Phones

Question

Help choosing a Tracfone (budget)

by Cambeie / February 20, 2013 5:50 AM PST

I'm poor basically. I live only on a fixed SSI income. So I use the Safelink program in the northeast of the U.S. I asked them and they said I can get another tracfone than the one they sent me so I'm looking to get one.

I've got a little money for now so I'm looking to upgrade. I could probably afford something up to $60-ish. Definitely can't afford anything over $80 so that would be my absolute max but would prefer to keep it to $60 or less.

What would you guys say is the best Tracfone these days? I know Tracfone doesn't have an android phone but they do have a couple of touch screen phones.. the LG 800g and LG 840g. What do you guys think of those two phones? And are there other, better, choices?

I mostly use my phone to make calls, text a little, and use the alarm. Wifi stuff would be nice, but not necessary.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help choosing a Tracfone (budget)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help choosing a Tracfone (budget)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tracfone has android.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 6:42 AM PST
Collapse -
That's a no-go. =(
by Cambeie / February 20, 2013 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Tracfone has android.

Yeah I can't even find a price on that and like you said, they don't sell it on the internet. I'm disabled and stuck at home for the most part so online shopping is the way I have to go.

And what I have now is a very old tracfone. It doesn't have internet or apps or anything. It's the LG 320g.

Do you know anything about specific tracfone models that you might be able to help me with?

Collapse -
Then folk shop for you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: That's a no-go. =(

When I dad was in the rest home, others would go shopping for him.

Collapse -
If you switch to Net10, you could get an Android phone
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2013 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: That's a no-go. =(

And also one w/ wifi if desired. Prices will be similar to Tracfone. Net10 is owned by Tracfone too, FWIW.

Right now I don't see anything for sale, like you said, w/ Android for TF. But you could also call their toll free support number to verify that it's simply not shown on their site but still offered for sale (The LG Optimus Zip).

Collapse -
Answer
Target sells these at this link
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 10:47 AM PST
Collapse -
I had SafelinkWireless and I did find a Tracfone at Wal-Mart
by DChrisL / February 27, 2013 7:13 AM PST

I am on a fixed income also. They transferred all my information into the new cell with double minutes, could take pictures and you can call all over the world for a same price. I have since lost it. The new one comes with Bluetooth plus extras. Type in Walmart.com and you can see it there and can order it online. Darrell

Collapse -
(NT) Don't forget to set it up with your safelink number
by DChrisL / February 27, 2013 7:14 AM PST
Collapse -
You can order online and theywill explain how to set it up
by DChrisL / February 27, 2013 7:35 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.