Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Help! Cannot access "Internet Options"

by paperheartblue / July 7, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

Hello! I have a big problem and was wondering whether anyone can help, Sad

I cannot access the Internet Options from Control Panel or Internet Explorer or Run, methods tried:

From IE tools> internet option:
result: pop up saying "This option has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" (I am administrator and I already tried making new administive accounts but still doesnt work.

From Control Panel:
"Internet Options" selection is completely gone

From Start > Run > "CONTROL INETCPL.CPL" :
this options works on my other computer to retrieve the Internet Options control panel, BUT on this computer it is useless.. nothing happens

From SPYBOT:
I already made sure the "Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE" is not checked

I have ran various antivirus programs and Ad-aware.. there is no problem with those.

Does anyone have alternative ways ? Thank you so much in advance !!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Cannot access "Internet Options"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Cannot access "Internet Options"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional trhings I have tried to no avail
by paperheartblue / July 7, 2007 11:04 AM PDT

additional things I have also tried since then:

1. typing "gpedit.msc" in RUN box to see if anything in the IE options have been configured.. but error window " Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc' Make sure you typed the name correctly..." (I retried it) pops up

2. Right clicking Internet Explorer icon.. "internet Properties"
Result: nothing comes up

Collapse -
try this
by tylersmiller / July 7, 2007 11:16 AM PDT

go to the following registry name.
to get to the registry: start>run>regedit.exe

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

set all values to 0 except for the default name.
hope this helps

Collapse -
thank you for reply! but cannot go all the way to IE
by paperheartblue / July 7, 2007 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

than you so much for the reply!!
I tried to go to registry edit and everything works UNTIL the Microsoft Sad

basically I can go up to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\
but there is no "Internet Explorer" option after that. Only "system Certificate"

Could you possibly know the solution to that?

(once again thank you so much for replying ^__^ )

Collapse -
ok, try this
by tylersmiller / July 7, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

go to this again. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\

add a new Key called Internet Explorer. Then a new key to the Internet Explorer called Control Panel. create a new DWORD called GeneralTab and make the value 0. restart and let me know if it works!

Collapse -
tested the regedit for 4 accounts
by paperheartblue / July 7, 2007 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: ok, try this

Thank you for taking time to reply tylersmiller!

I have tried adding the new key but I don't know if this is the correct method, can you verify?

The computer has 4 user accounts, and when I have added the keys and DWORD to one account, I realized that it doesn't affect the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies... in another user. Thus, I repeated the process on all 4 accounts. (some accounts I realized already had the Control Panel (my bad! >.<) but others didn't) either way, I added the new keys and DWORDS to the accounts that didn't and made sure all the values except for the Default was set to 0 <-- ( by right clicking the name>modify>value = 0 )

After I changed it, I restarted my computer and then went to each account but none of them worked yet Sad (the IE still shows an error msg when I click Internet Options and does not appear in Control panel.)

hrmm.. maybe the best way would just be to restore my whole computer into factory state? (just kind of hassle because I have so much files stored in it and I do not own an external hard drive Sad )

Is there any other possible way to solve? if not it is ok, thank you so much for your help! ^__^

Collapse -
lets try it again
by tylersmiller / July 7, 2007 1:48 PM PDT

this time instead of going to HKEY_USER go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and do the same changes i stated above.

Could not remember if you said you were using Spybot S and D, but if you are and the above did not work, try this:

-----
If Spybot is blocking Internet Options, you'll need to temporarily turn off Spybot's protection against abuse of the the "Internet Options" control panel. Just follow these steps:

1. Click on the "Start" menu

2. Click on "All Programs"

3. Click on the "Spybot - Search & Destroy" program group

4. Click on the "Spybot - Search & Destroy" program

5. When the main Spybot window appears, click the "Immunize" button in the toolbar at left

6. At the bottom of the window, you may see checkboxes named "lock IE start page setting against user changes" and "lock IE control panel against opening from within IE." If they are checked, uncheck them. This will enable you to use Internet Options.

If you don't see these options, then your version of Spybot Search & Destroy does not have this feature. See the next section.
-----

keep us all informed about this discussion

Collapse -
Re: Help! Cannot access "Internet Options"
by Tufenuf / July 7, 2007 11:45 AM PDT

paperheartblue, Go to the link below, click on "Win XP Fixes", click on "Fix Internet Options Restriction" to download a vbs file. Instructions for running it are on the page.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
tried file
by paperheartblue / July 7, 2007 11:58 AM PDT

Thank you Tufenuf for replying me.

I have gone to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_fix_inetoptions_restrictions.htm and downloaded the VBS file. I clicked on it and almost immediately it says "Done. You may need to log off/log on or reboot for the change to take effect" I turned off the computer for a few minutes.

However, when I open my computer and try to go to Internet options, the same error occurs through IE.. and the option is still not avaliable through Control Panel.:(

Thank you so much for ur help Tufenuf? does anyone have any other suggestions? any would greatly be appreciated

Collapse -
Re: tried file
by Tufenuf / July 7, 2007 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: tried file

paperheartblue, Have you tried a System Restore to the closest date prior to when this problem started? Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Inetcpl.cpl
by trublubush / July 7, 2007 3:37 PM PDT

To Paperheart,
You didn't say whether or not your INETCPL.CPL file is extant. Go to your SYSTEM32 folder and make sure it's there. If not, you might try System Restore as has been suggested, or, you can have a friend email you a copy(make sure you get the right version for whatever Service Pack is installed on your computer).

>Trublu

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.