TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Help hooking up cable box with DVD Home theater system & TV

by Caligurly / May 30, 2013 10:14 AM PDT

I have an Emerson TV, a Comcast (non-HD) digital cable box & an Naxa DVD Home theater system. My first problem is I can't get ANY sound out of the home theater system through regular TV. I tried to insert disc and I keep getting disc error (tried 3 that play in an old player fine) (oh and the home theater is BRAND NEW) Now the TV has HDMI connectors but the theater system does not. The Naxa is strange for the reason all the speakers plug into the sub and then component cables connect it to... whatever!! My main question is: Shouldn't I be able to hook the darn thing up to get surround sound through whatever the TV is playing? All I have for cables are HDMI, Red, white, yellow & red & yellows, and the coax cable coming from the wall to cable box and them to TV. HELP! Please.....

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help hooking up cable box with DVD Home theater system & TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help hooking up cable box with DVD Home theater system & TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
*Which* Naxa & which Emerson do you have?
by Pepe7 / May 30, 2013 12:14 PM PDT

All model numbers please so can be 110% certain which ports/connections you have available to you on your system. Otherwise, what I recommend might only apply to different TVs/HT systems, etc. Thanks.

Is it by chance one of the old Comcast Pace SD DVR boxes? If so, I am familiar with it. We still have one in a guest room at home.

Collapse -
Models
by Caligurly / May 30, 2013 12:58 PM PDT

Well the Comcast isn't even a DVR. Not available where I am. The Emerson is LC320EMX, Nava is ND-855, and the Cable box is Motorola (OLD SCHOOL). LOL
Your help is so greatly appreciated. Wink

Collapse -
What connections are in back of your Moto box?
by Pepe7 / May 30, 2013 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Models

Are there only red/white/yellow & coaxial cable (75 ohms), or are there others on the Moto?

I took a peek at the Naxa manual online. That system is definitely on the odd side. It appears as though it doesn't even ship with the 5.1 cables you may need to run from the DVD/CD player unit to the rogue subwoofer unit w/ inputs as such. See link here, and look at p.12:

http://www.naxa.com/supportcenter/downloads/downloadFile/id/424

If I have your system correct, and want to use surround from the DVD player, and 2.0 stereo sound from the cable box, you should be able to at the very least hook it up as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Moto box (yellow video out) --> (yellow video in) Emerson
OR
Moto box (*S-Video out) --> (*S-Video in) Emerson
*preferred connection type of these three options

(notes: Using your current RF connection bypasses sound that should go to the Naxa surround unit)
--------------------------------------------------------
AND

Moto box (red/white out) --> (red/white TV in) Naxa subwoofer module
Naxa DVD unit (**5.1 multichannel audio cables out) -->(5.1 multichannel audio cables in) Naxa subwoofer module
**not supplied- this is what you need (example)-
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/6channel/index.htm
somewhat cheaper here:
<div>

http://www.amazon.com/ATLONA-6-CHANNEL-MULTI-CHANNEL-AUDIO/dp/B000M8O060</div>
Naxa DVD unit (component video RGB out) --> (component video RGB in) Emerson

With these connections you will have to use the switch in back of the Naxa sub unit to change sound from TV (stereo) to DVD (5.1 surround). This would all be easier if you bought a more traditional system(!) Wink
In all reality, I don't know what you paid for it but for a little more the headaches would go away.

Regarding certain discs that will not play, this is not at all uncommon for discounted brands such as this one unfortunately. Hook up a secondary DVD player or use a PC to play back such content, and connect to your TV via HDMI. You would lose surround though.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
hellp hooking up cable box
by pmladek / May 30, 2013 10:40 AM PDT

I think what you want to do is possible but it is hard for me to help without actually being in front of the components. I would first suggest that since you are using a cable box is make sure your yellow, red and white are connected to the output of your cable box. Some cable boxes have RCA jacks for inputs and outputs. Double checks your connections to make sure they are all seated and good. Good luck.

Collapse -
Understandable
by Caligurly / May 30, 2013 12:59 PM PDT

I totally understand. Thank you. Wink

Collapse -
Answer
Very common problem
by mjd420nova / June 1, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

This has become a nightmare for those with pre-eisting home theater systems that are analog and have delayed getting a new A/V unit to come up to the newer HDMI standard. Mixing analog/composite signals from the cable box (does it have an HDMI jack?) and inputting into both an analog amplifier and the TV too. Conversion can be expensive and often doesn't pass along all the decode info for the different formats. Pay close attention to any optical connections as they offer all the decoding and are more full spectrum and may be pressent on some older A/V units. This would provide the audio without a sync problem with converters.

Collapse -
Answer
I get lost in all these posts, but here's what works for me
by wpgwpg / June 1, 2013 12:40 PM PDT

I have an LG HDTV with a optical digital output for sound and an older external analog speaker system which uses RCA plugs for input. It sounds like your setup may be different from mine, but in case it's similar, here's what I use to convert the digital audio to analog for my speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2-AA-Digital-Audio-Decoder/dp/B0021QBIBQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370140257&sr=1-2&keywords=gefen .
It's a Gefen box with input from the TV and two RCA plug outputs for the speakers. It's expensive, but it has been working flawlessly for me for the last 2.5 years.
By the way I tried using the audio output from the cable box using RCA plugs. It gets the sound to the speakers, but totally out of sync with the video on the TV, so I had to use the only audio output from the TV which was the optical digital one.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
But this doesn't apply to the OP's situation
by Pepe7 / June 2, 2013 11:23 AM PDT

It's somewhat akin to saying, "I don't own a lawnmower, but I do own a Chevy Sedan. Let me tell you how to fix that anyway ;)"

cheers

Collapse -
Answer
The short answer is...
by Oldartq / June 2, 2013 4:24 PM PDT

sorry, you are out of luck. It seems the Naxa is designed more for karaoke than home theater. This thing has lots of output connections ... but no INPUT connection (strange design to say the less).

Collapse -
He's NOT SOL ;)
by Pepe7 / June 3, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: The short answer is...

While the DVD player module clearly lacks inputs, the subwoofer module OTOH does accept ample inputs, based on what he needs to achieve. Take a quick peek at the online manual I posted above in the thread.

cheers

Collapse -
The only possible connection that I see is...
by Oldartq / June 3, 2013 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: He's NOT SOL ;)

the composite input connection on the dvd. Since the Emerson does have a coaxial audio output so maybe with an adapter/converter then OP can use that. Don't know what kind of quality you can get out of that...is it worth it?

Collapse -
You missed part of the connections, amigo
by Pepe7 / June 4, 2013 1:25 AM PDT

The OP has a cable box, hence, it's not necessary to utilize any sort of audio output from the Emerson back to the Naxa equipment. See my schematics above.

cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.