Laptops forum

General discussion

HELP: Bloatware: What to keep or delete?

by yiang / December 3, 2007 2:26 PM PST

I recently purchased a HP DV9500t (2.4 Ghz, 240 HDD, 2Gb ram on Vista Premium), but I'm not sure which of the bloatware I need to get rid of off. I got rid of Norton's and Vongo, but I'm not sure what else to trash or keep. My main concern is getting rid of something that's needed for the PC to operate, such as for the HD-DVD player or webcam. Is there a list of hp bloatware I can trash without disabling a major feature on this laptop? Any insight or tips? If it helps, i'll only be using the laptop for web surfing via Firefox and managing media (watching and downloading) mostly.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP: Bloatware: What to keep or delete?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP: Bloatware: What to keep or delete?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help. New car, what to keep?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2007 1:33 AM PST

I tossed the cigarette lighter out and not sure if all that in the glove compartment needs to be there.

-> Think about the car analogy. Isn't this an area where you decide?

Bob

Collapse -
What?
by yiang / December 4, 2007 1:47 AM PST

That doesn't help really, esp. if I don't know what each program does or if ti'd affect other apps / programs on the laptop.

Collapse -
That helps others help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2007 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: What?

You didn't list each program so no one can comment if it's absolutely required or what it does.

So I disagree my reply didn't help. It helped you to post more about your concern and WHY YOU COULDN"T DECIDE.

-> What to do next? List a few items you need more info on.

Bob

Collapse -
List of Progams: Bloatware? yae or nay?
by yiang / December 4, 2007 10:39 AM PST

Activation asst. for MS Suites 2007
Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX
Adobe Reader 8
ESU for MS Vista
HP Customer Experience Frontend
HP help and Suppport
HP Integrated module with bluetooth wireless tech
HP photosmart essential 2.0
HP Quicklaunch Buttons 6.20 B1
HP Quickplay 3.2
HP Total Care Advisor
HP Update
HP wireless Assistant
HP Network Assistant
Intel Storage Matrix Manager
Java SE Runtime Environment 6
MS Office home and student
MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
MS Works
Motorola SM56 Data fax modem
MSCU for MS Vista
MSN
MSN Messenger
MSXML 4.0 SP2
muvee auto producer 6.0
My HP Games
Nvidia Drivers
Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers
Roxio Creator easy archive
Roxio Creator Tools
Roxio Express labeler 3
Synaptic pointing Device Driver
Verisoft Acct. manager
Yahoo Toolbar for IE

I need to find out whats needed and whats bloatware. Like I said I'll mainly be surfing via Firefox and managing media through Nero and some other apps I haven't loaded yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
RE:List of Progams: Bloatware? yae or nay?
by marsdta / December 4, 2007 10:55 AM PST

i also have an hp (dv2000t) these are what i took off:

Adobe Reader 8---Intalled Foxit Reader
HP Customer Experience Frontend
HP photosmart essential 2.0
HP Total Care Advisor
HP wireless Assistant
HP Network Assistant
MS Office home and student
MS Works
MSN
MSN Messenger
muvee auto producer 6.0
My HP Game
Yahoo Toolbar for IE

Since you mentioned that you wil be using Nero, you can take off all Roxio items awell

Collapse -
by Dango517 / December 4, 2007 11:04 AM PST

Are you using this? It usually doesn't come with a PC. It's a programers tool. If your not a programer it is a very large program and can be obtained from Microsoft should you need it after uninstalling it. Your call, there could be risks of removing it. See it's properties for it's list of dependence's if important components of the PC rely on it, keep it.

This is a very lean list, very. Nearly all of it is essential. Usually only a very serious gamer or professional would be running this lean. If your really serious about gutting it out see this link.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

There is a very lean list of services for competitive gamers, proceed with caution, proceed with care.

Collapse -
by yiang / December 5, 2007 7:43 AM PST

Nope, it was just on there. I haven't touched it. I've had others look at at it and they think it's pretty slim outside of a few HP aps I dropped. I shoudl be good to go. Thanks everyone.

Collapse -
DON'T REMOVE LIST.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2007 11:44 PM PST

Just my opinion. Could change based on more inputs.

Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX
ESU for MS Vista
Intel Storage Matrix Manager
Motorola SM56 Data fax modem
MSCU for MS Vista
MSXML 4.0 SP2
Nvidia Drivers
Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers
Synaptic pointing Device Driver

I would not remove the above without more research. I left the Flash Player in the list since many remove it and can't figure out how to reinstall.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.