT since I upgraded...

and I upgraded cause I think Incredimail is WELL worth the price...I am a writer..and right now working on a new novel..and I WRITE .. IN INCREDIMAIL..cause the stationery, graphics, animations, etc..are SO kewl..

Hope that helps...I have really never had any problems with Incredimail...except when upgrading my
computer..as I had to do recently...and their Tech Support is a bit slow..but whose isn't these days...

Good Luck

Dustybear

Collapse -
by symbiosis72 / November 5, 2004 2:40 PM PST

I have also gone to Incredimail Premium. It's like anything else you download, like Download Accelorator that you have to get the premium package to disable the ads. There are extra features in the premium edition. If you do decide to buy it however, get the bundled edition with the Letter creator. I decided to purchase as I am going into business for myself. The full version of Download Acc. is a good buy too. Be sure to check out the Mendellian Chi Square Solver (on CNET - download)...Link fixed soon!!!

Collapse -
by saxyman2003 / November 6, 2004 11:03 AM PST

I am an XP SP1 user and have to agree with Dusty. I immediately became a premium lifetime member 3 years ago and in no other email program have I been able to scan pics and use them as email backgrounds, or insert great clips from movies such as "The Matrix". Not to mention the fact that you can actually 'bounce' unwanted email back to the sender! Yes, I knew/know that Incredimail with one day be 'monopolistic' once people experience it. Two things that I would like to advise is the 'politics' regarding some email programs not allowing the wonderful things from Incredimail into their program, and the fact that (I just contacted "VIP Support" about this)... it doesn't have a 'Calendar' feature...(I am forced to use Outlook for my calendar:-)) One day everyone will use Incredimail and the world of email will be a better place! lol

Collapse -
by Dusty14l / November 25, 2004 3:51 PM PST

HEHE...thanks...and Yes, I also opted for the bundle..

as for the calendar, There are several out there..
I also got 'Say The Time' by Provenio...also via CNET..and then bought the premium version...great little program...flexible..and has a good calendar
alert function...and again, with the premium..no
adware...

Dustybear

Collapse -
by Mart6 / November 26, 2004 1:49 AM PST

Hi,

Having used various version of Incredimail and Incredimail Premium i have now returned to Outlook Express the reason being it is very difficult to remove Incredimail totally from your system as it leaves various registry strings and i find Outlook Express a better User friendly client and all you really got on Incredimail is just the backgrounds extra which i never used any way!

Regards,

Mart.

Collapse -
Help I am now getting garbled email in code - Help - help
by nafziger / December 6, 2004 8:34 AM PST

I am now getting garbled code instead of emails in English
I can't find anyplace to tell incredimail to translate code to English
The sender is not the responsible party

Collapse -
by greta / November 27, 2004 11:22 PM PST

You could always try Netscape Mail.
I does not come with all the smilies but you can
change import backgrounds and ani gifs that are around
and do a lot of formating.

Collapse -
by HatTrick / December 5, 2004 10:02 AM PST

I would agree Netscape Mail would be a good choice. I stopped using Netscape Mail at version 4.7x when i switched to the Mozilla Suite (which Netscape 6.x/7.x are based on) and have neve looked back, though I dont use any fancy things in my email. Though for a similar but stand alone mail client try Mozilla Thunderbird.

Note: haven never used Outlook/Outlook Express on a regular basis or for my own email client, but my experience with it was not very pleasant.

Collapse -
by techuser / November 25, 2004 5:39 PM PST

Dusty,

YOU CRACK ME UP!! I REALLY have to wonder what kind of a writer you can be if you find IncrediMail your editor of choice.

As for email, why do you knuckleheads insist on sending HTML mail? Not only is it a type of thinly disguised spam, but it is a potential virus/trojan carrier. My service provider disables incoming HTML content, and does not even have an option for formatting outgOing mail in HTML.

If you think your email content is so lame that it cannot stand on its own but needs some eye-candy to entice the receiver to read it, then there is obviously something fundamentally lacking in the content! If you indeed have some worthwhile "rich media" to pass along, then for heaven's sake zip an attachment to a simple text message!

IT'S NOT YOO LATE!! YOU TOO CAN JOIN THE 21ST CENTURY!!

Collapse -
by n2ifp / November 25, 2004 8:21 PM PST

I am sorry, but this knuckle head enjoys the eye candy! If I can't enjoy my computer, then why bother? I've been a PC user for 20+ years and I also use incredimail. I use a firewall, ad blocker, virus scanner, and occaisionally scan for spyware. In my experience, the biggest threat is in the attachments from someone's infected PC. Other than that, I really have had no problems, even though I use Internet Explorer. To me, there's too much fuss over nothing, as long as a user has a good up to date anti-virus scanner.

Larry Winward

Collapse -
by 10berti / November 26, 2004 8:55 AM PST

100% in agreement! i'm always asked what email program i use because people enjoy the backgrounds, etc. i've had no problems with it and am very happy with this FREE product.

Collapse -
by TheMicroMage / November 25, 2004 9:42 PM PST

complete and total agreement HTML email is not only annoying but a bandwidth hog and dangerous. keep it simple. Remamber email was designed for rapid communication.

