Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help! I have no sound, and I cannot shut down my

by gapch125 / February 14, 2005 1:49 PM PST

computer. I have a Dell Dimesion 8300, Intel Pentium 4 cpu, 300 ghz. 299 grhz, 512 mb of ram. Running WXP home verison 2002, SP2 and lastest critical updates. Nvidia GE Force fX 5200 and creative sb live series 5. I have ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, AVG Free antivirus with the latest definitions, and Sybot Search and Destroy.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! I have no sound, and I cannot shut down my
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! I have no sound, and I cannot shut down my
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When did you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 14, 2005 5:54 PM PST

have sound?

When were you able to shut down the computer?

What changes have been made since then? Can you reverse those changes? eg System Restore?

What are the symptoms of the No Shut Down"?

More info please so we can help you. Happy

Collapse -
When did you (more information)
by gapch125 / February 15, 2005 1:18 PM PST
In reply to: When did you

Okay, I did a system restore today. I went back to a day in January and then I undid the restore. Now I can shut down WXP. But I still have no sound. I had sound back then. I went into sound and according to all tests, every thing checks out okay.

The only thing difference is that I have now a battery backup system that I just installed last week. I did not unplug any thing from the back of my tower, I only plugged in the backup into an open usb port.

Collapse -
Hi bb
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 15, 2005 6:32 PM PST

Thanks for the further info.

I'm still confused, Happy

You say that the sound test were all ok, but does this mean you could not hear anything?

If so, check that the speaker leads are plugged in to the back of the computer correctly. Does this help?

Next: You said, "I did a system restore, .......... then I undid the restore".

Did you restore back to January, and if so, did that solve the Shut Down problem? If so have you undone the restore, and has this caused the shut down problem to re-appear?

Collapse -
help! I'm sorry that I am confusing
by gapch125 / February 16, 2005 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Hi bb

all who try to help me.

1.I had no sound as of February 7, 2005. This is when I stupidly downloaded an addition to DFX for Windows Media Play. This hung up the Windows Media Player. I had to use task manager to unhang this. After this I could not hear any sounds coming through the hard drive. Nor could I turn off my machine.

2.I did a system restore going back to January 17th. I still not turn off my machine. But when I used my husband as an user, then I could turn off the machine.

3.On Tuesday February 15, I did the undo system restore.
When I did this, now I can turn off my computer.

All of this time during the restoration and unrestoration I have had no sound coming through either the hard drive or through my external speakers. So did I corrupt my sound driver? If I did, please publish all steps necessary to reinstall a driver. I can follow steps but don't just tell me to install driver, Okay. Sometimes I am very thick-headed.

I am sorry that I did not thoroughly explain my problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.