Windows Vista forum

Question

HELP! how to delete a search engine,

by Sue15197 / September 24, 2011 9:26 AM PDT

I have tried every tool possible to get rid of My Play City search. I've downloaded Spybot, didn't touch it. IObit, that didn't find it either although its a brilliant tool.
I've checked microsoft help pages, EHow, loads more too,and did what it told me to do, and the flipping thing is still there.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! how to delete a search engine,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! how to delete a search engine,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is this a browser toolbar?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 25, 2011 4:17 AM PDT

Is this a toolbar in your browser? if so, which browser?

Disable the browser toolbar first, usually View > Toolbars, or Tools > Add-ons, whichever browser you use. Close the browser down.

Then head over to Control Panel > Programs & Features, find this toolbar in the list, then uninstall it.

Then update your anti-virus and run a full scan.

Finally download and install the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Install that, run it to update it's definitions, then run a full scan.

Restart the computer and check to see if the toolbar has gone.

Just a couple of notes. We rarely recommend Spybot nowadays as it often conflicts with today's anti-virus scanners. Also, we never recommend IOBit.

Mark

Collapse -
PlayCity/Freecause
by Sue15197 / September 25, 2011 6:15 AM PDT

Thanks, but I have done all that and more. It's not showing in the programmes at all nor Add ons either. It's on behalf of Yahoo which is odd as I don't use it. Think it came down with a game that someone downloaded, but Spybot nor IObit will shift it either.
Have tried various search/browser bar removers and none seem to even find it, but every blinking time I do search for something there is blood is!!!

Collapse -
Strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 25, 2011 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: PlayCity/Freecause

So Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware failed to clear it as well?

Yo don't say which browser this is. What add-ons do you have installed and what search providers does this browser have as options?

There are plenty of discussions here in these forums about IOBit and an example is this one;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-508561.html

We see all too many posts where users have used IOBit or other registry cleaners or 'optimizers', and have asked for help because they have caused problems.

Mark

Collapse -
Freecause/Playcity browser
by Sue15197 / October 13, 2011 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange

Hi Mark,
Sorry for lateness of reply.
I use Mozilla Firefox, I have been trying unsuccessfully to remove this Freecause/PlayCity browser for some time now. I have gone to the search engine bar all I have there are Google, Google desktop and Whaleslide (a new search engine done by my nephew).
Thinking of pulling hair out now lol
Sue

Collapse -
Browsr removal
by Sue15197 / September 25, 2011 6:16 AM PDT

Hi Mark,
What is wrong with IObit please?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.