Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Help! Computer cannot find printer in wireless network.

by PellaSp / January 4, 2012 8:55 PM PST

Hello, I am running a computer with Windows 7 Service pack 1 64 bit OS and I'm trying to install a wireless Canon MX420 printer.

My computer is connected to my router through an ethernet cord and I have managed to set up my printer's wifi just fine. It appears connected on the printer's screen and I have disabled all firewalls on my computer yet it still won't detect it... Please any help and insight would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Computer cannot find printer in wireless network.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Computer cannot find printer in wireless network.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Quick question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 9:20 PM PST

Have you installed the printer's software onto the Win 7 computer?

As I understand it, you have to "Add a Network, wireless or Bluetooth printer" to Win 7 using the wizard in the Start > "Devices and Printers" folder, so you may have to do that as well.

Mark

Collapse -
clarification
by PellaSp / January 4, 2012 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Quick question

I have done that yes.. After more research I am concerned that my computer may simply not have a wireless adapter enabled but I can't figure out how to check that. When I go to networking options I select the network adapter options and only find my ethernet. This is odd because I have had a printer wirelessly print and scan before...

Collapse -
Wifi printer
by pgc3 / January 4, 2012 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: clarification

What are you using for a router? Just off the top I would suspect router issue(s).

Collapse -
router
by PellaSp / January 5, 2012 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Wifi printer

I use a Motorola surfboard from Midco - less than a year old.

Collapse -
My old surfboard did not route.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: router

Or have wifi. Since there are more models I can't guess which you have. And I do have the Canon MX870 working great here.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: clarification

You said in your first post that your Win7 computer is connected to your router via an ethernet card. If so, it does not need a wireless adapter and that should not affect it seeing and connecting to the printer.

While I bow to the change discussion about the router and I accept there may be some setting or other there that needs looking at, I'm still puzzled what the computer's wizard said when you used it to connect to this printer.

Mark

Collapse -
incorrect port
by PellaSp / January 5, 2012 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: I'm confused.

The router has wifi - I use it around the house with my laptop and my nook without a problem. When I try to connect the printer either by local port \\compname\printername or by the IP address that the printer lists that it occupies while connected to the wifi - it keeps saying error port does not exist or it tries to detect until it times out. I tried today to unplug my ethernet cord from the PC and try to create a wireless connection and see if that's the problem and I don't even see my network's name or any of my neighbors' for that matter on the wireless connections my PC is seeing. I'm thinking that's where the problem lies but not sure how to proceed from here.

Collapse -
Ahh
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: incorrect port

In that case I have to pass. I was under the impression the printer connection to the router was fine; "I have managed to set up my printer's wifi just fine. It appears connected on the printer's screen".

May be Bob's observation is right. His surfboard didn't have wifi. He asked if you had a different model.

Mark

Collapse -
it if fine
by PellaSp / January 5, 2012 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh

The printer's connection to the router -is- fine. As I mentioned above the printer is connected, my nook is connected, my laptop is connected. There no reason to think the wifi doesn't work - it does. the problem is on the PC's side.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.