Computer Help forum

General discussion

HELP!!! BIG problem with very small fonts

by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 11:18 AM PST

My sisters laptop (DELL inspiron 2200 winxp pro) encountered some problem and it restarted... when the screen came up the fontsize is microscopic! They are too small to read! Almost everything but the desktop and startmenu icons are small. I tried restarting it again but i still got the problem. I can't even read windows is shutting down but the microsoft logo and text is at the normal size. On the log on screen the windows logo is normal but the users and the message to "log-in blahblahblah" is too small. a capital leter is about a milimeter and a small one is about the size of this dot "." --- the word ad-aware se is about this long -.- and there's no way you'll be able to read it! i don't even know what the agent baloon is saying. the agents are about the size of this asterisk *. I can't navigate my way around the computer. the word start on the start menu is about the length of a dash - and the hight of a dot . and i'm not making this up! please is there anyone there who can help me. I'm currently running all of the anti-everythings maybe it's a virus or something... help pls..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!!! BIG problem with very small fonts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!!! BIG problem with very small fonts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info would be helpful
by awiekupo / March 5, 2007 12:12 PM PST

Do you remember what happen before the laptop restarted? IS it when you are installing something or browsing certain website? How about the resolution? Do you notice any different on the resolution? if you are able to login to windows, you might want to check the resolution setting.

This is one interesting problem. Hope to hear more about it.

Collapse -
more info
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 12:22 PM PST

it's not connected to the internet, my sister had been playing a game called zoo tycoon then it happened. it's very hard to describe i'll take a picture and post it somewhere.

Collapse -
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 1:05 PM PST
Collapse -
Resolution & Safe Mode
by awiekupo / March 5, 2007 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: SCREEN PHOTOS

Thanks for the photo. Yup, it sure look very small to me. I just wondering, are you able to view what is the current resolution setting? If you can, you might want to try using 800*600 or 1024*768 for the screen resolution.

You can also try to login using safe mode (Pressing F5 or Press F8 during start up and choose 'Safe Mode'). Do you see any changes if login in Safe Mode?

Collapse -
improvement on the sit'
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 2:22 PM PST
In reply to: Resolution & Safe Mode

You've seen the small tab (pic7) that's the system properties tab. beside it is when you click the rmb. I tried that already and manage to increase a bit of the font size by increasing the fontsize to very large i was just lucky enough to click the right things, but the rest is hopeless, no way any person could navigate through that. I just finnished loading it on safe mode.... okay success.... then what do we do? should i go for system restore or try to find the cause...

Collapse -
System restore
by awiekupo / March 5, 2007 2:26 PM PST

Do you activate your system restore? If yes, you can try to use the system restore and restore back to it original status at least 24 hours before this problem arise. Wish you all the best!

Collapse -
System restore solution failed
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: System restore

i can't read the message shown by sytem restore so i have no idea if it is successfull or not, but it definetly din't solve the problem. running it on safe mode works but as soon as I run it normally it goes abnormal (ironic). There has been a small improvement.. the min/max & close buttons are back to normal and now i can read the messages in the text baloon.

Collapse -
Hehe.. this is fun.
by awiekupo / March 5, 2007 2:58 PM PST

Ok, i assume that is some good news. Silly

I still think it got something to do with the display setting.
Can you go to the Display Setting (Just right click on the desktop) > Properties > Settings > Advanced > General.

Under DPI Setting can you change it to highest value, normally 120 DPI. Alternatively, you can try select custom from the DPI value list and select the highest percentage on the highest percentage available.

Collapse -
Eureka moment!
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: Hehe.. this is fun.

Bingo! a bit too late my friend. but a lot of thanks.

i was about to tell you what i did to solve it, but it seems you also found the remedy for this one. it turns out that it's running on 20%DPI. i change it back to normal and it's back to normal.

Big thanks to you! Cheers and have a nice day.
it's 7a.m. here and i started fixing it at about 2am. well i'm happy that it's over.

Collapse -
by awiekupo / March 5, 2007 3:44 PM PST
In reply to: Eureka moment!

Good work! Now go get some rest.. Wink

Collapse -
minor problem
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 3:59 PM PST
In reply to: Yeayy..

the icons are too widespread and about 2 inch apart.
any ideas...

Collapse -
2 inch apart.. Err.. how it look like?
by awiekupo / March 5, 2007 4:11 PM PST
In reply to: minor problem

You have made some changes on the font size too large last time. Have you changed it back to normal? If you have made other changes on the display setting too you can try to reset it back again to the original setting.

Or you can just play around on the display setting. No harm testing various setting as long as long as you do not do something harmful like deleting the driver or update to a new driver. lol.

Collapse -
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 4:25 PM PST

normally the icon names are typed like this

[icon] [icon] [icon]
My McAfee Recycle
Computer Personal Bin

but since the problem it's like this
[icon] [icon] [ic
My Computer McAfee Personal Firewall Plus Recycl

does my diagram help or you need to seea photo

Collapse -
Picture would help much better.
by awiekupo / March 5, 2007 4:32 PM PST
In reply to: lol

Hehehe.. Picture would be very much appreciated. This way, other member too can try to help much better. Wink

Collapse -
Arrange Icons By
by awiekupo / March 7, 2007 1:26 PM PST
In reply to: minor problem

Hi again.

Just right click on desktop and select 'Arrange Icons By'
You will see a lot of option and play around with all the option until you are satisfied. Silly

Collapse -
I've got it sorted out
by drdiaboloco / March 8, 2007 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: Arrange Icons By

I fiddled out with the display properties>>advance>>appearance>>Item (listbox)...Icon spacing(Vertical/horizontal) set it to 30 then restared the pc. After that it's back to normal. It was 160 before I change it.
I wonder what caused all of those problems. It changed the display settings dramatically on its own. tried running the scans but it didn't picked up any..

anyways thanks for all of your help, using safe mode didn't pop up my head until you advise me to..LOL Thanks again mate!

Collapse -
link to new photos
by drdiaboloco / March 5, 2007 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: new photos
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.