Phones forum

Question

HELP! I need your opinion on which phone to get..

by DrkX / October 19, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

Hello!

I cannot decide between the following phones! Please give me your opinion or advice? I've watched a CRAZY amount of youtube videos.. And I'm going crazy, lol. The 'Benchmark' tests seem sporadic and inconsistent, half the time saying one phones better, then the other half saying the other phone is better..

So, which of the following do you recommend to someone upgrading from an iPhone 3GS (it's too slow now, and doesn't hold long of a charge):

1) iPhone 5 (I've heard it does better on benchmark speed/performance tests and has a more accurate color screen then the Samsungs)

2) Galaxy S3 (I've heard the international is better to order than the local version?)

3) Galaxy Note 2 (Haven't heard anything bad except that the screen's DPI is not as good as some of its contenders?)

4) LG Optimus G (I've heard LG sucks with updates usually, doesn't have the support Samsung or Apple has, people fear Jelly Bean will never be updated to the phone, and that, like the S3, the international version is better to order, because of a 13MP camera vs. the local 8MP?)

I just want a phone that's going to be minimal on lag, have great batter life for the 4G speeds I'm about to want to use, and be speedy with apps, because I like to play those darn things.. Haha. (Also, a good camera would be awesome)

Thanks!

-B

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! I need your opinion on which phone to get..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! I need your opinion on which phone to get..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
battery life still not a strong point for all
by Pepe7 / October 20, 2012 3:39 PM PDT

Get the iPhone 5.

Collapse -
Answer
Perhaps have a play with all 4 phones...
by emily_p4u / October 23, 2012 7:36 PM PDT

None of the battery life on any of those handsets is ever going to be amazing at the moment, but if app's are your preference i'd definitely suggest the iPhone 5. Don't rule out the Note 2 though as that is an absolutely fantastic new handset.

Maybe pop into a phone store and ask if you can have a hands on experience with each model and get a feel for which one you feel most comfortable with?

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) note 2 by all means
by shtopper / November 7, 2012 8:53 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.