Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

HELP! Ad-Aware Download FAILS - Every Time!!!

by ladytrickster / September 9, 2008 11:30 AM PDT

Hello ~ We all know that Ad-Aware (Lavasoft SE Personal/free) is one of The Most Popular AdWare Removal Programs out there. Why is it that Every Time-6 times or more! It Fails? (repeating the same behavior expecting different results... you know...) The Download Manager goes along its merry 2+hour way, and then tells me, "Error! Files Invalid or Corrupt." or "Not a Valid Win32 Application." (I've tried to Save it in Program files instead; seems Logical) I've tried it from CNet (Love Ya) also from the Publisher - always same results: No Ad-Aware. Now that I've Deleted my old-old-old one, I am barenaked without it, and it was Always able to find some MalThingorother, even without any updates. Why is it that Everyone Else has this program But Not Me??? In fact, I've had similar failures with *nearly* all other attempted downloads. Could this be, by any chance, a problem with Windows Installer??? I am still muchly "a dummie" - but getting Ad-Aware seems like it oughta be a cinch. If anyone can give me help, I would be Eternally Grateful. Methinks there is a lot of adware junk out there which needs to be caught where my other malware catchers don't (Spybot, Spyware Terminator, Norton [no comments from The Peanut Gallery please, and Windows-Whatever-It-Does). Basically, I want Ad-Aware, and it just won't happen. Whyso? Do you know? If so, and can give me Help please use compassionately easy step-by-step instructions, as I really don't know much about some things, and more about other things. Thank You in advance, CNetters; it's been literally "bugging" me for months! I keep trying and it keeps failing. Gotta be a Better Way. Thanx. ginni aka ladytrickster p.s. If I Uninstall Windows Installer then Re-Install it, is it gonna be a snake biting its own tail? Needing the Installer to Install? har. I think I didn't have this downloadng problem before It came along... my memory fails me too...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Ad-Aware Download FAILS - Every Time!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Ad-Aware Download FAILS - Every Time!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ad-Aware SE Is No Longer Officially Supported.
by tobeach / September 9, 2008 2:58 PM PDT

You can still update it manually (NOT via built-in updater).

To do this you'll need a Winzip or other zip file "unzipper".

DIRECT DOWNLOAD FROM MIRROR SITE:

http://www.lavasoft.com/single/mirror_download.php?f=948DEWk12

JUST UNZIP & COPY .DEFS FILE (INSIDE DEF FOLDER), THEN GO TO MY COMP> C:>
PROGRAM FILES>LAVASOFT & PASTE INTO ADAWARE FOLDER.

WHEN YOU REC. MESSAGE " THE FOLDER ALREADY CONTAINS...DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE IT WITH THIS (LATER DATED ONE) REPLY YES!! THE JUST BACK OUT. DONE!! S

Oopps! Sorry about the caps! I'll have to find time to change that in my files. ShockedHappy

Collapse -
HELP! Ad-Aware 7.1.0.8 FAILS To Download
by ladytrickster / September 10, 2008 5:48 AM PDT

Re-State My Question: Ad-Aware ver.7.1.0.8 Fails To Download/Install. I'm Sorry - I've made myself Misunderstood (see my prior post). What I want is to Download the New(est) Ad-Aware ver.7.1.0.8. Forget I ever said Lavasoft SE Personal. I already know that it's no longer supported - I've Deleted it from my system. Precisely why I want the New One. The Problem:Ad-Aware7.1.0.8 Will Not Download/Install. Error Message: "Not A Valid Win32 Application" and/or "SetUp Files Are Corrupted. Obtain A New Copy Of The Program." Why is it that Everyone Else has this program But Not Me??? In fact, I've had similar failures with *nearly* all other attempted downloads. Could this be, by any chance, a problem with Windows Installer??? I am still muchly "a dummie" - but getting Ad-Aware seems like it oughta be a cinch. If anyone can give me help, I would be Eternally Grateful. I know there's lots of malware out there to catch, which no one malware-catcher by itself doesn't, hence I have various: Spybot, Spyware Terminator, Norton [no comments from The Peanut Gallery please, and Windows-Whatever-It-Does). I also want Ad-Aware, and it just won't Download/Install. Whyso? Do you know? If so, and can give me Help - please use compassionately easy step-by-step instructions, as I don't know much about some things, but more about other things. Thank You in advance, CNetters; it's been literally "bugging" me for months! I keep trying and it keeps failing. Gotta be a Better Way. Thanx. ginni aka ladytrickster p.s. If I Uninstall Windows Installer then try to Re-Install it, is it gonna be a snake biting its own tail? Needing the Installer to Install? har. I think I didn't have this downloadng problem before The Installer came along... my own "memory" fails me too... btw:XP Pro SP2 5.1 Dial-UpDinosaur, IE7 - But I Use MSN Explorer9

Collapse -
Did you EVER install a download accelerator?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2008 5:53 AM PDT

The reason I ask is that "Dial-up" users often do that. Fix? Dump any DAP.
Bob

Collapse -
Ad-Aware Fails Download & Download Accelerators
by ladytrickster / September 10, 2008 3:06 PM PDT

