Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Help deciding on player for biking,

by TJ711 / April 12, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

My old mp4 player has been giving me alot of trouble and I'm ready to buy something with better sound quality. I'm looking for something with good durability to use while BMXing, dirt biking, and other athletic sports. I need at least 1GB and hopefully under $50. I also would like it to have quick navigation and be able to quickly scroll to the track I want through a couple hundred songs, good sound quality and an FM radio with good reception. So far I'm thinking of the iriver t10, but I'd like to know of any other good choices.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help deciding on player for biking,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help deciding on player for biking,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by TsumiAM91 / April 12, 2007 7:34 AM PDT

Id say go for the Creative Zen V 1gb or Zen V Plus. Get it off ebay. You can NOT get one of those players for 50 though.

Collapse -
by TJ711 / April 12, 2007 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: MP3

Thanks for the reply. My old player was similar to this one but I've decided that I never really will be able to enjoy photos and video on a screen that small, so I'm looking for something that just does music and is a little cheaper.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I'd like it to be able to play napster to go or rhapsody.

I also want to use it for kayaking, Is there any water proof/resistant player?

so far the best I've found is the iriver T10, but its not water proof and I'm not sure how quick it is at navigating the tracks

Collapse -
For 50 bucks
by ktreb / April 13, 2007 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Iriver?

I don't think you'll be able to find something water resistant, let alone waterproof. I could be wrong, but almost everything in that price category I've seen is a no-name brand at Walmart, Kmart, and the like. Someone posted a while back about a waterproofed 2nd generation iPod shuffle (no screen) that costed around $250. I also saw something from Oregon Scientific that was either waterproof or water resistant, but I don't remember how much it cost. You can take a look at either by searching google.

You might be able to find 1GB Creative Zen Nano for around $50, but I don't own one so I really couldn't tell you any more about it.

As far as water resistance/proofing, you may want to consider finding a case/bag that does this after you find your player. You probably won't find anything that fits exactly, as most accessories are geared toward iPods. You should be able to find something generic (although bulky) at a place like REI.

Collapse -
by TJ711 / April 13, 2007 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: For 50 bucks

thanks for the reply,
I've been looking around a little more and it looks like iriver sells and waterproof case/headphone set for the iriver 700 series players. The 799 is everything i'm looking for and in the price range but i don't think its compatible with napster to go. or I may just go with the T10 and I was able to find a water resistant bag for pretty reasonable price. thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by mbrenneman / April 23, 2007 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

Don't you want to be able to hear the roar of the waterfall up ahead?

Collapse -
by TJ711 / May 25, 2007 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Kayaking

I live in florida, slow rivers no drops

Collapse -
Love this thread
by Anewbike / August 6, 2012 4:49 AM PDT

I can't believe how quickly we have lost the need for dedicated mp3 players.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.