TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

help getting 5.1 sorround for new samsung

by exoraa / August 12, 2009 2:32 AM PDT

i jut purchased a pn58a550 along with a 3600 blue ray. i currently have a comcast hd motorola cable box and a yamaha htr-5560 av receiver. i have two hdmi cables one from blue ray to tv and cable box to tv. i also had a optical wire from receiver to tv but am pretty sure it only provides 2 channel sound. how in the heck do i get 5.1 sorround. i tried optical to receiver but no sound and when i hooked optical to cable box there was what i think was 5.1 but when I tried to play blue ray no sound. maybe i can't get 5.1. any help will be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help getting 5.1 sorround for new samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help getting 5.1 sorround for new samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
possible solution
by Pepe7 / August 12, 2009 7:17 AM PDT

I'm assuming you have surround sound speakers w/ a sub connected to the Yamaha? If so, you could use the following connections to get the ball rolling on 5.1, as well as the better lossless audio codecs from your fave blue ray titles.

Moto box (HDMI out) -> (HDMI in) pn58a550
Moto box (digital optical out) -> (digital optical in) Yamaha rec.

3600 blu ray (multi channel out) -> (multi channel in) Yamaha
"" "" (HDMI out) -> (HMDI in) pn58a550

Let us know if it works. Enjoy!

-Pedro

Collapse -
explain
by exoraa / August 12, 2009 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: possible solution

Pedro,

can you explain the 3600 (multi media)->(multi channel in) what is that? apologize for not being very tech savy.

you are correct with the speakers and sub.

Collapse -
look in back
by Pepe7 / August 12, 2009 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: explain

You should see a set of six outputs that you can connect with composite cables. In the manual for the blu ray player there is a graphic of the rear of the unit and all the ports. Let me know if that doesn't make sense. The multi channel outputs is intended for someone with an older receiver (such as yourself) that doesn't do the lossless decoding. The BD player does it and passes the necessary info along to the receiver in analog format and not via HDMI, which is digital.

Let me know if you still need assistance.

best,
P

Collapse -
help 5.1 surround
by exoraa / August 13, 2009 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: look in back

P-
thank you for the help. i believe i have it figured out with the audio cables. one more question, since there is a digtal audio optical coming out of the blue ray, could i run a optical from blue ray to the dvd optical behind receiver, which is right below d-tv/cbl optical and get the same effect? is there any advantages?

thanks for making this a positve learning experience.

Collapse -
Can you re-phrase in greater detail?
by Pepe7 / August 13, 2009 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: help 5.1 surround

Thanks

Collapse -
5.1 surround
by exoraa / August 13, 2009 1:12 AM PDT

P-

let's see. first i did follow your instructions regarding the 6 outputs behind the blue ray. let me see if i am correct.....AV out behind blue ray i used red and white audio cables to AV in audio behind receiver.

second, while i was doing the above mentioned i noticed a digital audio out(optical) behind blue ray. what if i ran a optical wire from blue ray to the back of receiver, which has a dvd optical port. this port is under the optical d-tv/cbl on the receiver.

i have a optical from d-tv/cbl->cable box right now. basically i would have two digital audio optical wires. one from d-tv/cbl->cable box and a digital audio(optical) behind blue ray-> dvd(optical)behind receiver.

Collapse -
No red and white ;)
by Pepe7 / August 13, 2009 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: 5.1 surround

That's strictly for normal stereo/analog, not multi-channel analog output (PCM) sound. The red/white is the 'old' connection you used on your VCR, etc. What you are doing now is using six outputs total from the BD player to the receiver; six in total to cover the following: front right, center, front left, left rear, right rear, sub. This is provided I have the correct BD player in mind ;).

What I still don't understand is your d-tv/cbl notation(?) What does this mean? Stick to my 'recipe' above and you should be OK.

Here are some links to the online manuals so you can better see what I mean about the connections.

Look at p.18 of 96
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200904/20090430181628843/01791F-BD-P3600-XAA-ENG-NEW-0427-BM.pdf

In the above diagram, #6 on the back panel illustration depicts the 8 connections for 7.1 sound (7 + 1 sub). Since your receiver only does 6.1 (6 + 1 sub), you would be using only 6 out of the 8, since you don't have the two extra back surrounds. Leave the 2 ports on the right unused (labeled rear surround).

Here's the online manual for your receiver so you can see where the six get connected:

look on p.17 & 22
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/PDFs/Manuals/HTR5560_e.pdf

Your receiver can't decode lossless codecs but the blu ray player can. The blu ray player handles the decoding and sends it along in a way so the receiver can send it to the speakers. They only way it can do this is via the six multi channel inputs in back of the Yamaha.

Let me know if you still need help.

-P

Collapse -
5.1 surround
by exoraa / August 13, 2009 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: No red and white ;)

P-

you are good.....you do this for a living or am i just that non educated in wires and more wires. i am learning though and appreciate the help. okay, the 6 outputs for multi-channel, is this one cord/wire with all the connections on each end of the wire or are they all seperate. basically is there any specific cable i should use? the optical(d-tv/cbl)? i talked to a samsung rep. who said to hook up a digital optical cable from cable box to receiver. the d-tv/cbl is the label on back of the receiver that the optical went into.

Collapse -
Gracias
by Pepe7 / August 13, 2009 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: 5.1 surround

I'm just an enthusiast, fortunately. If they paid me I'd quickly lose interest ;).

Here's an example from my fave online site for cables, bluejeanscable-
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/6channel/index.htm

Check out monoprice.com as well. I've seen cheaper ones @ Amazon in the 3 ft range though.

You are spot on about using the digital optical cable from the cable box to the receiver.

-Pedro

Collapse -
staying power
by exoraa / August 13, 2009 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Gracias

well thank you for your patience, it's hard to find good help these days. i am heading to my nearest electronic store to get me some of these cables so i can finally enjoy some 5.1 sound.

can i ask you what type of tv or hometheatre you have?

Collapse -
Online will likely be cheaper
by Pepe7 / August 13, 2009 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: staying power

For example, I even saw 3 footers for $49 shipped on Amazon. YMMV. I guess it depends on how long a run you need (really, 4-6' max?)

Certainly nothing exceptional on my end. Still playing with a Panny 42" PX80U in the family room, Sony DVD changer, Onkyo SR505 and Paradigms for surrounds/sub. No blu ray yet(!) Wink The den setup has an old Sony WEGA, Sony DVD player, Onkyo DS595 & Bose AM-15.

best,
P

Collapse -
thanks
by exoraa / August 18, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

P-

just wanted to say thanks for all the help.

we do have something in common. I saw you have paradigms for your surround. i have the same thing and love them. lets me keep this conversation going about the speakers\sub. it seems my sub. is not powering on. any words of wisdom?

Collapse -
Check your connections again
by Pepe7 / August 18, 2009 7:02 AM PDT

Sorry I can't be of more help w/ the sub. When I get in a pickle I usually head over to AVS and post there as well.

-Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.