Laptops

General discussion

Help! How do I restore my internet connection if deleted?

by sweetchardonnay / October 13, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

I recently was trying to clean up some space on my labtop, by deleteing unused and or needed programs, so I could watch videos on the internet they weren't working, buffering all the time, however i think i deleted the wrong thing because now i can not get on to the internet on my labtop. Every time i try clicking on the internet explorer I get an error telling me path is not found. what can i do to restore my connection? Also I cleaned out the recycle bin. Is the formation still there and can I find it or did I totally mess things up? I also tryed the system restore and that does not work either, it also gives me error messages as well. Do I need to take it to a technition? I am such an idot.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! How do I restore my internet connection if deleted?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! How do I restore my internet connection if deleted?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try running the Network Setup Wizard.
by Coryphaeus / October 14, 2008 12:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
System Restore
by Renegade Knight / October 14, 2008 2:04 AM PDT

Use System Restore to go back to the point when it was working.

Collapse -
System Restore is not working!
by sweetchardonnay / October 16, 2008 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: System Restore

I have a Toshinba labtop and I have been trying to do system restore because I accidently deleted the service pack in windows i think however I have went to both microsoft and toshiba's websites to try system restore troubleshooting methods and nothing is working I have tried running it in safe mode and all and I still cannot get on to the internet thus far it is not restoring this is the error message that I get "The procedure entry point Is CharspaceA could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll." the other error message is "The procedure entry point SHRegetvalueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll Entry point not found" there are about 2 more messages about the same as these that pop up after trying to run system restore.What can you tell from these error messages? Please help!!! How can i restore my labtop to it's original configuration prior to my stupidity. Or do I have to take it to see a doctor.

Collapse -
Sweets
by SoftGuitar777 / October 16, 2008 6:05 AM PDT

You migth try using the original set up disk your ISP provided youand it might do the trick for you. Just set it in the CD tray and let it set you up. I will construct a connection for you if one is not already there. It dose not always work but many times it does. It is difficult to see since i do not have your computer here in front of me, but I am guessing that is all it should take ...if not then you might have to go to "Internet Connnetions" and set up a home network or use and ADSL connection with the wizard can do nearly automatically for you. You did not say if you have Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Jesse Jr.

Collapse -
System Restore
by sweetchardonnay / October 16, 2008 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Sweets

I am running windows xp professional and i bought i labtop used i do not have a disk and i can not find the internet connections tab i disappeared after it went down HELP!

Collapse -
Sweetie
by SoftGuitar777 / October 16, 2008 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: System Restore

Here are some steps to get you there:

Start/Connect to/Show all connections

Up will come: "Network Connections"
in left panel choose: "create a new connection"

Up will come: "Welcome to the New Connections Wizard"
THEN choose Either of two options

1) connect to the internet
Then choose from a list of internet service providers
like msn
or "refer to more internet service providers"
From there you can choose one if you want to buy their
services

2) Set Up my Connection Manually
Then connect using broadband connection
Then type in the name of your ISP and it will give you
name for your connection....

I could not take the next steps as they would mess up
my own connection....but at least I have got you this far
Sweetie. Option # 2 might be the better of the two...
If you can not do it manually then yuo might have to
choose option # 1

Best of luck sweetie...hope it works..if not you might
have to have someone come set it up for you at home.

Jesse Jr.

Collapse -
how do I restore my internet connection if deleted?
by goodybicep / January 2, 2011 9:37 AM PST

I recently was trying to clean up some space on my disktop, by deleting unused and or needed programs, so i could watch videos on the internet they weren't working, buffering all the time, however i think i deleted the wrong thing because now i can not get on to the internet on my disktop. Everytime i try clicking on the internet explorer i get an error telling e path is not found. what can i do to restore my connection? Also I cleaned out the recycle bin. Is the formation still there and can I find it or did I totally mess things up? I also tryed the system restore and that does not work either, it also gives me error messages as well. Do I need to take it to technician?

Collapse -
That might be just a SHORTCUT issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 9:43 AM PST

You didn't tell what Windows OS was in use but if you can click start, run, enter this and report what happens.

IEXPLORE

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.