Collapse -
by bluesrock1 / November 26, 2004 8:11 PM PST

So was the model "T"

Collapse -
by HatTrick / December 5, 2004 10:08 AM PST

I agree, but look at instant messaging, same thing rapid comminication but look at it now with all the emoticons and stuff,w hat happend to simple smilies? I am forced to have all 4 major IM clients, and the only one that isnt the latest version is ICQ which is still version 2001b, and will not upgrade untill they go back to that simple format, its the only true IM client, not some lame instant chat, where the offline messages in MSN and AIM?

Collapse -
by Binhead / November 25, 2004 8:37 PM PST

I fully endorse what Dustybear said. I have worked with PCs since their birth and have seen a lot of dodgy software in my time. This is not one of them!

Binhead

Collapse -
by randyz48 / November 26, 2004 5:34 AM PST

i too got incredimail premium a few years ago and it was not loaded with spyware like the free version is. i do not like what they have done to the premium owners though. when i paid for the premium version and the letter writer programs, it was for lifetime free upgrades and access to their entire site. i loved it and downloaded all their extras. well my system crashed and i did not use it for awhile. i re-installed it and went to get some of my old letter backgrounds and it said i had to be a gold member! it was letters i already downloaded when i was a premium member and still am. they just split up the extras and called it gold member items! i think they did this so they could charge more and get around the premium members. i think this sucks! i paid for this and they should not be allowed to break it up and charge more just because they want to call it for gold members just to make more money!!! someone should look into this improper practice to see if this is legal to do. i like the program but not their tactics and the way they do business. just my point of view. randy

Collapse -
by MarDel53 / November 26, 2004 6:45 PM PST

I also have been using Incredimail for so long that they offered me a simple deal and I accepted. I purchased their program plus just recently I purchased their Letter Creator and of course I downloaded their skins program and enjoy making skins. No adware for incredimail shows up when I clean my computer. Wish people would stop knocking Incredimail; Try purchasing it people; if you like to use it, why not pay for it? It is well worth it and sure beats OutLook Express.

Collapse -
My problem with Incredimail!
by tonyron227 / November 5, 2004 1:38 AM PST

I used this program for a few years and I was having headaches because my system was always running at 100% CPU usage. I started taking courses on PC Maintenance and repair and discovered that this program can cause a lot of problems. I deleted this program and immediately my system started running normally, low CPU usage. Take my advice and leave this program alone if you are a novice.

Collapse -
Re: My problem with Incredimail!
by totallyforgiven / November 6, 2004 10:21 AM PST

I have used Incredimail for several years also. I recently did an update from Microsoft, SP#2, it screwed up my computer, my browsers. Once I uninstalled this update, my computer started working right. I had several friends who had the same problem.

Collapse -
by meanddeb / November 5, 2004 5:33 AM PST

Incredimail is a great mail client if you buy it .
The free bee is spy ware and it tells you that at the get go

Collapse -
by PamiOhio / November 7, 2004 3:42 AM PST

I have Incredimail (which handles my Yahoo e-mail accounts) as well as a spyware programme... NOT once has any spyware been found in and or attributed to Incredimail.

Collapse -
by techman8351 / November 25, 2004 7:58 PM PST

Can't imagine what spyware program you are using that won't find spyware after using Incredicrap.

Collapse -
by zanxxx / November 26, 2004 3:09 AM PST

I have used the premium version of Incredimail and the only "spyware" associated with it is ONE COOKIE!
If you find that disturbing by all means do not install this program.
As to the spartans and their dislike of HTML email content, I can only assume they own black & white tv's. Color would be just an annoying distraction. Perhaps they own only radios; after all it conveys just the necessary information without all that bandwith hogging.

Collapse -
by hotjoeker / November 27, 2004 2:42 AM PST

Can you please tell me what spyware are you using? I have both adaware and spyboot search and distroy and even yahoo spyware in its toolbar but not one of them showed that my FREE Incredimail is a spyware.

I am using Incredemail build 3001609 and I love it.

Collapse -
by jjwhitehorse / November 28, 2004 3:26 AM PST

I use Webroot Spy Sweeper and it finds and blocks an Incredimail tracking cookie everytime I start up my computer. (Big deal) It also has found some very serious spyware (unrelated to Incredimail) that no other program had every found, including Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Spyware Blaster (which I all use regularly). I love to use Incredimail, which is relatively harmless. But if you don't have Spy Sweeper (which has, at present, over 38,000 spyware fingerprints in its arsenal and is updated constantly, you don't have a clue how your computer may have been compromised. Happy e-mailing, Incredimail really gives your communications a kick in the backside. The left-brain types will never understand this...They would probably find a slide-rule more entertaining...

Collapse -
by jdeere4600 / November 25, 2004 8:52 PM PST

I too--use Incredimail, and never found a thing or had a problem with the program. The only thing they use are little adds in the top right hand corner. And thank you for being here (C-Net).

Collapse -
by rreinman / November 26, 2004 3:30 AM PST

Hello,
I have used Incredimail for a few years now.
I have not found ANY spy ware in Incredimail.
I use Adaware, Spybot Search and Distroy, and PestPatrol.
None of them came up with relevant spy ware that is directly connected to Incredimail.
I don't know what everybody is talking about, but it is just a fancy INTERFACE for Outlook/Outlook Express.
I have never had a breach of intuition or spy ware or mail ware in my machine from it.
Check your security settings people, and have fun with it!

RR
Systems Administrator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.