Computer Help

Resolved Question

Help! Have I been scammed by shop who built my new computer?

by Vanillaman / November 4, 2012 9:17 PM PST

I have just paid £360 for an computer upgrade. When I explained what I wanted, they suggested these specifications, which is what I have paid for. However, I am not technically savvy, so I don't know whether I've been conned or not. I would be extremely grateful if someone could look over the information for me and confirm whether or not I have been scammed? This first list is copied from their own handwriting, so there may be some slight errors. The specs I purchased, as recommended are:

AM3+ 9700E3 (or First suggestion: Aspect FM1, ASSM-HUS motherboard)
Dual Core Processor
8Gb RAM
1Tb Hard drive
610 GT Graphics card

These are the actual specs according to my system information:

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 Processor 6.9 4.6
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.4
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 4.6
Gaming graphics 4096 MB Total available graphics memory 6.4
Primary hard disk 826GB Free (931GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 3

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 1863 GB
Disk partition (C:) 826 GB Free (931 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (E:) 603 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Total available graphics memory 4096 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3072 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.697
Primary monitor resolution 1360x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.
Caution: Based on the results of the WinSAT Disk assessment, your system drive may have slower response times under some workloads. Performance results will depend on the specific applications used and the amount of memory available. If your experience is satisfactory, no action is needed.

Vanillaman has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Have I been scammed by shop who built my new computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Have I been scammed by shop who built my new computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is it possible that they falsified the specs?
by Vanillaman / November 16, 2012 4:20 AM PST

The reason why I ask is because I still get problems with pages loading in my 2 browsers, the latest Firefox and IE9. Tabs are still buffering, sometimes for considerable time, as well as YouTube videos??

Collapse -
Such usually has little to do with the hardware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 5:03 AM PST

It's usually about your connection or a badly installed OS. Nothing in this entire discussion tells me they didn't give you less than you asked for.

Collapse -
Buffering etc.
by pgc3 / November 16, 2012 5:32 AM PST

I agree with Mr. Proffitt, this sounds like a hook up issue, bandwidth, etc. unlikely the computer hardware.

Collapse -
Bandwidth, connection. Any suggestions?
by Vanillaman / November 16, 2012 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Buffering etc.

You guys have been a great help, and I truly appreciate it. I have tried speed tests, and they are fine. The exchange for my broadband connection is nearby. And, if the specs, according to my system info cannot be faked, what should I do?

Collapse -
There's a lot of extraneous stuff in this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 10:34 AM PST

If I was to start looking deeply into the issue of buffering and such, this is not where I'd hold that discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
Extraneous??
by Vanillaman / November 16, 2012 9:42 PM PST

I can appreciate that. However, I am trying to find out if I have been scammed by falsifying the spec on my system info, since my computer does NOT function as it should. With respect, so far, nobody has addressed this particular element.

Collapse -
It has actually
by Jimmy Greystone / November 17, 2012 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Extraneous??

It has actually, but it seems you didn't like that answer, so you're going to keep asking until someone tells you that the place did indeed scam you, when it seems pretty clear they did not. They delivered what you agreed to and even a little more. Don't go blaming them if you have a crap ISP and/or allowed your system to be overrun with malware. If your ISP is crap, blame the ISP, and if you allowed your system to be overrun with malware, blame yourself.

Based on the information you have supplied thus far, there is absolutely no evidence that the computer shop did anything but slightly exceed the agreed upon specs. If anything, you should be heaping praise upon them, telling everyone you meet about this rare thing you found in an honest small-time computer shop.

Collapse -
Kindly keep your nasty, negative attitude to yourself please
by Vanillaman / November 17, 2012 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: It has actually

You don't know me, to go judging and making assumptions. If you really want to troll, go annoy someone else.

Collapse -
I think the shop gave you more than you asked for.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Extraneous??

And the discussion we need to have is about the slow internet and such. If you want folk to agree with you about getting scammed, that's going to be up to folk to do that.