Bob - No, I haven't installed a Download Accelerator, tho I've thought about it. I must be A Really Big Dummie - What's DAP? Guessing: Download Accelerator Program? I'm also guessing/or you're hinting that maybe installers, etc.[Windows Installer?] might be a Problem? You didn't say that, so I won't assume. Wha'd'ya think? Error Message:"Not a Valid Win32 Application" of "Files are Corrupted." I've tried to get Ad-Aware to download a bunch of times, and it just won't. If any good person here can help me solve the Download Failure problem so I can obtain Ad-Aware I'd be Twice-Eternally Grateful. [that's a Verrry Long Time!] Methinks this is getting tech-forum material, but if any good person here becomes "Aware" [har] of a solution to the download failures... I still need help to get Ad-Aware up and running. [for me too while we're at it] thanks much. ginni

Collapse -
I'm going to write MBAM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2008 10:53 PM PDT

Malwarebytes MBAM is the better choice for today. If you can't get it, have a friend put it on CD or memory stick for you.

Collapse -
Is It Possible That Norton Is Preventing
by tobeach / September 10, 2008 3:33 PM PDT

download & install of newest Adaware 8 (competitor & possible conflict)?
What IF you go to Lavasoft site, to download page:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Suggest download from either Security Wonks or Major Geeks under "more download sites"! Don't click on anything else while there.

& then BEFORE trying download, disable Norton auto-protect (background guard) THEN download & save Ad-Aware. Go STRAIGHT home & off line. Does download complete? After NOW leaving net, try a right click scan of download w/ Spybot for safety & try installing Ad-Aware. IF successful, then re-start Norton Auto-protect by rebooting machine or manually re-enabling Norton. Then run update & scans.
This (preventing) has happened in the past & they say doesn't happen now but....??

You might also try disabling S&D Tea Timer (if used)& S.T. during install process to be sure they don't corrupt or delay the install process, 'tho it's mostly AV's that are known to corrupt drivers in programs.

My machine is not supported for latest AAW so I'm still running & updating SE manually. Thought you also had. Sorry! Mea Culpa!

I could be completely off base on this, but something is corrupting or blocking install. Bob's point about download accelerators is also well founded as they are known for incomplete/ corrupted files in many cases.

To be honest, if it were me, I'd just do without AAW (extremely large: 20+ Megs)and get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM.exe) instead.

Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Download Failures & Norton etc Preventing
by ladytrickster / September 10, 2008 4:40 PM PDT

-tobeach!- I think you're brilliant [bob too]! I never thunk about that aspect of malware-catchers catching malware catchers! crrrazy, huh? Don't know S&D Tea Timer, but it's always Time-For-Tea with me, or To-The-Beach, cuz I live on the Northern CA Mendocino Coast [aside]. I'm already on the "disabled" list, so what's another disable - at least it's temporary! Great Idea! I'll try that. You said, "I'm still running & updating SE manually. Thought you also had. Sorry! Mea Culpa!" Oh, No! No Mea Culpa's, dear. A Lifetime of them! It's good to know someone besides me who would stick with it if-it-works-don't-fix-it. My feeble brain will need to read your magic to manually update the old SE [ooops -I've deleted it. bummeratthebeach], and it'll stretch my patience, but it can be done [if I decide to]. So Weird - Just since the time I started this question about Ad-Aware, it's now up to ver 8! Howz a girl s'pposed to keep up? While I'm at it being a "dummie" [not blonde], is "adware" a different beast from "spyware?" answer: yes. but it's all "malware." great word. Like the clothes I have. har. But none of the other anti-malware/spyware programs proclaim to treat "adware." So if that being true, reason enough to want Ad-Aware 8...9... thanks >tobeach & bob. Anyone else wanna take a shot at it? More ideas Why I Can't Download? I'll go disabled and see what happens. thanks. ginni "On a molecular level I really am quite busy." [author?]

Collapse -
Go with tobeach's
by Tarq57 / September 10, 2008 7:44 PM PDT

last idea. MBAM.
Honestly. Why mess with an inferior program that you have trouble downloading?
Superantispyware is also very good. Larger download size, though.

Collapse -
Hi, Thanks For The Reply.....
by tobeach / September 11, 2008 3:05 PM PDT

& get beach time while you can before it gets to cold. I lived in Rancho Santa Fe (Heaven's Gate & a Golf Course) & went to school in Solana Beach & UCLA (Irvine).

I, personally, am not recommending Ad-Aware any more since so many complaints & newer & better (IMHO) free programs (& their pay versions) are out there.

I loved my SE for years & my Spybot tambien! I suspect trying to please Vista has caused many on-going nightmares for our old stalwarts, so brave & so true. So sad.....

Unfortunately, the last place I knew to download an old Ad-Aware SE got closed down (ordered to pull it) & when they stop the mirror updates, it'll stop being with me. At least, it's a cheap divorce (rare in Calif!) Good Luck & let us know how it goes (good or bad)! Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.