Computer Help forum

General discussion

HELP! Asus eee pc screen upside down, tried everything!

by jennibeare / April 1, 2010 10:50 PM PDT

Hi, thanks to me inadvertently pressing some random keys, my asus eepc's display is upside down. ive searched all over the net, forums etc, and tried all the suggestions; control +alt + up arrow, shift + r, rebooting with f8 and choosing last good configuration and searching through all the display options in the control panel, but to no avail. i am at my wits end. please someone must have an answer!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Asus eee pc screen upside down, tried everything!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Asus eee pc screen upside down, tried everything!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HELP! Asus eee pc screen upside down, tried everything!
by Tufenuf / April 1, 2010 11:25 PM PDT

Which video card do you have? In your Display Properties or Video Properties see if there is a screen rotation setting. Did you try Alt + Ctrl + left,or right, or down arrows?

Collapse -
upside down screen
by jennibeare / April 2, 2010 12:27 AM PDT

hi tufenuff,
yes i have tried the arrow , several thousand times, just in case!
ive had trouble finding info on the bloody graphics card, but i think this is it, i hope so!
mobile intel (R) 915gm 910gml express chipset.
bios information intelvideos bios
not that i know what any of that means, im not really a boffin, and im used to macs!
anyway, thanks, hope this info can move things along!

Collapse -
Re: upside down screen
by Tufenuf / April 2, 2010 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: upside down screen
Collapse -
still no go!
by jennibeare / April 2, 2010 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: upside down screen

hey, thanks, but its still not working. it kindof gets wierder. i cant access the graphics propertie at all. there is no icon for it on the toolbar, i cant find it in the control panel. i had already tried display -> settings -> advanced or whatever it was, but there was no option for graphic properties, and ive tried everything to find it, so it seems like something bizarre is going on. ive been through the folders on the hard drive, drivers , intel, etc, and nothing. help and support on the eeepc is useless too. i do searches for intel or graphics and no results! also, another thing seems to be not working, though im not sure if its related, but the funtion F8, to connect to an external displays isnt working either, but maybe thats a connectin or something.
anyway, any more ideas?

Collapse -
Graphic properties
by RCF_Rose / April 3, 2010 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: still no go!
Collapse -
by jennibeare / April 4, 2010 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Graphic properties

hi, the tab which is for thegraphics thingy: mobile intel 915GM/GMS,910GML express chipset; doesnt offer me any options for rotation. i have coped a pic of it, but dont know how to load it on here.
the tab options are: general, driver and resources.
the tab that preceeds this screen s called plug and play monitor and (mobile interl etc).
the options on this are general, adapter, monitor, troubleshoot, colour manager. ive hit all the buttons for advanced, or settings, and i cant find any rotation feature. i am frigging going mental!

Collapse -
by jennibeare / April 4, 2010 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: rotation

also, dont know if it makes a difference, but in safe mode it works the right way up, but obviously i cant do much with that.

Collapse -
Re: rotation
by Tufenuf / April 4, 2010 2:37 AM PDT

jennibeare, Which model number is your Asus eee pc and which version of Windows are you using? It's starting to sound like it may be a driver problem since the screen is OK when you're in SAFE mode which doesm't load the Intel driver. Post back with this info.

Collapse -
More info.
by Tufenuf / April 4, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
my eee pc
by lyse45 / September 26, 2010 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: More info.

My Eee pc did the same thing. I went to screen resolution and it said that it was Landscape(flipped). So I set it back to regular landscape and it's fine now.

Collapse -
by newcool_1230 / December 31, 2012 11:19 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">thank for the tip you saved my life. thank you very much!!<span>happy new year!!!

Collapse -
my daughter had this problem
by honda4fun / April 4, 2010 4:46 AM PDT

My daughter's cat walked across her keyboard and poof, the screen displayed upside down. I knew it had to be some hot keys, but I never had seen such a thing.

We Google'd for the fix and the CTRL/ALT/arrow key (any arrow key) trick worked for her Toshiba. I tried it on my Compaq and it doesn't.

On my computer, I go to the desktop.
Right click on "graphics properties".
Click on the "Display Settings".
On the right side, you'll see a place to check for rotation.
You can also setup a hotkey configuration there too.

Hope this helps...Sue Happy

Collapse -
new driver
by jennibeare / April 4, 2010 12:05 PM PDT

hi all,thanks for the help so far. i have ended up uninstalling the vga driver,butnow i need to get a new one to have my screen looking nice again, any suggestions? there are so many optons i am a bit bamboozled!

Collapse -
Re: new driver
by Tufenuf / April 4, 2010 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: new driver

jennibeare, Have you tried updating your video driver in Device Manager? Right click My Computer, choose Properties, Under the Hardware tab click the Device Manager button, then click the + in front of Display Adapters then double click the Intel graphics controller. Under the Drivers tab click the Update Drivers button and follow the prompts. The correct driver should still be in your system.

Collapse -
by jennibeare / April 4, 2010 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: new driver

Thanks all who offered help. Get this, after uninstalling and reinstalling the driver the screen was still upside down, BUT.. then i tried the ctrl alt up arrow trick and it worked! go figure.
very happy now!

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to see that the problem is fixed.
by Tufenuf / April 4, 2010 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: PROBLEM FIXED!!!
Collapse -
Uncanny Cat V Laptop
by RATA2E / January 26, 2012 8:37 PM PST

My ex wife's cat exactly the same so came here looking for answers. Sorted with a simple ctrl + Alt Arrow.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.