AVG

General discussion

Help - AVG 9 free trial download killed my computer

by grrrgrrl / May 4, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

Yesterday I dowloaded AVG 9 free 30 day trial version, then ran a virus scan. About half an hour in, everything froze, and I ended up having to remove the battery to turn the computer off. When I try to log in I get as far as 'loading windows' then the screen goes black. As I am a journalist, and currebntly traveliing for work, this is a feaking nightmare...how can I get my computer working again - forget AVG, if this is what it does I don't want it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - AVG 9 free trial download killed my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - AVG 9 free trial download killed my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help - AVG 9 free trial download killed my computer
by Ondrej_AVG / May 4, 2010 3:39 PM PDT

Hi,

please accept our apologies for this situation.

Was some infection detected by AVG scan?

If so, please check this How-To - http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=85163

Is possible to boot into Safe Mode and uninstall AVG?
How-To boot in Safe Mode - http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=85145

Do you suspect BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death with automatic restart) is happening on your computer?
Please check this thread at AVG Free Forum about possible reasons - http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=51131

Please provide us with more information about your computer (installed protection applications, firewall, etc.).

Thank you

Collapse -
model etc
by grrrgrrl / May 5, 2010 8:13 AM PDT

It is a SONY VAIO laptop, two years old, with Windows Vista Business, and the computer is not the problem!!

When it froze, it had not detected an infection at that point - it had scanned something like 45,000 files and was still going.

I wouldn't have a clue how to boot into safe mode - unless that is what happens when you turn it on and it says "Last shutdown was not normal (or something similar) do you want to restart in safe mode " and I said yes, and the computer itself restarts, gets the VAIO logo, then says Windows is starting up, then the little timer-bar at the bottom starts going, then after a few minutes the screen goes blank. I have left it for an hour to see if eventually does something, but it doesn't...I have to remove the battery to turn it off. So I can't even refer you you to any virus detected or error messages, because there weren't any. I don't have a clue what Blue Screen of Death restart is, will have a look at that link, but as is obvious, I am limited to internet cafes between flights and bus trips to do all this...now going to the Blue Death link.

Collapse -
other anti-virus software I had used
by grrrgrrl / May 5, 2010 8:29 AM PDT

It also had EnetNOd32 or whatever it's called on it, which had been working fine but my subscription was about to run out so I thought I would try AVG full version. I have used AVG free in the past, and I had also tried AVAST, but found they slowed the computer down too much, so thought it might be that free ones weren't so great, so I tried the trial of the full one in the hope it might be better....... I uninstalled the NOD32 before downloading AVG 9 trial (had uninstalled the others as I installed new ones) so there should not have been any conflict between programmes.

Collapse -
Blue Screen Death
by grrrgrrl / May 5, 2010 8:33 AM PDT

Have looked at the link and it doesn't tell what Blue Screen Death even is, so that's a lot of help!! Also, how can I do any of the suggestions on that page if the computer doesn't open in the first place? Please give me step by step instructions, because if I have a frozen screen I have no idea what I can do, as NOTHING happens, and none of the advice tells me what to do in this situation.

Collapse -
Blue Screen Death
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / May 5, 2010 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Blue Screen Death

Hi grrrgrrl,

if you are positive that the computer is not the problem (e.g. the disk has not overheated), you can try the "Last known good configuration" in your Vista system. Detailed description of the procedure is available here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

More information about BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) can be found on this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

Alternatively, you can use e.g. the Hiren's boot CD to run hard drive check and to repair any possibly damaged hard drive sectors. Also, while another operating system is launched, you can rename the following files on your hard drive:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\avgfwdx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AVGIDSxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\avgldx86.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\avgmfx86.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\avgrkx86.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys

- You can change their extension for example to "bak".
- Then, you can restart your computer. AVG will not be engaged in the booting process at all.

However, this would require downloading an ISO CD image and creating a CD. If it is possible, you can find the Hiren's boot CD here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/download.html

Booting from the CD might require changing your BIOS configuration. This should be described in the laptop's manual. When you boot from the Hiren's boot CD you can proceed as follows:
- Select the "Mini Windows XP".
- Double-click the "This computer" icon.
- Navigate to the C:\ drive and rename the above mentioned files.
- You can also run some disk test using the HBCD menu (the only tray icon displayed), if you would like to.
- You can use e.g. the "Testing" -> "HDDscan" -> "Surface test".
- Restart the computer.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Let's look at this PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2010 10:11 PM PDT

Oops. Can't. No make, model, age, story, etc.

Count me as a doubter AVG did this. I encounter too many machines that fail when you scan with any malware or other scanner. The uninitiated owners would claim it's the scanner software that caused the issue!
Bob

Collapse -
Still incomplete machine details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2010 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's look at this PC.

I do read 2 years old which is typical for when laptops begin to have problems. There is still debate how to work with folk that think a software killed their machine. It is possible but unlikely.
Bob

Collapse -
Another "AVG" issue....
by WhyIsThisMyJob / August 29, 2010 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's look at this PC.

