Computer Help forum

Question

Help C drive in my pictures - Virus?

by jlbazr / April 7, 2012 12:06 AM PDT

HELP!
Recently I have been noticing my laptop moving slowly (windows 7). Searching through some of my Other Users, I find that the C Drive seems to be copying itself (and additional copies of my pictures, etc) into the My Pictures folder. I do not see this additional C drive copy in my account as the administrator, just 1 other users account.

Last night I ran a Malwarebytes scan in safe mode (administrator's account) and removed two viruses that I could not see in normal mode.

But to know if the removal was successful, I would need to delete the 'copied' C: drive (the regular C: drive location still exists). If the C:Drive returns to My Pictures in the next day or so I will know the removal did not work.

Has anyone seen this or fixed this issue? How?
And would there be any harm removing this copy of C drive (since I assume this is a copy). I feel this will be the only way to know if and why this backup/copy seems to be happening.
Help and thanks!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help C drive in my pictures - Virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help C drive in my pictures - Virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Copy?
by Willy / April 7, 2012 2:10 AM PDT

There shouldn't be a "copy" of the OS unless this is really a recovery feature. You did mention "other users" they should have some files readily available for their use or within their area of control but only as in convience of sorts and those pgms. and file still refer to the original path of same. Usually, this is the result of user access when the account was started and when a pgm. loaded asked, if for that user alone or everyone, thus shared or privilege.

If running the AV scans and all that comes back, OK. It's all good, then I suggest you delete the "restore feature" of the OS, NOT the recovery OS, but restore points. That area is a prime "rehatching" source for any malware to return even after you've cleaned it all up. Finally, if nothing seems to work, then do an OS recovery(partition or recovery discs), save whatever "data only" to discs. Use the proper recovery process and return the laptop to day 1. Then reload any OS updates, drivers, Av pgms., etc. until it's 100% done, Then before returning the "saved data" back into the do a malware scan of those discs themselves before returning data to proper directories.

Then, are you using some back-up s/w that helps recover from some error or return to a previous condition besides any OS provided one? If that's the case, then you maybe running low of HD space. Overall it will start to slow, either to cope with all this copious data and/or sorting it out plus reduced HD space.

tada -----Willy Happy

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I can have a Shortcut or Link to my drive C anywhere.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2012 6:33 AM PDT

Be sure you have others check what you are seeing and be aware that if you are using Explorer, it lies. Just look at many of it's displays and I find My Documents on My Computer and again later in C:\Users. This shielding and hand holding by Explorer often hides what's really there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.