Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Help? Hughesnet, do they block sites? How to fix it?

by poodlenme / March 12, 2009 5:16 PM PDT

I live out in the boonies and made the expensive mistake of signing on to hughesnet sat internet.

I paid $125.00 to see a series of 15 concerts live on The free clips play fine, youtube etc play fine. But, when I enter my password and click on watch a show. I get a black screen, loading, connected, but no sound or video. It worked for 2 wks and then quit. The moogis people had folks all over the country trying to find a answer. Its very obviously Hughesnet. I have emailed and talked to their staff. I would like at least to try a replacement modem. They dont respond with any kind of help.

I bought music on and I cant download my music either. says exceeded download limit. no, i dont use alot of bandwidth. wouldnt let me download even one single song.

And there is a radio station feed. Black screen there too. We have 3 pcs running vista, 1 xp. only one pc is usually online at a time.
none will connect to any of the sites properly. We removed the wireless netgear router and hooked the ethernet directly into the laptop. still no feeds or downloads.

I removed flash with the adobe removal tool, reinstalled version 10. I removed/virus/adware/turnedoff firewall. still nothing.

I even went so far as too reload vista. my neighbor has a aircard and it works fine. Im stuck with a 2 yr contract with hughes and cant afford a 2 yr contract card and hughesnet.

All of our computers are pretty new, the slowest one being 1 gb and the fastest being 3gb. with 2 gb memory.

I adjusted lan settings according to hughesnet...didnt work. cleared cach etc out. even loaded foxfire..still nothing.

I am paying exactly 4 times more for hughesnet than i did for att dsl which was more dependable and never had a problem viewing anything.

I have read online people with hughes not even being able to see ebay pages. there are fixes out there, gotta be. I know because of the bandwidth usage i will have to view the concerts in the middle of the night which is fine..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help? Hughesnet, do they block sites? How to fix it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help? Hughesnet, do they block sites? How to fix it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may have a case . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 12, 2009 8:00 PM PDT

of breach of promise. If HughsNet will not provide what you're paying for, it sounds like you can sue. How high in their chain of command have you gone? If it was me I'd be kicking and screaming all the way to the top, not satisfied with the first line phone answer. Demand to speak to someone in authority. Quit paying the bill. When they threaten, show them the trouble you've had. I'll guarantee if you go high enough you can either get it fixed or get out of the contract.

Collapse -
Yes, blocked accounts and frequently used web pages
by lshogan1961 / June 6, 2013 1:30 AM PDT

I also live way out in the country and hughesnet was my only option for ISP. I was very disappointed in the basic service so I upgraded to Gen4 when it became available. The installer took the old receiver when he installed the new one. After 3 months I found out I was being billed for two accounts (auto deduction), the original and a new account for the Gen4 service. I spent long hold times on the phone to get the first account cancelled and was given a refund for the double billing on the first account. It didn't take long to realize that I was paying much more for the Gen4 account but it provided basically same service so I called and cancelled the account, returned the gen4 receiver in the box they provided with the shipping label they provided. After speaking with several representatives I was able to get the cancellation fees completely waived and was told I would not owe anything. Then I got a bill for the cost of BOTH receivers which they claim they never received. After several more calls, and very long hold times (min 1.5 hours each time), and suggesting they track the shipping numbers they initiated to find the second receiver, I was assured that I would not be billed again.
A month later I received another bill for the cost of both receivers and cancellation fees for both accounts. I called again, was disconnected after a long hold time, waiting for the representative to "review" my accounts. I called back, and again had long hold times, but eventually was assured there would be not more bills.
Now, being that I still had no internet service out in the country, my husband decided to open a new hughesnet account in his name. They came out and installed the new receiver, and changed out the router and now I am not able to access my yahoo account, or two online accounts that I use frequently. I have been attempting for two weeks, thinking it was a problem with the one computer we had in the house, but to no avail am I able to access these accounts. My husband is still able to access his yahoo email account but when I try mine I get a white screen that does not allow me access to my email. The other two web accounts allow me to sign in (I can see my user name listed as logged in, but I cannot access my accounts and it takes me back to the main screen where the login button does not show me logged in, nor can I use any functionality. I even bought a new computer hoping that I could access them from a virgin computer but run into the same problems. I set my husband up an account on both of the two accounts I cannot access, but it will not allow his logins to work either. I have had my sister, who lives in another state and uses a different ISP log into my accounts with no problem. It seems Hughesnet has somehow blocked access to these two sites that I used most frequently. They are not sites that are used as commonly such as Ebay, Paypal, Facebook, etc., but rather accounts that are used by the artist community, and, both of which I used frequently on my previous hughesnet account. Since I have attempted to change settings on my husbands computer to accept cookies, etc., and since I am now using a brand new computer and still having the same problems, the only possibility is that Hughesnet has somehow blacklisted the artist accounts that I used most frequently. UGH!!! The frustration of it! The only option seems to be to ditch Hughesnet again and get an attorney involved. I am posting this in the hopes that someone has a suggestion, or at least to keep someone else from bothering with this ISP, as they are most unreliable and not worth the time, effort or money you will spend.

Collapse -
Same boat
by Wasjustthinking / July 13, 2015 11:17 AM PDT

I have Hughesnet with the same problem, installed in December 2014. Service itself is intermittent besides being unable to complete simple downloads and updates.

You can call all you like, email screenshots, and have technicians come to your house (my dish is even installed facing a roofline) and they will argue for hours, telling you it's your computers (I have a new PC & govt. laptop)., stating their testing shows all is fine, and if I don't like my speed which is comparable to dial up then they will discount my early termination fee by 50%.

The first couple of times I called they were so abusive I now record all conversations with them. It took 1hr 22 minutes to get a service call scheduled two weeks ago. The technician came out today, states all is within specs.

So here I sit with dial up speed, unable to download, and paying 64.00/month as a Kansas resident. Good luck and let me know if you have any success.

*my last resort is to try and research the manufacturer and send them pictures of the dish facing the roof. But just as their scripting is well staged, so is the cloak around results when I run online searches for who makes the dish.

Note: Email address removed by moderator.

Collapse -
I'd not ask them about Windows Update issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2015 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Same boat

Look at

Many of those were optional and for some, not to be considered or trifled with. Those do fail for many and has nothing to do with the internet feed or connection.

I know you're upset but asking them to support updates only muddies the waters.

-> There is some issue with response time on satellite versus "speed." I find that the time after I click is glacial compared to DSL, Cable, Cellular and WISP. But once it gets going is on par with DSL or better. That DELAY is never going away. No tech today can alter the laws of physics.

I can't tell where you are or if cellular is an answer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.