Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Help for ALL dial-up users

by MnEmIcRx / September 4, 2006 1:52 AM PDT

Use Advanced Windows Care 2.10.26438 and TZ Connection Booster 2.6 . This is the best 1-2 combination i have come across in 3 years of using dial-up.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help for ALL dial-up users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help for ALL dial-up users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I keep getting kicked off the internet
by philipcarol1 / November 14, 2006 12:25 AM PST

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but hopefully someone will see this and respond.First,I have AOL dial up unlimited. I am running XP S2 home edition. I have had AOL for about 3 years but recently switched service from $17.95 to $9.95 a month[supposedly the same service, just a better price]. I am suspicious of AOL being behind this. I just started noticing this since my switch as I never had this problem before. I can be using software that is installed on my computer and after about 1/2hr I noticed that I am disconnected and have an error window from AOL saying that I was disconnected due to inactivity. This has gone beyond annoying. It also leads me to believe that they have to be monitoring my keystrokes to even know that I have not been "surfing the web" for any amount of time.Isn't there a way to program my computer to NOT allow AOL to kick me off for whatever reason? I will not telephone AOL as most of the time, it is far too long for me and after a long wait and repeated security questions, I am transferred over to someone that does not speak english. Contacting them via the internet is not something I prefer either as the last time I did, they seized my computer and I had to literally cut the power supply to regain control. Guess they thought I was swearing or was it that they were reading my mind? Any suggestions? Short of changing my internet provider?

Collapse -
by jill122 / February 21, 2007 4:07 AM PST

I just went with AOL a couple of months ago and my experience, so far, has been great -- although dialup is very slow!

Call 1-888-265-8008. You should reach an auto-CSR within a couple of rings. Yes! You will have to give information (screen name, password, answer secret question, etc) and finally, you will get an option of speaking with a CSR. Since yours is a technical question, you may have to go through a few people to get there.

But to directly answer what you've asked, I don't get kicked off very often. It happens, but usually it's because I have failed to respond to the buzzer. You will be given a dialogue box (but if you are using IE, then you won't see it) and then a buzzer (if your volume is down, off, non-existent) then of course you won't hear it.

Hope this helps --

Collapse -
by blaqkitty / June 3, 2007 9:53 AM PDT

Oh my goodness philipcarol1 I thought there was something wrong with my computer. I am going through the same exact thing.Has there been a solution for you yet? Wow seems like switching to 9.95 is a scam.

Collapse -
Must be what ISP's do!
by techreader / June 3, 2007 2:32 PM PDT

I started with Netzero for $9.95 a month and I always got disconnected. Then I upgraded to Hi-speed 3G and guess what? No disconnect. I only have 3 hours before my session is up, as before I did get 4 hours when I wasn't disconnected, so it must be that they want you to upgrade which costs more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.