Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Help I cannot delete some unwanted cookies

by aaaguy1 / August 19, 2011 5:51 AM PDT

I use Windows Vista/Explorer; I have some cookies that WILL NOT delete. The type is Paintshop Pro I guess thats what they opened in so that is how they are saved.
I have located them and tried right clicking them and clicking delete but they will not go away.
BTW- I did clean out all of my cookies but these stayed behind. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove email address on 08/19/2011 at 1:38 PM PT

aaaguy1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help I cannot delete some unwanted cookies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help I cannot delete some unwanted cookies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by aaaguy1

Collapse -
Temporary Internet Files
by aaaguy1 / August 19, 2011 9:07 AM PDT

The folder is Temporary Internet Files. I right click on it and try to delete but it doesn't work. I already had cleaned out my cookies so there are not that many in there.

Thank you for having them remove my email... I did not think of that.
I appreciate your help.
Alan

Collapse -
Don't Delete The Entire TIF Folder
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 19, 2011 1:07 PM PDT

Instead, try restarting the computer into Safe Mode, then using Explorer, navigate to the same "Temporary Internet Files" folder, open it, then try deleting the cookies that reside there. They should disappear while you're in Safe Mode. If not, then a command line "Del" from Safe Mode should make them go away.

Hope this helps

Grif

Collapse -
Didn't work
by aaaguy1 / August 20, 2011 5:31 AM PDT

Okay, I went in under safe mode; I tried to right click and delete and selected them and pressed Del.... it didn't work. Not sure what to try next? Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
This looks like something else then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work

Tell us why you believe this is a cookie, how you found out, and what it says.

Did CCleaner list it in it's Cookies list? If not it is not a standard cookie.

Mark

Collapse -
TIF
by aaaguy1 / August 20, 2011 6:44 AM PDT

It is located in the TIF file; I thought all items in the TIF file were cookies. I just went back in and looked it does not say it is a cookie. It has a web-address and expiration just like a cookie does. It is from bing.com and was opened with paintshop pro so under Type is says paintshop pro. What else could this be? Sorry I do not know that much about this. Thank you for the help. Alan

Collapse -
Not a cookie then.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: TIF

The TIF holds all other web files as well as cookies. (In fact I wasn't sure cookies were held in the TIF, but there you go, I learn something everyday).

The TIF holds web page images, and other web page content, so this Photoshop file is something else.

Again, I am surprised that CCleaner does not get rid.

Have you tried the direct approach yet? Open a Command prompt, navigate to this TIF folder, and delete it from there.

Why do you want to delete this file?

Mark

Collapse -
TIF
by aaaguy1 / August 20, 2011 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a cookie then.

I thought they were cookies and I was mad that a website placed them on my computer and I could not remove them. I have heard that cookies can be good or bad and any that will not allow me to remove them I figured had to be bad.
Not sure how to get to the TIF file through the command prompt. I may just let these expire since it doesn't appear to be a cookie.
Thank you again

Collapse -
Answer
Try CCleaner
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 19, 2011 6:08 AM PDT

The 'free' version here; http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Cookies are always browser related files, so I am unsure of your reference to PaintShop Pro.

Where did you locate these, what folder in Windows?

Use CCleaner but before running its cleaner head over to its Options > Cookies area to save the cookies you need.

By the way, posting your email address in public forms is not advised as spam bots can grab it for spamming emails. I have asked the Forum Admin to remove your email address.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
ccleaner
by aaaguy1 / August 19, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

Sorry I forgot to mention that I tried ccleaner but it didn't help. I tried AVG to scan and remove tracking cookies that didn't help either.
How is it that a cookie can be placed on your computer and you cannot remove it? Seems that there has to be a way.
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.