If you want to tackle the OS and internet issues, this discussion has too many posts and would upset you as you try to figure out what answer is addressing what question.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Point taken
by Vanillaman / November 17, 2012 9:53 AM PST
Collapse -
"Want folk to agree with you about getting scammed?"
by Vanillaman / November 17, 2012 8:51 PM PST

Look. I simply asked to elaborate, as offered. I asked if it were possible to fake the specs information. I have my reasons. What's with the attitude and vicious assumptions? "Want folk to agree with you about getting scammed?" What kind of unprovoked nonsense is that?

Collapse -
Is it possible
by Jimmy Greystone / November 17, 2012 10:33 PM PST

Is it possible? Yes. Is it something the average computer shop would be capable of pulling off? Not likely. If you're really that concerned, take the unit to another computer shop and pay them to take it apart in front of you. Once they clean off the thermal grease from the CPU, you should be able to read with your own eyes what is etched onto the heat spreader. Take a photo of it if you like, then you can plug the info you find into Google and see what comes up.

My main concern, given how much you paid, would be that they slapped on some pirated software. If a shop were likely to be cutting corners, that's the most likely place they'd do it. I once saw someone on ebay selling a computer for around $700 (400-500 quid give or take). Now the hardware alone was worth more or less that much, but the kicker was that it came loaded with Adobe Creative Suite 5.5. Granted that is a version or two old, but we're still talking about software that would retail for around 2,000 quid new. It also came with, IIRC, Windows 7 Ultimate, and I think you get the general picture. The hardware was probably exactly as the person said it was, but the software bundled with it... There's just no way they could be doing anything other than losing money hand over fist selling at that price.

If you think the place scammed you, I'd check the software they may have installed, not the hardware.

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you so much
by Vanillaman / November 17, 2012 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Is it possible

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Vanillaman

Collapse -
Sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / November 4, 2012 9:59 PM PST

Sounds like they delivered on what you asked for. You have a tri-core CPU instead of dual, 8GB of RAM, almost looks like 2x1TB HDDs though that report is kind of unclear on that point, and they gave you exactly the card you requested.

So why do you think that the place was trying to scam you in some way? Granted I don't know exactly what current exchange rates are, but assuming 360 quid is roughly $500 and prices are largely the same for components on either side of the pond: It's not out of the question they could have put a system together for that kind of money, especially if they're using OEM copies of Windows. I doubt they would have made a whole lot of money off of building that system for you, but that's their problem. The one thing you may want to do, is find the Windows product key, and then call Microsoft's activation hotline to verify that you have a valid key for an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. That is where most small shops cut corners, is installing pirated software. If it checks out, then feel free to recommend that shop to everyone you know, because honest small computer businesses need all the good word of mouth they can get.

Collapse -
Answer
Computer build
by pgc3 / November 5, 2012 7:35 AM PST

I agree with prior poster, doesn't sound bad at all, sounds as if the did just fine by you, I'd say that you did NOT get scammed.

Collapse -
Answer
Like Jimmy said ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2012 10:23 AM PST

Looks like they gave you more than your initial specs:

Tri-core instead of dual core and TWO 1 terabyte drives per this info you offered or a single TWO TB drive partitioned into two equal partitions:
Total size of hard disk(s) 1863 GB
Disk partition (C:) 826 GB Free (931 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (E:) 603 GB Free (932 GB Total)

You obviously didn't tell them you wanted a gaming computer as the GeForce GT 610 is pretty much a rock bottom game card (really just a re-badged GT 520 card initially designed for the OEM builder)

As a helpful hint, you should do the research and questions BEFORE committing to a purchase rather than after the fact.

Collapse -
Additional info.
by Vanillaman / November 5, 2012 4:38 PM PST
In reply to: Like Jimmy said ...

I'm sorry. Perhaps I should have elaborated. This spec below is what they recommended and I agreed to, as I told them that I was a web builder, a musician and wanted something for graphics and video editing on Adobe Premiere. The longer specs, listed previously is what I got, according to the system info. The additional Terabyte is from my external hard drive. They have installed NVIDIA. I hope this helps clarify things?

RECOMMENDED BY SHOP:

AM3+ 9700E3 (or First suggestion: Aspect FM1, ASSM-HUS motherboard)
Dual Core Processor
8Gb RAM
1Tb Hard drive
610 GT Graphics card

Collapse -
Seems they gave you better than what you asked for.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Additional info.

Can you be more specific about what is bothering you?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.