Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Help choosing laptop? Samsung 530U4B vs S350E**

by liamaustin7v / November 5, 2012 4:06 AM PST

Hi there,

I need a new laptop. I would mainly use it for browsing the web, typing / editing documents, itunes, a few HD movies and videos and using a graphic design program call Techsoft 2D design. I'm in collage.

I think i've narrowed it to these 2:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-530U4B-inch-Ultrabook/dp/tech-data/B007ZYZ996/ref=de_a_smtd

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-3-3530e-15-6-laptop-17056554-pdt.html

Both have 500gb HD, 6GB ram and an i3 processor, and I love the matte screens on both of them. I have seen them in the shops for the SAME PRICE of £400. I am aware the 530U4V is running windows 7 - is it any slower tan windows 8? I also like the metal body of the 530U4V and screen size, but it is an older machine than the 3530E.

I don't know too much on computers, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

liamaustin7v has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help choosing laptop? Samsung 530U4B vs S350E**
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help choosing laptop? Samsung 530U4B vs S350E**
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by liamaustin7v

Collapse -
The 2D software is a concern.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 4:18 AM PST

Ask the instructor if they think it will be OK.

These are very different laptops. One's an Ultrabook and very nice for students. The other is a run of the mill laptop still OK for students but the Ultrabook would be my pick for the work I do.
Bob

PS. The machine speed does not change with the OS. I can't guess why folk ask that.

Collapse -
re: reply
by liamaustin7v / November 5, 2012 4:26 AM PST

Okay, thanks for the quick reply.

I just expected the newer 3530E to have some advantages since it is a newer model, but I guess not. So would they run at virtually the same speed? I was just assuming because of the windows 8 faster start up time as an OS it may be quicker, but I don't know much about computer so I guess I was wrong, also I have only used windows 7, and not windows 8.

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
Sorry but as I see my Samsung start in under 5 seconds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: re: reply

And both are running Windows 7, Samsung's quick start seems to be working well. I'm left to guess you have a reason to not use that feature? Or you didn't know about it or the retailer is not showing you the machines?

As to Windows 8, I'm calling it the new Windows ME or Vista. From the looks of things we'll treat this like Vista and wait for 9.
Bob

Collapse -
re: reply
by liamaustin7v / November 5, 2012 4:38 AM PST

Okay, that is interesting. Well I have never had a computer with the quick start feature, and most of the assistants in the retailers were busy, so I was left to play with the machines myself, and I didn't attempt to see how fast they would power on.

Ah right, I guess it is just the marketing which exaggerates the improvements over windows 7 - i'm not really a fan of the metro interface either.

So I think i'll go with the ultrabook option - thanks again for your help

Collapse -
Is this the 14 inch? Impressive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: re: reply
Collapse -
by liamaustin7v / November 5, 2012 4:50 AM PST

Ah right, that is interesting. The floor staff in both of the retailers were busy, so I was left to play with the machines myself, and I didn't think of checking the start up time, but I had briefly heard about the quick start features.

I guess I just payed too much attention to the marketing for windows 8 and it's improvements over 7, even though I'm not really a fan of the metro interface.

Anyway, I think i'll go with the ultrabook option after all, thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Have found Windows 8 to have a bad rep from BETA Testers
by veloster29 / November 18, 2012 10:07 PM PST

I have heard from BETA TESTERS that 8 is a disaster. trying to find a new laptop without it. $300.00 more. Will not BETA TEST for any electronics manufacturer or software developer again, Consumers ARE all Beta testers now without our permission..from cell phones to computers.

Any suggestions??

Stay away from Windows 8 is what I was told...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.