Windows Vista

Question

Help. Energy Saving Mode in Vista returns to BSOD?

by Nightstyle / November 6, 2012 1:53 AM PST

Hi.
Recently I feel in need of using Vistas energy saving mode, since it would be a lot faster than shutting down & rebooting every time. So it really sucks if it doesn't work.

I'm using Vista 64 bit Home Premium SP2. My motherboard is a MSI K9A2 CF. I have 4 GB Ram, an AMD Phenom X4 9950, my GPU is a Sapphire HD 7750 Ultimate.

If I put Windows Vista in "Energy Saving", as it would translate from my German OS (which also seems to be the only option available that would come close to XPs old Standby), and any time later attempt to restore it by pressing any keyboard key as I've set it up in my BIOS, then one of two things will happen:
a) Windows will open, but will show an error "Display Driver shut down" or something similar, and the screen will flicker and show artifacts and other buggy stuff all over. This problem will remain till I restart the PC
b) I get a Bluescreen. The bluescreen has following information:
"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed."
"... (a few blocks of the usual text like "Make sure any new hardware is properly bla bla) ..."
"Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA802BBBA4E0, 0xFFFFFA6002411DB8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002)

*** atikmpag.sys - Address 0xFFFFFA6002411DB8 base at FFFFFFA6002409000, DateStamp 5064f994

It's not like I can't use my PC anymore, but I have to shutdown & reboot completely, which is a real hassle everytime. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Still have a good day yourselves, Greetz Night

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help. Energy Saving Mode in Vista returns to BSOD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help. Energy Saving Mode in Vista returns to BSOD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The clue is the ATI item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 3:32 AM PST

That looks to be a driver bug. While you could try driver hunts why not forget this and try HIBERNATE instead to save power? I did that for years while I waited for drivers to be fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
Good, but how do I get a Hibernate button?
by Nightstyle / November 8, 2012 8:41 AM PST

I just have a button for energy saving. I read some stuff on other sites after searching for hibernate, like various command prompts for re-enabling hibernate. So far it didn't do anything. The last thing I can try is set the standby in my BIOS settings from S3 back to S1. I just hope my PC can still wake up again, because it doesn't give me the option to wake up on Keyboard prompt when choosing S1...

Collapse -
Hibernate appeared, but fruitless!
by Nightstyle / November 8, 2012 9:27 AM PST

Apparently this forum has no "edit" feature, so sorry for this double post.

After setting from S3 to S1 in BIOS and restarting, the "Hibernate" button indeed appeared in my Start menu. It did seem to enter some mode, as my screen went to standby, but the CPU fan was still active. I definitely want a mode where it wont be, because I also want to have some silence from time to time.
Besides, I was unable to wake my PC up again, like I feared. Keyboard, Mouse, Power button, nothing worked, I had to hard-reset.

What's that about driver-hunting? Obviously I got the newest ATI drivers from their homepage, but I still have this problem. Are there any other drivers of note that can solve this?

Collapse -
Odd
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 11:17 AM PST

I never had to change the BIOS to use Hibernate. It's a bug so you deal with the machine's maker until it's fixed.

I can't guess which driver is going to work. ATI is FAMOUS about drivers. Not in a good way.
Bob

Collapse -
Annoying
by Nightstyle / November 10, 2012 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Odd

Shame. The machines maker is, as far as components are concerned, me. The original assemble time is also out of warranty. So I truly doubt the shop that put it together for me is going to offer help, especially when I tell them I changed some hardware since then.. Silly

So, there's the slight chance some older ATI driver is not going to cause this problem? And I am to try them all? Geez I'm not sure I have the nerves for that... especially since I had a similar problem before with my older HD 4800.

For the time being, I contacted AMD customer service, see if they can help me somehow. If anyone else has some good ideas I would really appreciate them, though...

Collapse -
You bet!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Annoying

Yes, if you read forums that discuss ATI drivers you find out that folk do find older drivers sometimes fix an issue or work better. I can't guess which one but if it worked before, you probably had the driver you wanted back then.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.