Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

help fixing Run-time error 76 path not found

by stlynge / August 4, 2012 7:24 AM PDT

Hi all, hope someone can help me with this. I was using a product called Folder Vault to secure some private folders and put it in stealth mode which hides all traces of Folder Vault on my computer. To take FV out of stealth you use control-alt-V and it opens up. When I try to take it our of stealth now I keep getting this message: run-time error 76 path not found. Does anyone know what this means or what I have to do to fix it. GearBox Computers who I bought Folder Vault from refuses to reply to my many requests for technical help for their product. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Stl

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help fixing Run-time error 76 path not found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help fixing Run-time error 76 path not found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given what I see so far
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 7:30 AM PDT

Why not uninstall Folder Vault then reinstall it? I don't know this app in any detail but have found such things to be nothing but trouble. Some owners forget to backup their files and lose them over these apps. I can't seem to convey what a bad idea these lockers are.
Bob

Collapse -
unistall of folder vault
by stlynge / August 4, 2012 7:58 AM PDT

Hi R. Proffitt, thank you for your reply. There is an uninstall for for it but unfortunately it runs IN the Folder Vault, and I can't get it open because of the run-time error 76 path not found message, so I can't use the uninstall option. I tried reinstalling it hoping it would fix what ever is missing, but it didn't solve the issue. I wish I had read your post about these types of products before I started using it, sounds like sound advice going forward. If you have any other suggestions that would be great, I'm lost.
Stl

Collapse -
WIthout access to your machine and more story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

It looks like I would have to manually remove such software. But let's read http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103257 first.

Notice how that code failed? I can't guess what code these folder lock folk used but all it shows us is that such a bug may be code and not some setting.

Without looking at the source code of the app I rarely can fix that app. But I can go in and rip out the dang app with tools like REVO UNINSTALLER.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you!
by stlynge / August 5, 2012 2:00 AM PDT

OMG! thank you, thank you, thank you! It worked! I read the thread from the link you provided, reinstalled Folder Vault, but changed the name from Folder Vault to FLVT...AND IT WORKED! Thank you so much for your help Bob, I can't thank you enough.
Stl

Collapse -
Glad it worked. Repeating my advice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you!

Get your files out of that thing to a safe place. These folder lock and vault things are eating folk's files.

Yes I get flamed for writing such but the amount of lost files and near misses mean I have no faith in such software.

Bob

Collapse -
will do!
by stlynge / August 5, 2012 4:18 AM PDT

I am taking your advice, and I already uninstalled Folder Vault and will back everything up on disc or flash drive, unless you recommend a better way. Just so everyone knows, if you do use Folder Vault, Gearbox Computers NEVER responded to one of many emails for assistance with my problem with Folder Vault. Just a warning for you to consider.
scott

Collapse -
There is that other simpler method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: will do!

I can't know why folk do this but if the reason is for multiple users on the same PC the simple (it's not perfect protection) is to "make my files private."

Here's a link -> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=windows+7+make+my+files+private

I won't go into great detail about it but it will lock out the usual users on the same PC issue but not the more determined.

This is one of those areas where a folder lock may work, but as you found out, file loss is possible.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.