Storage forum

General discussion

Help!!! Confused about external/portable hard drives

by saibor / February 4, 2007 5:27 AM PST

My laptop is running out of space on it's C Disk space, which means I can't store anymore music, pictures, movies, or anything...I've been trying to delete alot, but I've come down to the bare necessities and I still have no space left...Would buying an external hard drive help? Or a portable hard drive....what's the difference between the two? Also, what's the best brand/type to buy? I'm thinking I need at least 120-160 gb to fill up my 80 gb ipod.
My laptop is a Dell inspiron 6000/windows xp
If there's an easier way to free up space or to solve my problem, could you please tell me? I really need help!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!!! Confused about external/portable hard drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!!! Confused about external/portable hard drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I did. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 4, 2007 7:12 AM PST

Buy any good brand of large internal HD. Buy an external USB-2 case with it's own power supply. Done.

Collapse -
by saibor / February 6, 2007 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: What I did. . .

So I have to buy an internal hard drive? Can't I just buy on of those externals or things that hooks up? Any reccomendations for good brands? Sorry for the naiveness, but I'm really not technologic.

Collapse -
by ozbozz123 / February 15, 2007 7:18 PM PST
In reply to: help?

What they are saying (i think) is either

1. to buy a new internal hard drive and a case then swap this new HD with your old drive and put your old HD in the case so giving you a big new HD and an external HD.

2. or they are suggesting you do is put the new internal HD in the case which seems a little pointless for you as you might as well buy a normal external hard drive as it would seem to me as you'd prefer a simple solution.

Some brands i regard as good are Seagate, Western Digital, or Maxtor but i dont know if maxtor do external HD, i also seen a few good toshiba HDs

If I were you i would buy an external HD as opposed to a portable one as they are more reliable (supposedly) they will require a power supply and have a fan in to cool them, they are also faster.

I dont if i made the differences clear so heres some pics

Collapse -
External / Portable Hard drives
by Silvertop / February 15, 2007 8:03 PM PST

Cost wise an External (USB2) hard drive is the way to go. I just purchased a 250G Kaser drive for $149(Cdn) at BestBuy.
The drive inside is a Western Digital which I know will give me many years of service. The software shipped with the drive is also top of the line for backups etc.. Speed is also quite acceptable.

Collapse -
External drives, portable drives and backup?
by citymars / February 15, 2007 8:48 PM PST

I assume with an external drive one just leaves it connected at all times, and only disconnect it to connect another USB device, such as a portable key drive (of course I'm imaginging a PC with only one USB port).

Question: Does one typically use the external drive for backup, or is a third element needed?

Collapse -
external hard drive
by Corky50 / February 16, 2007 10:25 AM PST

maybe before you worry about expanding to an external hard drive, you may want to spend $20 a 4 port usb hub so you don't have to plug and unplug...i purchased a 200gb external for under $80 on line right after Christmas ..i am running two 40 gb hard drives, (old and newer) and the 200 gib external-i use the external more for backup and photo storage...compared to the "old days" storage is very inexpensive and so many different ways to do it.

Collapse -
Good advice, thanks
by citymars / February 20, 2007 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: external hard drive

Thanks, that's good advice. I'll buy a hub *and* an external hard drive.

Collapse -
If im in your shoe
by wjunwei / February 15, 2007 11:04 PM PST

hi pal, i would like to give you my opinion should i be in your shoe.

Sounds like u do like to archive lots of videos/musics etc. (Me too!!! in Singapore)

Get a harddisk 3.5inches type and then get a separate external harddisk enclosure (USB2.0 connection).

In Singapore,there are many shops selling them as a set. (only SGD$140 for Seagate harddisk, 5yrs waranty)

Main purpose for the harddisk is to archive musics/videos which you havent had time to properly archived. But do get yourself a DVD burner too. Cos i dont supposed you want to turn on ur harddisk everytime.

If you are the sort who are really mobile. Then do get those harddisk which is of 2.5inches, add the external enclosure too.

PS: since i dont carry a laptop, i used a 3.5inches type harddisk. My younger cousin owns a laptop and the 2.5inches harddisk (a much more portable solution)

Collapse -
External HD
by dmt2 / February 16, 2007 12:21 AM PST

My laptop filled up and I now have 3 drives made by Lacie (I have a lot of data). Lacie do a 320GB drive for

Collapse -
by micker377 / February 16, 2007 12:50 PM PST

To answer your basic question: what is the difference? An external hard drive is what they are saying (buy a regular hard drive and put it into a USB box). I think the "portable" drive you are referring to is an already assembled hard drive in a box. You just plug it in and go. Simpler, but can be more expensive than "do-it-yourself". Either way, you will now have a HUGE floppy drive! You can use it for storing anything you want.

Collapse -
Cnet search for info
by MarkTheSpot / February 16, 2007 5:47 PM PST

While on, click Reviews and search for "external hard drive" and "portable hard drive"
If you want to take the hard drive with you to use where there is no power (110 volts) you need a portable HD. I have an Acomdata 80GB drive that requires 2 USB ports or 1 Firewire 400 port for it to work, so make sure you know the connection requirements.
I also have an internal 3.5" desktop HD that I bought an enclosure for (you place the HD inside the enclosure, connect the cables, put the cover on and its ready to use) but it requires plugging into a power outlet (110 volts) to make it work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.