MacBooks

Question

HELP! External hard-drive issue

by perindavie / November 15, 2012 4:30 AM PST

Hi everyone,

I was recently trying to transfer some files to another folder, both of which are on my external harddrive.
The files started to not respond, and when I tried to eject the external harddrive it wouldn't eject, just had the 'spinning' symbol. I wasn't able to shut down my computer either, because it said that I had a program running (the transfer of files). I had to manually turn off my computer and then unplug the external.

I restarted my computer and plugged the external back in. Now, when I try to view the file that I was trying to transfer photos to, it appears to open but then just shuts the whole filed down. It has down this multiple times now, and it also happens when I use my boyfriends computer.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to help fix this? Would really hate to lose everything on my external.

Thanks in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! External hard-drive issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! External hard-drive issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: external
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 4:41 AM PST

I'd start with doing a chkdsk on that external drive. That might find (and fix, if you ask that) the error that causes disk.

If, after a succesfull chkdsk, there still are one of more files in one or more folders that have issues, you only lost those.

And, remember, you only lose what you didn't backup. Since an external disk is unreliable, ALWAYS have a backup copy of everything you 'store' on it. Even better, don't 'store' anything on it except to move from one computer to another or as one of your backups.

And also remember, moving a file involves the risk of losing it. Copying a file and only deleting the source if you're sure the target is OK is much safer. This is especially true on removable hard disks and floppies.

Kees

Collapse -
chkdsk
by perindavie / November 15, 2012 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Re: external

Thanks for the reply. Is 'chkdsk' the same as Disk Utility? And can chkdsk be done on a Mac?
I tried that and it found no errors on the external harddrive. I also did Disk Utility on my Mac and it found errors, which I repaired. I then tried to access the files on my external harddrive again but no luck, the file closed again.

Collapse -
Answer
Since this is an Apple OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 4:43 AM PST
Collapse -
PS. NEVER TRUST YOUR LAST COPY TO EXTERNALS!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 4:43 AM PST

"We only lose what we don't backup."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.