Okay, so I am working on my Aunt's computer(agian) and the last time I had it, I loaded AVG free on it. Now, theree months later, she is calling me again and I get an error EVERY time I try to start the computer. On first start it loads to the Windows XP screen for about 2 seconds and then crashes. So, with the F8 key, try all three versions of safe mode. They all end the same, instead of ending on Mup.sys, they and on avgrkx86.sys then they crash too. So, I treid taking it out and ataching to my "trusty" serial to usb adapter. That made my computer crash too....(not happy about that) Next I tried just adding to my computer and making it a slave drive, did not work either. Now, if anyone says to try and start in "sfae mode" just so you know it DOES NOT load. every post I have seen says to load in "safe mode" and it can't.

So, if anyone has any other solutions to this problem, please let me know. She is the family picture taker, so re-reformatting the hard drive is not an option until I can back it up.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Another "AVG" issue....
by Ondrej_AVG / August 29, 2010 4:12 PM PDT

Hello WhyIsThisMyJob,

> I loaded AVG free on it.
Are you sure about this action? As "avgrkx86.sys" is driver of AVG Anti-Rootkit component, available only in paid AVG (or Trial).

Did you rename this driver, when hard disk was in slave drive? To avoid its start?

You can follow this How-To article from AVG Free Forums to disable it.

Is possible to provide us with minidump files from folder ?:\Windows\Minidump for closer analysis? (pack in zip file, upload to a favourite online storage, provide us with link)

If you are able to start the affected computer, please make sure everything is fully updated (operating system, drivers)

Thank you

Collapse -
UBUNTU
by WhyIsThisMyJob / August 31, 2010 6:43 AM PDT

I don't think you guys read very well. The computer DOES NOT start... How am I supposed to upload anything if I cannot access anything on that hard drive? It basically rendered everything useless. One suggestion was to pop in the Windows disc, it doesn't do anything for me. The computer still shuts off, and no it is not a hardware failure... But, who knows, I may be missing something. I'm not
all-knowing, just human.

This is why I pay for Norton, and don't like Windows garbage...

Collapse -
Re: Ubuntu
by Ondrej_AVG / August 31, 2010 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: UBUNTU

Hello WhyIsThisMyJob,

According to your previous note:
> Next I tried just adding to my computer and making it a slave drive,

I expected you had attached the hard drive from affected computer to working computer as second hard drive with possibility to access files on it. Apologies for this misunderstanding.

My previously pointed thread uses Linux Live CD (AVG Rescue CD) to boot the computer from, and make needed "rename" changes of AVG drivers without running main operating system.

In case of use another boot mediums (CD, USB) without running main operating system, and the computer still shuts off when using them, the issue will be very probably in the hardware. Please check memory modules, overheating possibility (check and clean fans), all cables (connections) and power source.

Thank you

Collapse -
Thenk You...
by WhyIsThisMyJob / September 3, 2010 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ubuntu

I will be trying your suggestions. I have partly given up on it, basically frustrated (as seen in my posts). Sorry about the snippy replies...

But thank you.
-Z

Collapse -
don't give up!
by webhostingtutors / September 6, 2010 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thenk You...

I think your AVG hitched the Eset Node antivirus SW. I had the same problem in the past. I reinstalled the op sys, of course uninstalled the Eset Node and this solved my problem. I was a lesson for me, 2 several antivirus sw on the same computer simply kills it!

Collapse -
me too
by imlatino / September 9, 2012 10:36 AM PDT

I had AVG for about 3 years. At the end it was AVG that killed my computer. My comp shuts down when it loads AVG components, I can't even get to the "Log in" screen.

Other than that AVG gave me 3 years of awesome protection.

I hope I can get my stuff back, luckily I did a backup a month ago, but still I got a month of missing stuff ;/

Collapse -
RE: me too
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / September 9, 2012 5:06 PM PDT
In reply to: me too

Hi imlatino,

Please try disabling AVG as described here. If the issue appears to be resolved, please contact AVG customer care to further investigate the situation or further describe the issue in forum. (Provide us with an msinfo output for brief analysis. What is the exact error message when the system won't boot properly? If possible, take a picture of the screen using a digital camera and upload it to some public image sharing service and post here a link to the picture.)

Should the issue persist even after disabling AVG completely, it would seem the root cause lies elsewhere. You could use the AVG TechBuddy premium support service to analyze and resolve the issue remotely or try consulting some local computer repair shop.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Re: AVG
by online-business / September 15, 2012 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: me too

Hi imlatino,

Interesting problem; I too have used AVG in the past, but have never encountered a problem quite like you describe.

However, in the hopefully, unlikely event, that I happen to experience a similar problem down the road, I'ld be interested in reading a future post by you describing to what extent the advice given you by JiriF_AVG on 9/10/2012 resolved your problem.

Thanks

Collapse -
AVG/free variant(s) et al
by pgc3 / September 15, 2012 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: AVG

Just reading some of the posts about the AVG free variant creating issues some of which may have nothing to do with the download, leads me to believe that many users do not realize that some free variations ( many and most) have limitations that the paid version(s) might not have. There is no such thing as a "PANACEA" for total security on the internet but it is a good idea to have something that will cover such things as spyware/malware removal anti phishing and real time updates, etc., which freebies generally do not include. As far as freebies are concerned, for the basic purpose, AVG is a decent choice, the paid version is considerably more effective.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.