TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help! Home Security Camera!

by doneill220 / April 8, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

Let me tell you how much time I have spent on researching and trying different cameras! I like to do this stuff on my own, but it has been months and I need help.

Basically what I am looking for is a home security camera with the below features:
1) Wireless (uses my wireless network)
2) Motion Detection
3) E-Mail alerts (with a pic/vid)
4) Stand Alone (no computer / no master system)

I've purchased and returned the following three models:

Cam1) Linksys - Wireless-N Internet Home Monitoring Camera. $139.99. This camera used my Wireless network, great! There was motion detection, great! It was stand-alone, great!
However, the email alerts did not work... the software did not support SSL and thus it could not send out emails (GMail account). Remote access was not available using a mobile device, but was available via another computer. No way to view the motion detected pics/video.

Cam2)Logitech Alert? - 700i Indoor Add-On Camera. #229.99. This camera did NOT use my Wireless network, instead it required plugging in a book-sized A/C adapter next to the router (not into a surge suppressor) and run a wire to the router. This was the "Master System" approach. Then plug in another book-sized A/C adapter next to the camera. The email alerts worked, however it was straight TEXT, no picture or video could be viewed. It was possible to purchase a subscription to view the recorded video. This camera did have a mobile app to view live video (used my droid), great! But again, no possible way to view the video/picture recorded by the motion detected!

Cam3) D-Link - SecuriCam Ethernet Network Camera. $349.99. This camera seemed close to the best one yet. It had motion detection, great! It could send email alerts, great! However, it was not wireless... There used to be wireless models but are no longer available.

The 3rd camera had great promise as it was a "Stand Alone" camera, and did not require a "Master System" but the camera needs to be wireless.

I've done tons of research, and tried 3 cameras (I do not think Best Buy will let me back in the store after returning so many products!!). Can anyone please please help?

Thank you in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Home Security Camera!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Home Security Camera!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2011 8:07 AM PDT

It all was fine till item 4. Without that, the cameras should become very expensive.

But there are ways to convert a wired to a wireless connection. And I think what stops folk is that most never want to become a master of IP addressing and networking.

Sorry, nothing I've seen hits all your points for the prices you mentioned.

-> If you ever get back to the PC host, consider what I used for mine. I used a (simple?) Emachines e250-1152. When the screen turns off the power draw hits about 5 Watts.

Collapse -
Tough one, right?!
by doneill220 / April 8, 2011 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly.

Yep! Tough one!!
Cam1 & Cam3 both were Stand-Alone cameras, but as described above they each had their own challenge. The wireless version of Cam3 would be perfect if I can find one for sale somewhere not shady. It's advertised as "Stand-alone device with built-in CPU and Web Server" which is perfect. Trying to avoid having to keep a computer running & sucking up energy when a camera can be on for just a fraction of the energy.

Know any other models that fit? Or where to pick up a wireless version of Cam3?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2011 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Tough one, right?!

But is 5 Watts unacceptable? I'm thinking you are thinking of your common 100+ Watt desktop.

As to Cam3, why didn't you get a wifi bridge for it?

Collapse -
Yes & No
by doneill220 / April 9, 2011 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

What runs on 5 watts which you are referring to?

The desktop I'm running is well over 100 Watts.

This is exactly why I posted up for help! Please elaborate on the wifi bridge

Collapse -
I noted it in my first reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes & No

As to the wifi bridge, it can turn an hardwire only device into a wifi thing.

Collapse -
Different Approach?
by WildClay / April 12, 2011 12:25 AM PDT

You might take a look at X10 camera's, not exactly what you are looking for in WiFi but I think meets all other criteria.

I have x10 camera's with motion detectors and a USB stick video recorder that the cam controller plugs into. This records only when the motion is tripped.

I use the X10 USB interface to the computer for more advanced control, but the computer is not required for them to operate, everything is wireless (except power), and I can, through the computer, manage, watch, and control the cams remotely, there is even an iPhone app for it.

I use mine in my home security system, 6 camera's on motion triggers and the video recorder. As it was for security I did only needed a picture good enough to "see" the person, so I am not sure of x10 cams will meet your quality requirements.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
here's one for you
by dannyiwatchlife / May 4, 2011 4:24 AM PDT

full disclosure, I work for iWatchLife.

Collapse -
Re: Audit trail field
by swilson317 / May 13, 2011 6:17 AM PDT

Check out Sharx Security at They used to have cameras available through Amazon and were receiving positive reviews. I have two outdoor cameras that I have installed. I'm impressed with their cameras based on:

1) Feature/price point.
2) Software included
3) They work well.

Both of my cameras are on my wireless network. I can access them from the Internet and from my BlackBerry. They have motion sensing, but I chose to install a larger SD card and leave them recording continuously.

Collapse -
Shark SCN3605
by alwilliams6 / August 2, 2011 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Audit trail field

I've also done a lot of research and finally ordered one this morning. I bought SCN3605. It sounds like it has all the features you are looking for and it has great reviews on Amazon. Check it out. I will let you know how it works out for me.

Collapse -
by katlakytja / November 10, 2013 11:30 PM PST

The cheapest alternative would be an app "Homealert" on google play. It's basically just a small app that you run on your android - detects movement and automatically sends you photos/videos/emails/SMS etc over wifi...i like the fact you don't need any kind of additional hardware...just an old phone you might have lying around Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.