Computer Newbies forum

Question

Help - Computer / Internet issues

by nebula1 / April 16, 2013 1:42 PM PDT

Hello,

>>>1) Will I lose my Favourites if I delete > History, Cookies, and Temporary Internet Files?

2) Should doing this clean up will help the following question 3) , or is it not related?

>>> 3) I have Rogers Extreme Speed internet, but it is not working as fast as it should on my computer all of the time. How do I tell if it is an issue with my computer, OR with the internet service, OR with the web site that I'm on at any given time?

Like right now for instance, typing this post on your site,the computer is keeping up with my typing. BUT usually, for instance, in the "new" annoying "Microsoft Outlook take-over-version" of Hotmail, it is just too frustrating to even work in, so I often type out my emails first in Word documents and then copy it into my email message to send.

Sometimes when I have more than one or two sites open at once, and am working on a Word doc at the same time, I can hear my computer audibly "working" -- (not chugging or churning) In fact, once or twice, my computer froze and I had to cold boot it to close!!

My computer is old but has been upgraded in many aspects over the years.. In any case, before internet installation, I contacted a Rogers Tech and checked it out. He got info from me re my computer, and confirmed that my statistics were pretty much as good as his eg, same OS, same memory capacity, RAM, Speed etc.. or whatever it is that is pertinent in regards to internet function and speed. So I'm expecting that the speed should indeed be "Extreme".

4) Also, sometimes when I have more than one or two sites open at once and am working on a Word document at the same time, I hear my computer box audibly "working" (nothing bad like churning or chugging).

In fact, once or twice, my computer froze and once I had to cold boot it to close!! >> why would that happen, and what should I do to guard against it?

I am not terribly experienced. Can someone kindly offer any support re the above? Thanks, Gale.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - Computer / Internet issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - Computer / Internet issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
System mainenance
by Willy / April 16, 2013 11:15 PM PDT

If you worry about your "favorites" getting lost you can "export" them. That way it's used and cane retrieved and in "imported" should they have been hosed.

While windoze can can do many things to include multi-tasking, you can reach a practical limit. It wouldn't hurt to shutdown some task when you don't need it for now and of course, save your work or similar beforehand. Also, each task can burden the system they don't do this on an equal basis, one or the other maybe more system resource intensive again refers to all the PC has to do. Just because a PC freezes or hangs may actually recover if given time(don't do anything more) as it serves all requests. If it becomes too much you then see the result.

As for internet connection that too can vary. Depending on your type of service and connection it *WILL* go up/down as it becomes burdened. It also can vary during the time of the day of "peak" usage from all users. As for Hotmail, etc, being swapped over that along with all the users and rather large task this all has to be accomplished while online, can be yet another item that provider has to deal with, just another wrench in the works.

Since, you mentioned you PC is an older model, well that too reaches a practical limit. Sooner or later it all comes to a head. Among all the things you get to do is do simple hous cleaning, like disk defrag, basic registry cleaning, reduce task(bkgrd. running), turn-OFF gritz features like video enhancements(Aero, mouse actions), etc., and then there how much ram you have(increase it). Look into of this, google for details if you need to.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Internet issues
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 11:54 PM PDT

The answer to your first 2 questions is No and No respectively. You won't lose your favorites, but it won't help to speedup your Internet much, if anything.

For one thing, as long a you type a mail in your browser it does nothing at all with the Internet. It only sends your message to the server at Microsoft if you press 'send'. And since it has nothing to do with Internet, it has nothing to do with Internet speed either. Typing while you're connected via 100 mbps glass fiber connection is just as fast or just as slow as it would be if you had a 30 kbps (3000 times slower) dial-up connection. Only the time it takes to actually send the message is much shorter.

So if your computer is overburdened, it most likely is too small/slow for what you're doing. There might be background programs running, and that might even be malware (like a botnet that's using your PC to send spam or make a dDOS attack against some site).
It's difficult to say anything definite without knowing the full specs of your PC and seeing what runs.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.